Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Satellite Dish?

Options
  • 14-09-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

After Virgin recently reduced the amount of analogue channels available I'm looking for a setup that will give me the saorview channels as well as the free UK ones such as BBC, ITV & C4 etc etc. 

Looking at the Freetv.ie website and I like the look of the Edison Os Nino box as it's Linux based and as such will have the 7-day EPG and ability to record/pause live tv. 

With regards a dish then, I'd prefer to go for a flat option as I don't like the look of a big dirty satellite on the side of the house. If I go for a flat dish, am I limited in what I can receive? It was my understanding that the wider the dish the greater the amount of channels you can potentially receive?

Also, does anyone have a setup that works from inside the attic? I wouldn't care what kind of dish I got then (once it was able to fit through the access hatch). 

Any advice appreciated. Again, not dead set on the Edison box either, just seemed like a decent one. I'm open to better suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bemak

Thanks a mil! Based in Kilcock so should be ok for signal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Flat dishes still have to be pointed East-West at the satellite.

And unless they are designed for this far North you'll still have to tilt it up/down too.

So it will still look like an antenna with the brackets and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bemak

Flat dishes still have to be pointed East-West at the satellite.

And unless they are designed for this far North you'll still have to tilt it up/down too.

So it will still look like an antenna with the brackets and stuff.

very true.

Advertisement