Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbandb

Options
  • 12-11-2018 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Bought a house 2 years ago. Previous tenant was doing airbandb. Still getting callers to house for their reservations. Rang airbandb to take house off the website. They can't help as they don't know who the host is, even though they have the address. Their solution was for me to find out who the host is from the next person who we have to refuse to let into our house. Not ideal. Anyone else have a similar problem with airbandb?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Registered letter to AirBnB would bypass their support desk and likely have a result; solicitor letter would be the next step

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Can you find your house on the airbnb website? It should tell you who the host is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 longbow

Páid wrote: »
    Can you find your house on the airbnb website? It should tell you who the host is.

Set up an account and trawled through the listings to find house successfully. Messaged the host. Hoping for the best. My point is still valid though. Surley airbandb should have been able to do this from their end using the house address alone. Very poor organisation. It took a lot of searching to find the listing. Could any one with an email account and a phone number sign up any random house to airbandb?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I reckon under a very generous interpretation of GDPR, one could claim that AirBnB are in breach by allowing someone to list your house and not remove it.

I would get in touch with them again and point out that since the property is yours and not the other person's, then they have an obligation under GDPR to ensure the accuracy of the data in their possession, and when an error is brought to their attention they are required by law to remove it or correct it. The data subject does not have to be the one to bring the error to their attention.

The very minimum they should be doing is suspending the listing and contacting the host to obtain an up-to-date verification from them.

Another option is to use the "Report this listing" option beside it to bring it to the attention of someone besides a support desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

seamus wrote: »
    I reckon under a very generous interpretation of GDPR, one could claim that AirBnB are in breach by allowing someone to list your house and not remove it.
    Is your address and/or pictures of the inside before you bought it your personal information? I wouldn't have thought so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 longbow

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is your address and/or pictures of the inside before you bought it your personal information? I wouldn't have thought so.
    The host has 2 addresses listed on the site, the current address that she is using and ours. However she is accepting bookings and handing out reservations for both addresses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

longbow wrote: »
    The host has 2 addresses listed on the site, the current address that she is using and ours. However she is accepting bookings and handing out reservations for both addresses
    Yes I'm just wondering how this could be a GDPR issue. I don't think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TheChizler wrote: »
    Yes I'm just wondering how this could be a GDPR issue. I don't think it is.
    The information that AirBnB hold on the host is incorrect. ;)

Once they are aware of this, they are obliged to verify/correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

From a reputational standpoint Airbnb are mad not to do anything about this. If lots of people complain that their bookings were not honoured then Airbnb gets a bad name.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hang on, she is still taking bookings for a house she no longer has an interest in? Is that not fraud?

• Advertisement
Advertisement