Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up of hearing about Shane Lowry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Ah, could be worse: Cricket.

Imagine even in engerland (outside of yorkshire) where it has maybe <1%? of their total national interest, it plagues the end of major news broadcasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Imagine even in engerland (outside of yorkshire) where it has maybe <1%? of their total national interest, it plagues the end of major news broadcasts.

England Cricket who just won a WC with an Irish man as captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Shefwedfan wrote: »

On the Eastern shore of Cork Harbour, between Lakeview and Rostellan Farsid, there is a strange, dark place called East Ferry. They have a cricket team, but I have long suspected it's just an excuse for three-day piss-ups. Howzat!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Indeed, but on any given day do the regular folks of engerland really take any notice of cricket ball?

Sure some fancier schools/areas may have it as their main sport, but it wouldn't be common in many urban areas, less so in scot, wales, ni etc.

Indeed, but on any given day do the regular folks of engerland really take any notice of cricket ball?

Sure some fancier schools/areas may have it as their main sport, but it wouldn't be common in many urban areas, less so in scot, wales, ni etc.

Some would say that rugby is the same in England but then they have the highest amount of registered rugby players of all the counties in World

Quick google and England has 884k registered cricket players.....

That's just players.....so fanbase is fairly big

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    On the Eastern shore of Cork Harbour, between Lakeview and Rostellan Farsid, there is a strange, dark place called East Ferry. They have a cricket team, but I have long suspected it's just an excuse for three-day piss-ups. Howzat!! :pac:

Drive around Dublin any weekend and you will see loads of cricket played in parks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This. Still getting FB posts a week later on Englands achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    You've obviously never played a round of 18 holes. You need to be physically fit and strong.

Tell that to the 70 year old women who play it as their hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

He only won it yesterday.
    Give the lad his limelight for **** sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

bobbyss wrote: »
    Endless stuff. Theresa Mannion did a bad job on the tv last night from his clubhouse. But have had enough at this stage. Who shares this fedupness? How do you escape it? Start a thread on boards?

Fed up hearing about something so starts a thread on boards about it...

About as logical as putting nipples on a suit of armour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Well my view on golf courses is lay concrete over the lot of em and build bloody houses not grown men using sticks and little balls.

Yes and put people out of work.

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A bunch of posh lads strolling about a field for four days in silly clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Electric picnic is 3 days no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thanks for describing your past-time, but golfers are some of the most skillful sportsmen in the world.

The Pro-Am was on in the week leading to the Irish Open a few weeks ago, and seemingly the difference between a brilliant amateur player and even a run-of-the-mill professional is like chalk and cheese. Even their technique of hitting a drive where they don't appear to be trying to put too much power into the strike but are still bombing it 300 yards, and the crisp sound it makes on contact, shows their talent.

Look I understand its not everyone's cup of tea, but the beauty of sport is that its subjective. But to my mind they are at the upper level of talent among all sporting professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

touts wrote: »
    Boris is sending in the troops on Friday.

Indeed he hasn't even waited until Friday -- frontline shocktroop commando toads have gone into N. Wicklow.
    Coveney is doing a 'Chemical Ali' on the whole thing and won't acknowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Never mind all that, he is only 32???!! Fcuk me, I would have easily put another 10 years on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Endless stuff. Theresa Mannion did a bad job on the tv last night from his clubhouse. But have had enough at this stage. Who shares this fedupness? How do you escape it? Start a thread on boards?

OP needs perking up.

Could somebody post a video of Alizee singing Johnny Meagher? (The French call it J'en ai marre. It means "I'm fed up.")

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

It was a remarkable achievement by a very talented and very likeable young man. Anyone who whinges about a few hours of coverage celebrating his success demonstrates a scary amount of begrudgery, in my opinion.

If you don't like the coverage, then don't read the papers, watch the news on go on social media for a few days. And in particular, don't start a thread about it if you're trying to avoid the subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Well done Shane, what's wrong with eejits on boards these days?

Must be I am old and out of touch to celebrate an Irish person winning a major championship

As my young lad would say "F the haters"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Keyzer wrote:
    Fed up hearing about something so starts a thread on boards about it...

abff wrote:
    If you don't like the coverage, then don't read the papers, watch the news on go on social media for a few days. And in particular, don't start a thread about it if you're trying to avoid the subject!

Is irony lost altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

squawker wrote: »
    "F the haters"

That only makes me want to hate more! And I really don’t want to hate but yes well done beardy man..

Bobblehats wrote: »
    That only makes me want to hate more! And I really don’t want to hate but yes well done beardy man..

This is a quote from my 10 year old son that insisted that I post it, he actually forced me to post the remark as he is amazed that people has posted negative things about Shane's win

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I kind of agree- we’ve really entered silly season with the news is the just the thing to fill column space and airwaves. Just head to Clara, stick a microphone in front of the ordinary “paple “ and record.
    I can’t stand golf to watch (it’s grand to play it) so eulogizing someone that can putt a ball in the ground with aplomb is just too much for me. More luck to the guy but the coverage is OTT and probably not what the chap himself would want at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kneemos wrote: »
    It's the ****ing endless deification of himself and everyone around him.
    Embarrassing shoite.

The patronizing “he’s such a decent guy” gets me- it’s like as if you’re expected to be a total arsehole these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

squawker wrote: »
    This is a quote from my 10 year old son that insisted that I post it, he actually forced me to post the remark as he is amazed that people has posted negative things about Shane's win

Yes it’s very prevalent. Pay no mind to the detractors

road_high wrote: »
    The patronizing “he’s such a decent guy” gets me- it’s like as if you’re expected to be a total arsehole these days

I don't know the guy is the same as any other sportsperson, who the **** cares, just take inspiration from a fellow Irishman who scaled the highest peak of his profession in sport and be glad for the guy

Wtf is so wrong with that? Or is it an edgy response from a 14 year old child to dislike his success?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Irish sportsperson achieves something remarkable against a field of by and large the greatest that the world has to offer... and there is begrudgery by the skip load, marvelous ! This place just gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Fair play to Shane. Feck the begrudgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think the begrudgery is overstated, 99% of people are very pleased for the guy and rightly so.

Of course the usual amount of miserable bastards will find their way to After Hours. But I don't think their opinions actually reflect what most people are thinking out there in real life - much like a lot of what's posted in After Hours.

Advertisement