Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to purchase, help needed!

Options
  • 28-06-2010 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

I would really like to buy and build a car or buggy kit. I dont know much about them or where to buy them though. I wouldnt have much money to spend on it so it would have to be a basic model.

Anyone have any ideas?

Im not too fussy what it is really just as long as it wouldnt break right away and not be able to get the parts for it.

Was looking at some of the Seben models.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

Hi cullen5998

1 What scale are you looking for ?
    2 How much do you have to spend ?
    3 Where are you going to drive ? (tarmac, grass, mud, rocks)?

Have a look at the models on this site http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=Category&CategoryID=992010, Then come back and ask more questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

dun79 wrote: »
    Hi cullen5998

1 What scale are you looking for ?
    2 How much do you have to spend ?
    3 Where are you going to drive ? (tarmac, grass, mud, rocks)?

Have a look at the models on this site http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=Category&CategoryID=992010, Then come back and ask more questions

Scale = Maybe 1:8 or 1:10
    Spend = €200 or less, to have everything
    Terrain = Grass

Had a look on the site you suggested. Seems expensive.
    The Seben-Racing seems cheaper.

Was considering these two models
    http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/index.php?p=b3JnYT1zZWJlbi1yYWNpbmcmZ3JvdXA9MiZsYW5nPTImY3Vycj0x&action=products&cat=121&mode=view&id=722

http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/index.php?p=b3JnYT1zZWJlbi1yYWNpbmcmZ3JvdXA9MiZsYW5nPTImY3Vycj0x&action=products&cat=132&mode=view&id=1357

The starter kit is 20
    http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/index.php?p=b3JnYT1zZWJlbi1yYWNpbmcmZ3JvdXA9MiZsYW5nPTImY3Vycj0x&action=products&cat=44&mode=view&id=164

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fallaci

As with everything in life you get what you pay for and 200 wont get you very far. Is nitro the only option or have you considered electrics? Maybe have a look at classifieds such as adverts or gumtree for a second hand one, but that can be tricky with nitros. Those Seben-racing cars... I've seen them a couple of times on e-bay, but neven seen real photos only 3D renderings...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

Hi cullen5998

Is this going to be your first rc model, If it is your going to need lots of replacement parts, How easy is it going to be to get parts from Seben-Racing,
    If it was me i would get a ansmann, HPI or kyosho because parts are easy to get

fallaci wrote: »
    As with everything in life you get what you pay for and 200 wont get you very far. Is nitro the only option or have you considered electrics? Maybe have a look at classifieds such as adverts or gumtree for a second hand one, but that can be tricky with nitros. Those Seben-racing cars... I've seen them a couple of times on e-bay, but neven seen real photos only 3D renderings...

I dont really want a second hand one as things are more likely to go wrong. 200 is not much but i think its enough to be spending on a first car.

• Advertisement

dun79 wrote: »
    Hi cullen5998

Is this going to be your first rc model, If it is your going to need lots of replacement parts, How easy is it going to be to get parts from Seben-Racing,
    If it was me i would get a ansmann, HPI or kyosho because parts are easy to get

I had one years ago when i was younger, didnt have a clue back then.
    The Seben should be very easy to get parts. They stock all the parts for each product and have over 55000 feedbacks on ebay which is always a good thing!

I had a look at the other brands you suggested. The stuff looks good but is expensive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

cullen5998 wrote: »
    ....I had a look at the other brands you suggested. The stuff looks good but is expensive.

It's is not about looks with machines, it is about ability to function and be robust under use and abuse, as well as looks.
    So when one model is more costly than another, it is not necessarily more expensive.
    It is often reflected by better quality control throughout, being made from stronger harder metals and alloys, and more exact machining in the areas that matter like eg carburettor. This difference manifests itself in easier starting and tuning every day you have it ... so a higher price rc model could be "less expensive".

Most of the chinese discount makes (for reason of cheap manufacture) are using technology materials and designs that the "more expensive" brands stopped using 4-6 years ago.
    So there is a question: Are they "new" at all? Unused certainly .....

I suggest also Carson, Tamiya, Cen, Kyosho, etc in that order. (But these are only suggestions based on what I have learned and you can choose any make.)

Best of luck with whichever one you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

You have two choices then with what you are looking at.

1) Buy the Seben and regret it

2) throw your money in the bin and get as much fun out of doing it as you did buying the Seben, Which is ZERO.

Do NOT buy the Seben,
    Hard brittle plastic parts which will snap at the first impact.

Where are you living?
    Maybe a trip to a local club to see what they run and have a chat with others that have experience and you will also see first hand how good and reliable these can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I have a brand new un-opened HPI 1/12 Nitro Monster King RTR for €225 if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I have a brand new un-opened HPI 1/12 Nitro Monster King RTR for €225 if you're interested.

I wouldnt advise on 1/12 is it is offroad he wants to go as it wouldnt handle any grass higher than a grasshopper.:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement