Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Snooker Championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Parrott has always been a lazy commentator who seems more interested in quoting match odds than any indepth analysis. Saying he knows nothing about Craigie is extraordinary....imagine being paid by a national broadcaster to cover the tournament and then say you know nothing about a player in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Foulds saying he thinks they might outlaw the williams break off. Wasnt aware the wpbsa had canvassed player opinion on it. Williams point was a fair one though - how do you go about banning a perfectly legal shot? Not sure what exact rule you would bring in, at least one red hit a cushion or something? Definitely not straightforward i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Foulds saying he thinks they might outlaw the williams break off. Wasnt aware the wpbsa had canvassed player opinion on it. Williams point was a fair one though - how do you go about banning a perfectly legal shot? Not sure what exact rule you would bring in, at least one red hit a cushion or something? Definitely not straightforward i reckon.

Something similar to cushion rule in pool. A ball, either cue ball or otherwise, must hit a cushion after impact. Only on the break off though.

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Something similar to cushion rule in pool. A ball, either cue ball or otherwise, must hit a cushion after impact. Only on the break off though.

Yeah, like that, but lot of snooker folk tend to get a bit touchy if you suggest rules that might seem to come from pool. Not sure they'll change anything tbh. Unless a few started copying williams anyway, not sure i've seen anyone do so yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

B2021M wrote: »
    Parrott has always been a lazy commentator who seems more interested in quoting match odds than any indepth analysis. Saying he knows nothing about Craigie is extraordinary....imagine being paid by a national broadcaster to cover the tournament and then say you know nothing about a player in it.

Ah now Parrott says 'bottle' or 'graft' a lot crucial input.... :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Also Parrot in his scouse accent using the terms 'plumb' and 'granite' are always living somewhere in my head

First round is all about surviving it and getting through. How many times have we seen a good performance in the first round come to nothing a week later in the best of 25s. And vice versa. Higgins, Robertson, or Willo could go on a mad one next week and be unplayable.

Also Parrot in his scouse accent using the terms 'plumb' and 'granite' are always living somewhere in my head

'Black' is the best one. I think another poster was correct though Parrott does not seem to be enjoying his job anymore.

I remember he used to be happy and cheery. Now he just seems to have a grumpy head on him. Going through the motions.

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Yeah, like that, but lot of snooker folk tend to get a bit touchy if you suggest rules that might seem to come from pool. Not sure they'll change anything tbh. Unless a few started copying williams anyway, not sure i've seen anyone do so yet.

Nobody beats Quinten Hann's break off. I can't remember if he was fined for it But I remember Steve and Virgo were raging about it.

I could detect Virgo slowly starting to get wound up, at Williams break off.
    It was a slow burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Ah now Parrott says 'bottle' or 'graft' a lot crucial input.... :D

Haha yeah! If he was doing football work it would be non-stop 'the crowd is like a 12th man'.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I have watched a lot of snooker since Monday, I missed the first couple of days, but I have not watched BBC once, and have no reason to. Not surprising that John Parrott is being critisised, as he gives the impression he is just going through the motions and the comic scouser act wore off years ago. Dominic Dale and Anthony Hamilton are good on Eurosport.

Nobody beats Quinten Hann's break off. I can't remember if he was fined for it But I remember Steve and Virgo were raging about it.

I could detect Virgo slowly starting to get wound up, at Williams break off.
    It was a slow burner.

Hann did it a lot so i guess he paid a few fines along the way. Ronnie once whitewashed him in a tournament, think hann got 4 points or something and just smashed the balls around every frame, so they withheld all his prize money for the tournament. One crazy sob it has to be said. I think with williams its a bit against the spirit of the game, its just very negative and I think a few players feel that way, i remember tom ford getting visibly irked with it when they met a couple of months back. It's his right to do it, but nobody has to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Haven't watched a single second on BBC. Can't be bothered to check if its on at all, and if so what channel, when I know it'll be on Eurosport.

The bbc is a bit like the racing on itv, it's clearly more aimed towards the casual, once or twice a year viewer. Can be a bit frustrating for more long term fans - watching Steve Davis demonstrating a good bridge hand, for example - but that's just how it is. They'll analyse there's a depth line they won't cross. And doesnt matter so much once you have eurosport. The discussions with mark williams last night, as well as with allen the previous night, were excellent.

Yeah, I'm enjoying the Eurosport coverage, I used to think it was a bit meh when I saw bits of it on quest but they really try new angles to the coverage. It also doesn't feel as stuffy, and I love the BBC coverage and what the BBC have done for the game, but it always came across a bit stale and stiff at times. Eurosport is more cheeky and relaxed and it's easier to relate to them all in the studio I find.

If you get an annual deal on Eurosport for 40 quid which they have from time to time it is well worth getting.

Yeah, I'm enjoying the Eurosport coverage, I used to think it was a bit meh when I saw bits of it on quest but they really try new angles to the coverage. It also doesn't feel as stuffy, and I love the BBC coverage and what the BBC have done for the game, but it always came across a bit stale and stiff at times. Eurosport is more cheeky and relaxed and it's easier to relate to them all in the studio I find.

If you get an annual deal on Eurosport for 40 quid which they have from time to time it is well worth getting.

Only Eurosport I get would be from streams or Youtube highlights.

I have the BBC and the 'red button channel' hooked up on a satellite dish.

When I think of now I suppose you could say I am snookered! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Hendry & McManus commentating on O’Sullivan v McGill - absolutely perfect !

Have really come to admire Anthony McGill. He's almost an anomaly among modern players in todays game, a guy who really only comes to his own over this format. Does nothing much through the season, best of 7s dont bring out the best in him, but over this track, definitely not to be underestimated. Could be a good tight match this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Ronnie looking in great form here.

5 centuries in the last 7 frames is good going!

• Advertisement

I praise mcgill but if ronnie keeps that going, will be difficult to stick with him. Average shot time 16 seconds, probably bit miffed to hear mjw had sneaked in front of him in the speedster stakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ronnie means business here.

In answer to McManus conundrum, i think mcgill should be keeping it tighter. That red was too risky, ok if its a shot to nothing but not when leaving a red over the middle bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just put on the TV and those last 2 shots typifies Anthony McGill. Awful! There's little point in watching this match.

I'm afraid that was just slack from mcgill, a chance like that he's got to take. If dennis was on commentary he'd have put it down to "tension in the cue arm", but really no excuse for it at all. Pure carelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Turned it off. Ronnie's under no pressure. He can go for shots and miss because he knows Anthony will cough up chance after chance. As I said before, the draw is so handy for him again this year. He's guaranteed to be playing a qualifier in the next round. Selby is probably still fuming over last year. Hopefully he puts an end to him. Last year's Championship was an embarrassment quality wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jan Verhass was seen on the replay to mouth WOW at that McGill long red tight to the cushion, some shot alright.

Strumms wrote: »
    Jan Verhass was seen on the replay to mouth WOW at that McGill long red tight to the cushion, some shot alright.

He was just calling 'one' as the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

zuutroy wrote: »
      He was just calling 'one' as the break.

Well he ‘looked’ surprised ;)

1. Advertisement
    2. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Fancy Robertson for the title this year.

Advertisement