Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravity Enduro 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

So now that I've got Ballinastoe out of the way, I'm thinking about the next one I'll get to. Won't make Killaloe but I'm thinking of giving the Slade Valley one a go.
    Will probably try and get over in the next couple of weekends but have never ever been so any pointers about finding trials, parking etc. Just want to get a rough of idea of what the place is like, cheers for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

jvan wrote: »
    So now that I've got Ballinastoe out of the way, I'm thinking about the next one I'll get to. Won't make Killaloe but I'm thinking of giving the Slade Valley one a go.
    Will probably try and get over in the next couple of weekends but have never ever been so any pointers about finding trials, parking etc. Just want to get a rough of idea of what the place is like, cheers for any advice.

Contact the guys in one of the clubs in the area and see if you can tag along to a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Slade Valley: http://www.imbrc.com/

Anyone down in Killaloe this weekend, how are the conditions and trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Anyone down in Killaloe this weekend, how are the conditions and trails?

A club mate is down there said the place is class but the climbing is rough and the down hills are severe enough he got into a bit of bother on one of the runs had a big off.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    A club mate is down there said the place is class but the climbing is rough and the down hills are severe enough he got into a bit of bother on one of the runs had a big off.

Few clips I saw on Instagram look a bit more technical than anything from round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Few clips I saw on Instagram look a bit more technical than anything from round 1.
    He was saying everything is manageable but you carry a lot of speed through the trails. He reckons if it rains it'll be interesting :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    He was saying everything is manageable but you carry a lot of speed through the trails. He reckons if it rains it'll be interesting :D

More nice clips on their Instagram page today. Looked like varying surface types and more importantly dry conditions.

https://youtu.be/5lwvDOjoBnc

Here's a video I found of stage 1, looks like lovely trails.

He actually has more if you search on his channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

https://youtu.be/5lwvDOjoBnc

Here's a video I found of stage 1, looks like lovely trails.

He actually has more if you search on his channel.
    Subscribed a few months ago when I was thinking of hitting Ticknock for the first time - he has a heap of footage of stages from previous events all over the country :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Top Dog wrote: »
    Subscribed a few months ago when I was thinking of hitting Ticknock for the first time - he has a heap of footage of stages from previous events all over the country :cool:

That's me! Trying to keep track of the Enduro stages over the years. Usually stick up practice day vids for anyone who can't make it but didn't make the practice day myself last weekend. Was interesting not doing the practice - was a lot of fun not knowing where to go - decent crash on 2, which I got away with by bailing off the bike, and managed to crash AFTER the finish line on 2 aswell.

Savage trails - would defo go back down.

steamsey wrote: »
    That's me! Trying to keep track of the Enduro stages over the years. Usually stick up practice day vids for anyone who can't make it but didn't make the practice day myself last weekend. Was interesting not doing the practice - was a lot of fun not knowing where to go - decent crash on 2, which I got away with by bailing off the bike, and managed to crash AFTER the finish line on 2 aswell.

Savage trails - would defo go back down.

No way, thank you, could loose a lot of time going through your channel.
    I wondered watching stage 2 was it your first attempt and were you hitting it blind. Funny how one incident can then lead you making silly mistakes further down the trail. Its hard to clear the head and not to spend the next 3-4 corners rethinking what went wrong only for you come a cropper again.
    And thank you again for taking the time to upload your videos.

Was up at Slade last week for the first time. The first Gravity Enduro there is on in two weeks this weekend. Seems like a decent place. Was on 6 or 7 trails - all started from aerial point at top of the hill. Not particularly steep (i.e. not Djouce steep) and will be interesting to see what biking.ie do to get the most of the trails.

Transitions, assuming most trail heads will be at the top aerials, don't look like they'll be too bad. Should be good for spectating too - as trails relatively well meshed together - not too far to go between trails.

Plenty of roots, so will be interesting if it's wet.

Interested to hear from anyone who knows the trails there better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I ride in Slade a lot. It's a great spot, but it's a small hill and the runs are all quite short. At the moment there are 6 'enduro' trails up there that IMBRC use in their own enduro league. They all involve a decent amount of climbing mixed in as well. Not sure how they well they compare to the longer stages in the likes of Carrick.

Having said that we did see some new lines being developed at the weekend, and old ones opening back up again, so maybe the plan is to have a greater number of short stages - 7 or 8 maybe? Either way it should be a fun race, and very interesting if it rains!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I've raced the enduro summer leagues for a few years up there. Absolutely love the trails and soft transitions. The summer series is 5 stages and comfortably done in 2 hours. I presume Niall and the lads will be looking at 7/8 stages or trying to make the transitions longer some how.

I'm just off a 3 month layoff with an ankle injury so will prob just support some friends racing over the weekend but slade is class and racing will be very tight between the pro's.

Hi Bogmanfan, what watch do you wear when riding.. asking for a friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Hi Bogmanfan, what watch do you wear when riding.. asking for a friend ;)

Patek obviously

But really I just use a Garmin

Good luck to everyone taking part today in Slade, looks like the weather may hold out. I had a mechanical issue during the week so unfortunately can't be there.

Did Slade over last weekend. Was another great Enduro. They made the most out of the hill. Struggled fitness wise - not nearly as fit as I though. Crashed on Stage 3 - tapped the brakes before a bomb hole and front slid out. Also couldn't get the pace up on the climb on Stage 6 which cost me dearly. Was a good turnout - think 250 people entered. Hard to believe some of the times people put in - fair play to everyone. Weather played ball in a big way after the mud fest on the Saturday.

