Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravity Enduro 2019

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Just in case anyone is interested, the final Enduro of the year and final round of the Mondraker Grassroots Enduro takes place next Sunday in Sligo, hosted by Northwest MTB.

Real short climbs, fast trails with a mix of everything, being a grassroots event means you can take plenty of repeat runs over the 3 stages on the day.

Entries closing this weekend, if you're on the fence get signed up now, these trails are club run and not open to to anyone usually, and quite hard to find the best ones on your own, so take the trip down and see what Sligo has to offer.

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=5895

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Great fun up in Sligo today. Seriously greasy trails but the weather played ball on the day itself. Fair play and thanks to everyone who organised it - it ran very well and the trails were really good. Will defo check out more of the Grassroots next year.

Did 1 and 2 three times and 3 twice. Transition up after each trail was grand - definitely makes it more accessible. Had a few offs before I started to take it a bit handier - nearly hit a spectator on 2, and someone nearly ran over me on 3 when I was literally lying in mud after a wipeout! No mechanicals which I was really grateful for.

Beautiful part of the country and some lovely views from Union Woods.

Just one e-bike I think - they don't seem to have taken off for racing.

steamsey wrote: »
    Great fun up in Sligo today. Seriously greasy trails but the weather played ball on the day itself. Fair play and thanks to everyone who organised it - it ran very well and the trails were really good. Will defo check out more of the Grassroots next year.

Did 1 and 2 three times and 3 twice. Transition up after each trail was grand - definitely makes it more accessible. Had a few offs before I started to take it a bit handier - nearly hit a spectator on 2, and someone nearly ran over me on 3 when I was literally lying in mud after a wipeout! No mechanicals which I was really grateful for.

Beautiful part of the country and some lovely views from Union Woods.

Just one e-bike I think - they don't seem to have taken off for racing.

Glad you liked it. It had rained all week so there's not much that could be done about the grease!!

Getting good feedback so far, which is always good to hear.

There's usually a few more E-Bikes but guessing the distance and last round of the year put some people off. There's a lad from Bree who's been at the other rounds.

Decided not to race myself but did run some of the stages over the day and was raging I didn't, local knowledge and all that.

Does anyone know when the results from Sligo will be posted? Dying to see how bad I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭prunudo

Did you stick with flats or go back to clipless? And how did you find the format of the race versus the gravity enduro set up.
    Depending on locations for the races next year I might give one or two of them a go.

Straight back to clipped in after Carrick. Gave flats a good go - did most of this year and all the 2019 Gravity Enduro's on flats but happy to go back to being clipped in. Can't explain the difference exactly but quite happy with my result in Sligo having gone back to clipless versus disappointed all year with Gravity Enduro results on the flats. I know there are probably other variables at play but felt solid on the bike on Sunday - really enjoyed it.) I like the mud so that might have helped too).

I'll see how it goes over the winter with clipless but am going to invest in new clipless shoes anyway as the current ones are about to disintegrate.

I liked the format and again - thanks so much to everyone who organised the race. The trails were great and I love the fact that with these races you get to see places you otherwise would probably never get to.

It's more accessible than the Gravity Enduro's (GEs). If you have the time and energy on race day, you can session the trails and give yourself a good chance of improving times with each run. I like the way it's your best time on each trail that counts so if you have a bad run, you aren't too disappointed as you can do it again (time permitting). With the GE's - you realistically practice each trail once and need to conserve energy for the next day - so very different strategies. If you mess up on race day in a GE, tough luck! I did 8 runs yesterday - only because the transition was so manageable. You have a plan like I'll leave 3 because I don't think I can do too much better on it, but I messed up that berm on 2, so I'll give it one more go and try to shave a few seconds off overall time.

Ultimately I'd probably choose a standard GE over a Grassroots but am delighted to have done this one and having enjoyed it so much and will defo do as many Grassroots as I can next year.

Didn't get to do a DH this year but will ask santa for a fullface and give one a go in 2020.

https://imgur.com/vP9Chmw

Quick gif on some of the slippiness on Stage 2 - nearly hit a spectator after a botched little jump

Quick gif on some of the slippiness on Stage 2 - nearly hit a spectator after a botched little jump

You don't need to pull up on that, and that's not slippy, we call that normal. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Cheers for those youtube uploads, great for doing the routes on later dates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement