Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers or pup payment ?

Options
  • 08-04-2021 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

i am due to do my final exams after 4 years in college. i didnt have a job this last two years as my course was full on so i got by on savings and a loan.
    Can i claim some sort of social welfare until i get fixed up with a job or a graduate programme? WOuld it be a pup or a jobseekers . I've heard that because i am living at home I would be means tested - is this right ? What would they have to earn below? I am 24. thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

You can apply for jobseekers allowance. It's means tested because it's allowance not benefit. To get jobseekers benefit you need to have sufficient stamps in the relevant tax year (currently 2019).

As you're 24 and living at home your parents' income will be taken into account. There's a complicated formula they use depending on your parents' income, family size etc. See here https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

If you're still confused try calling welfare or citizen's info. They're usually very helpful if you can get them on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

ok so heres another question, my parents both get deducted pension and avc. They couldnt afford to pay into their company pension when we were all small so they playing catch up now. The getting close to retirement age.
    Therefore their net wages are low - will this be taken into account when means tested ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I'm not an expert on this but if you follow the link it does say that net income for means testing does not include superannuation, i.e. pension contributions. But important to note that net income for means testing is not the same as their actual take-home pay.

Advertisement