Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FJR 1300 (2003-2006) reliability?

Options
  • 15-09-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

As I'm in process of selling my bike I came across a few FJR1300's so I'm wondering how these fair?

I had a short test ride on one and was impressed by the handling and power for this rather bulky bike...... I was told that it's quite good on juice as well....

What are they in terms of reliability? Are they ok to filter in town without the panniers?

Cheers,
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I have owned a 2002 for a few months. Commuting daily. Great bike. Comfy, powerful, good handling. Really great bike.

Except.........
    It's missing a 6th gear, particularly for motorway riding.
    I drive mine hard and get 120miles(my clocks are in miles) to a tank. 30e to fill the tank. Not great. If I drove like a granny I'd say I could increase the mileage but only by 10-15%.

MSVforever wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

As I'm in process of selling my bike I came across a few FJR1300's so I'm wondering how these fair?

I had a short test ride on one and was impressed by the handling and power for this rather bulky bike...... I was told that it's quite good on juice as well....

What are they in terms of reliability? Are they ok to filter in town without the panniers?

Cheers,
    Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

On a FJR that age one thing to check is the condition of the dog bones connecting the bottom of the shock to the frame.

One on either side with bushings at both ends.

The top ones are awkward to get at and are often overlooked/ignored with the effect that the bushings seize with no resulting flex in the joint.

Over time the dog bones fatigue and will eventually fail which has the potential to drop the back of the bike onto the rear wheel....not something you want happening at speed! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I also read about excessive engine heat which could make the ride quite uncomfortable.
    That said it was in a US forum so might not apply in Irish weather conditions....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I also read about excessive engine heat which could make the ride quite uncomfortable.
    That said it was in a US forum so might not apply in Irish weather conditions....

If I'm riding for 10+ mind and I hit traffic it does get very hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi Folks,

Cheers,
    Dan

Reliable, later ones are 6-speed. Sensitive to tyres, esp at front. Not overly economical, but down to how you ride really.

Benefits from good suspension rebuild & refresh after some miles, and improves way above OE.

Nice & narrow, so good commuter.

Yes it gets hot: but so does everything, in traffic.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

They're a bike I'd own, older ones getting affordable now too.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Cheers,
    Dan

Reliable, later ones are 6-speed. Sensitive to tyres, esp at front. Not overly economical, but down to how you ride really.

Benefits from good suspension rebuild & refresh after some miles, and improves way above OE.

Nice & narrow, so good commuter.

Yes it gets hot: but so does everything, in traffic.

Sounds good. What kind of mpg are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

Philipx wrote: »
    On a FJR that age one thing to check is the condition of the dog bones connecting the bottom of the shock to the frame.

One on either side with bushings at both ends.

The top ones are awkward to get at and are often overlooked/ignored with the effect that the bushings seize with no resulting flex in the joint.

Over time the dog bones fatigue and will eventually fail which has the potential to drop the back of the bike onto the rear wheel....not something you want happening at speed! :o

solid bike but agree with suspension issues. mate had to rebuild it twice and seen few collapsed FJRs in my travels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

low 40's

FJ's, and now FJR's, have always had a very good owners club: http://www.fjclub.co.uk/buying-a-fjr1300/4546979445

Lots of good info in there, including year x year issues to watch for.

On that there is a reference to immobiliser and the Red key. This is not insignificant: I actually knew someone who scrapped one over it, when he couldn't get a replacement (well, you could, but it was 1000's because you had to change all locks, ECU etc. ).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

low 40's

FJ's, and now FJR's, have always had a very good owners club: http://www.fjclub.co.uk/buying-a-fjr1300/4546979445

Lots of good info in there, including year x year issues to watch for.

On that there is a reference to immobiliser and the Red key. This is not insignificant: I actually knew someone who scrapped one over it, when he couldn't get a replacement (well, you could, but it was 1000's because you had to change all locks, ECU etc. ).

Thanks for the info. If I pull the trigger I will watch out for this red key.

• Advertisement
Advertisement