Looking forward to Cahir now and can't wait to get back out on the bike.

Anyone down in Cahir at the weekend, how did it go? Looked like wet conditions from the bits on Instagram I saw.
    Signed up to Carrick, so that will be a bit of a goal to keep me motivated to get the training in, only 4 weeks to go!

Round 5 Carrick, on this weekend, good luck to all doing it. Weather looks decent for a change. Seem to have knocked a stage off, 5 compared to last years 6 but seemingly a couple of stages starting higher up. Doesn't seem that long ago that it was coming up to round 1 in Ballinastoe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yup doing carrick , first race on the new bike and I can't wait. it's a highlight of the year. Not really surprised that they've switched it up, it was more or less same trails for a few years. Fair play to Niall. I presume a few of the existing top sections will be in use. It will be a tough day out on the bike, the notes say 23km but heading to the top a few times!

I was anticipating over 30km so don't mind its only 23.

prunudo wrote: »
    I was anticipating over 30km so don't mind its only 23.

They may recalibrate their measuring devices! My garmin was 31km after the 5 stages.
    Event went well, lovely stages. Long pedal to start of stage 1 and then straight in the deep end with a few rock drops (there were chicken lines provided) followed by a techinal rock garden section after that it was all pretty straightforward. Stage 2 nice and flowy, stage 3 was a long one with nothing too daunting. Stage 4 similar to 2 and stage 5 probably a mixture of the previous 4 with a bit of everything.
    Overall happy with how the event went, had pr's on every stage, no mechanicals and no injuries so all good. Only slight downer is, I was way down the placings in category. I know its all about the taking part etc but after giving it my all on the stages I'd be lying if I said i wasn't disappointed in how i placed. Will have to do some thinking about ways to improve before next season.

They may recalibrate their measuring devices! My garmin was 31km after the 5 stages.
    Event went well, lovely stages. Long pedal to start of stage 1 and then straight in the deep end with a few rock drops (there were chicken lines provided) followed by a techinal rock garden section after that it was all pretty straightforward. Stage 2 nice and flowy, stage 3 was a long one with nothing too daunting. Stage 4 similar to 2 and stage 5 probably a mixture of the previous 4 with a bit of everything.
    Overall happy with how the event went, had pr's on every stage, no mechanicals and no injuries so all good. Only slight downer is, I was way down the placings in category. I know its all about the taking part etc but after giving it my all on the stages I'd be lying if I said i wasn't disappointed in how i placed. Will have to do some thinking about ways to improve before next season.

Savage 2 days on the bike. Great trails and bone dry. Went for consistency on the race day - didn't pay off. Should have gone more balls out. No crashes or offs - and bike was 100% so nothing to blame! Disappointed with my result but really enjoyed the weekend. Big turn out down there.

They may recalibrate their measuring devices! My garmin was 31km after the 5 stages..

Was thinking same thing - no way that was 23km.

I'd have to agree, while I went quicker than I have before, I was disappointed with my result. It was not a surprise as I knew I lost a lot of time from small mistakes, playing it too safe and not knowing where I was going particularly on 3. 4 seemed to go the best out of the lot. 1 and 5 I had practiced but was not in the zone for 1 and I was a bit tired at end of 5.. No crashes though so that's something and the bike was perfect. As someone mentioned on the day the stage that you felt went best is not necessarily your best. I was sure I had done a good job on 2 but turned out 4 was relatively the quickest.. I did enjoy 4 I did well on the top section and was fairly consistent lower down as well. Hoping to get back to carrick next weekend to see if I can do some bits better while its fresh in my head. Savage weekend out on the bike all the same.. amazing trails. Didn't hear any complaints about the pedally bits either!

Interesting that we all had similar feelings about how our own performances went, doing well but not placing as high as we wanted. Can only be a good thing to have that hunger to try harder for next year.

Had a long post typed out but lost it.
    Much like yourselves, once entered in a race i want to do well or at least do myself justice, despite claims to the contrary. I'm used to finishing a bit further up in xc even when I had much less fitness than I do now. I'm trying to take the positives. I knew even at the time where a lot of the time was lost, mostly it was from taking bad lines but usually on less techy bits, missing a berm or rut, that ruins your momentum. Lesson there is to look further ahead. Happy with how I did the steep and rocky bits, on the roots I could have carried more speed. Cornering hasn't fully clicked for me on this bike, that will take time. Dont feel that I'm really pushing it there but thats what practice is for. Again trying to take the positives I felt for the most part that the bike was not ahead of me, I was able to put it where I wanted, which is important in Carrick with a lot of deep ruts and chutes. I'm hoping to get back to Carrick this Sunday actually while its still fresh in my mind :)
    For next year I'll target races in locations that I know reasonably well and ride frequently. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Judging by the few videos I've seen it seemed a very fast course, which may be why some of you may feel you finished lower than expected, those small mistakes usually cost a lot more time the faster the course is.

I'm currently trying to get out of the bottom quarter of the results of the races I enter....

• Advertisement

I'd agree.. it was fast.. all about carrying speed through those faster sections. And at higher speeds its easier to miss the line. Yeah, similar target as that.

Advertisement