Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pps and customs

• 31-03-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi all. I bought a bookcase from a website in Jan. Turned out to be a uk website. Customs are now ringing me...a little too much for my pps number. I am happy to pay customs. I have told them four times to stop asking for my pps. Like it was just an online purchase. It was for personal use. Sounds a bit extreme to be insisting on a pps number or I can set up an eori number. I dont know what this is. I have asked to the bill several times. They only want my pps number so far. How do I get them off my back?
    Karen.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They shouldn't need your PPS number. Unusual for Customs to ring you directly, normally An Post or the courier that shipped it would call you to sort out VAT and charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It's probably customs dept in in freight company.

What is the value of the purchase? - If its over a certain value (no sure of current value - but probably around €700/€800) it will need full customs entry and for that they would require eori or pps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

It is over a 1000 euro. I am a bit annoyed at the pps thing. Like I have the bookcase over a month if not two months

• Registered Users Posts: 47 homerno

Feets wrote: »
    Hi all. I bought a bookcase from a website in Jan. Turned out to be a uk website. Customs are now ringing me...a little too much for my pps number. I am happy to pay customs. I have told them four times to stop asking for my pps. Like it was just an online purchase. It was for personal use. Sounds a bit extreme to be insisting on a pps number or I can set up an eori number. I dont know what this is. I have asked to the bill several times. They only want my pps number so far. How do I get them off my back?
    Karen.

I would think you will need to pay 23% vat on it's value . It's value will be the cost including vat transport cost and any insurance paid . Might also be tarrifs to be paid depending on the commodity code and the country of origin. It may not have been made in the uk . I would think you will be paying for the clearing agent aswel and possibly for the uk customs clearing. I hope i am wrong. Best of luck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It is over a 1000 euro. I am a bit annoyed at the pps thing. Like I have the bookcase over a month if not two months

If you need to supply PPS because of the value, you either need to give them the information and pay the charges, or have it picked up for return.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you need to supply PPS because of the value, you either need to give them the information and pay the charges, or have it picked up for return.

Again i hope i am wrong but returned or not the vat would still need to be paid .

I don't see the issue in providing your pps number.

Mod <SNIP> This is about PPS numbers and customs. Anything else you can bring up in After Hours.
    If you are importing goods over the limit (€900 I believe) from outside the EU, you have to provide a tax reference number. For an individual that's the pps number.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I don't see the issue in providing your pps number.

Mod <SNIP> This is about PPS numbers and customs. Anything else you can bring up in After Hours.

If you are importing goods over the limit (€900 I believe) from outside the EU, you have to provide a tax reference number. For an individual that's the pps number.

As the gubberment already knows her pps number it is most like they clearing agent that want's it. I am very surprised she got the unit delivered at all. It will be interesting to see how she gets on.

Thank all for your responses. Yes it seems to be an agent that is dealing with it. I think the bookcases came from holland through the UK.

Thank all for your responses. Yes it seems to be an agent that is dealing with it. I think the bookcases came from holland through the UK.

How did you fair out?

• Advertisement

Havent received a phone call today so far. I thought that only public services could request and actually need ur pps with the exception of banks maybe.

I thought that only public services could request and actually need ur pps with the exception of banks maybe.

Wrong.
    Anyone can request your pps number. It's not a secret number.

It's up to you to decide whether the request is reasonable.

I'm an employer. I need the pps numbers of staff. I provide these to my accountant.

If I want an eyetest, Specsavers will request my pps number and in I give it to them. Same with my doctor and my dentist.

Mod - <Snip> Again with this? This is your second time on this thread so now you get a warning. There are after hours or politics threads you can take this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,987 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is an offence for any person or body to request or hold a record of a PPSN. unless they are permitted by law to do so
    https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/4bc1b4-personal-public-service-number-register-of-users/

Advertisement