Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estrumate - cow bulling, can I AI?

Options
  • 13-09-2019 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭

I had 2 purebred Lim cows bulling nearly 3 weeks ago. Arrived down the following morning to AI and found the neighbours 1 1/2 year old friesian bull in the middle of them. Felt like crying, I can tell ya, as one of the cows was on her 3rd heat. The first I let go as my newly done teaser was with her as she wasn't long calved. Second heat missed as AI guy gone on holidays and no access to straws I bought.

Anyway, I waited 10 days and injected with 2mm Estrumate. That was 8 days ago. One of them is bulling again this morning. Can I AI her now or better wait 3 weeks again.

AI guy said to let first heat go after injecting but vet said it was OK to AI especially if cows came bulling soon after inhecting. Any advice?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I'd be doing her this evening, can't see any point waiting another three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    I'd be doing her this evening, can't see any point waiting another three weeks.

I'm thinking the same. Thanks.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

I'd go ahead as Well Patsy, where did u bury the Friesan bull

High bike wrote: »
    I'd go ahead as Well Patsy, where did u bury the Friesan bull

Felt like it, I can tell ya. :mad: Wouldnt have been so bad if only one bulling, but two.

Felt like it, I can tell ya. :mad: Wouldnt have been so bad if only one bulling, but two.
    sickner all rite, no electric fence I presume?

• Advertisement

2 strands of barb Wire and an electric fence over it. He crossed a small stream and jumped in from a high point. My cattle could not get out there.

A similar thing happened to a neighbour of mine years ago. He put the "bull" in a crush and squeezed him and told the owner he'd do the same to any more of them that came in.

A bit drastic but I’ll bet he had no more trespass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

A similar thing happened to a neighbour of mine years ago. He put the "bull" in a crush and squeezed him and told the owner he'd do the same to any more of them that came in.

Similar happened around here but it was with a breding CH bull.. ur man was out a fortune one spring having to get vets to take calves.. told the neighbouring farmer who more or less laughed at him. So the first chance me boy got it squeezed the bull and let him off... fairily took the smile of the owners face when the coes were scanned empty...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Same here.Best AI her specially as she jumping anyway.

• Advertisement

Did she hold??

Did she hold??

Ya, she seems to have. I've a teaser with her and no sign so far.

Not so bad, which bull was it?

Not so bad, which bull was it?

It wasn't my normal AI guy so he didn't have my straws. I gave her Elite Ice Cream as I wanted to add some power.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Similar happened around here but it was with a breding CH bull.. ur man was out a fortune one spring having to get vets to take calves.. told the neighbouring farmer who more or less laughed at him. So the first chance me boy got it squeezed the bull and let him off... fairily took the smile of the owners face when the coes were scanned empty...
    Whoever did that deserves a kick in the bullocks. Send a vets bill with a solicitors letter to the owner and get compensation the proper way. To do that to someone else’s animals is a disgrace and I’d imagine a crime. It’s not the bulls fault fences weren’t up to scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Whoever did that deserves a kick in the bullocks. Send a vets bill with a solicitors letter to the owner and get compensation the proper way. To do that to someone else’s animals is a disgrace and I’d imagine a crime. It’s not the bulls fault fences weren’t up to scratch

O it wouldn't be something I would condone myself but knowing the bull owner I can understand why the other farmer done it. He would pay for nothing, I am sure he was asked to contribute to the vets bills but he would only laugh and sneer at you, he is the type that thinks he can walk across everyone. Stock (especially bulls) can break on anyone, a reasonable person will put their hand up and cover what ever damage is done, but this lad wouldn't. He would blame one of his kids for not turning on the fence or something (when in reality he would be to mean to buy a battery for it)

Advertisement