Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those getting into the hobby: A safety reminder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Really unfortunate.

The girl got injured pretty badly, but hopefully she'll recover fully. I don't understand where her head was though, I mean in fairness, a r/c heli makes quite a bit of noise and is a quite a spectacle so you tend to watch the thing and should be able to take evasive action if something goes wrong.

That said, none of this is her fault and the fact that the pilot ran away doesn't make it any better either.

This incident proves once more:

1. How quickly and easily an accident can happen
    2. How severe the injuries can be - r/c models aren't kids' stuff
    3. How important proper insurance is
    4. No hit-and-run
    5. The negative publicity of such an event on the hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

While I'm still new to this hobby, I never fly my planes (radian glider and supercub) if there are people around. My flying skills aren't bad but one sharp turn, stall or gust of wind can send a plane towards the ground and hit someone.

Rc planes tend to attract people though. I've been in parks at 6am for some flight time prior to work, and while people are still in bed, but I always seem to get people coming over to me asking questions. While I'm not anti social, I believe in murphys law and that's the time the plane would crash and hit the spectator.

I've taken to driving out to the countryside very early or very late and flying with nothing but birds around. I find it's more relaxing if I don't have to worry about hitting anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mr.jailbait

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Really unfortunate.

The girl got injured pretty badly, but hopefully she'll recover fully. I don't understand where her head was though, I mean in fairness, a r/c heli makes quite a bit of noise and is a quite a spectacle so you tend to watch the thing and should be able to take evasive action if something goes wrong.

That said, none of this is her fault and the fact that the pilot ran away doesn't make it any better either.

This incident proves once more:

1. How quickly and easily an accident can happen
    2. How severe the injuries can be - r/c models aren't kids' stuff
    3. How important proper insurance is
    4. No hit-and-run
    5. The negative publicity of such an event on the hobby.

electric helis are far from noisy
    could be mistaken for a bird flapping its wings if not familiar with

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

electric helis are far from noisy

compared to what? I thought electric is one of the quietest types helis out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mr.jailbait

yeah,re-read what i said and im agreeing with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

DennisZ wrote: »
    just one indecent like this and we will be expelled from any park in this country .

By law, you should not be flying your models in a park or any other site not approved by MACI.

If you are flying un-insured, you are leaving yourself open to major trouble if you cause someone an injury or damage property.

RC planes and Helis are dangerous items in the wrong hands, there have been fatalities,thankfully not in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

Poly wrote: »
    By law, you should not be flying your models in a park or any other site not approved by MACI.

I have a MACI insurance.
    ... guess you meant "By law, no one should be flying a models in a park or any other site not approved by MACI."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

DennisZ wrote: »
    I have a MACI insurance.
    ... guess you meant "By law, no one should be flying a models in a park or any other site not approved by MACI."

plural You, should have said Ye,
    either way, it's becoming a problem, there’s a Polish guy in Navan who flys an electric heli on a housing estate green with kids running around under it!
    I had words with the gobsh1te. All it’s going to take is one serious accident and it’s going to be a big problem for the whole hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Does it make a difference now whether he is Polish or not?

Just asking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I am not aware of any law against flying models in a public place.
    There are Aviation Authority laws against flying models in restricted airspace, like eg near airports.

The point is, flying in a place where insurance is not present, is a personal decision, and such a person is doing so at their own risk, and the risk of those others nearby.
    But the liability for damages ensuing is all the flier's.
    The fact is people sue when things go wrong.
    So while not illegal, it's a silly risk to take.

However there is an assumption MACI members take for granted that MACI insurance is the only insurance available. But there are many kinds of add on activity all risks cover clauses that can be got with home insurance, such as are used by anglers and boaters. Model flying in non MACI sites could well be coverd by such clauses, it would depend on the wording of the policy.
    It is up to the individual, and their common sense, or lack of it, what they do. This is a free country, free that is until some fool messes up so badly legislation is passed to prevent their sort of disaster happening again.
    Flying in a public park without insurance, without warning notices of dangerous activities going on, over other people and their property, is exactly that sort of irresponsible behaviour in my view.

• Advertisement
Advertisement