Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS, XS Max and XR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Going from a Jet Black 7 Plus 128GB to a Space Grey XS Max 64GB (I barely used a third of my space on my current iPhone). Ships 3-10th of October.. Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I remember reading somewhere that the reason they don't have physical retail stores in Ireland is due to some tax law. As they technically manufacture some components in Cork, adding retail would implicate them for more tax. Not sure how true that is or not. Must do a search to find the article again.

Its quoted frequently, but I don't think its correct. Apple has a lot of companies registered for different operations, and they've successfully kept Apple Store sales away from manufacturing, despite them being within feet of each other. They assemble machines, rather than manufacture, but it is very important for them. I'm not so sure if its for the VAT, or if it is to keep them in for grants etc. They could claim back the VAT on the imports if they had to anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/14/apple-dual-sim-esim-iphone-xs-and-xs-max/

so to be able to use the dual sim, your phone has to be unlocked, or else you can only use and esim and regular sim from the same carrier.

There goes the hope of setting up a local esim when i go to the states.

damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭brevity

So it seems I've gone and ordered an iPhone Xs...what wireless charging pad do others use/recommend?

I have the mophie 7.5w one, love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Well mine's a business phone so the Vat is reclaimable.

iPhone Xs Max 256Gb

Same model lists in the USA at $1248 = €1067 without any sales tax

Irish model lists at €1449 inclusive of vat €1178 less the vat = $1377

I hardly think €111 is excessive given the trouble to go get it, make sure you're not charged sales tax, smuggle it back into Ireland, then replace the US charger with an Irish plug equivalent. Then deal with any warranty issues.

I appreciate not everyone can reclaim the vat and a planned visit to the USA might prove the better option. ... each to their own.

How do you ensure that you aren't charged sales tax? I'll be in Chicago in a few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

How do you ensure that you aren't charged sales tax? I'll be in Chicago in a few weeks...
    Go to a state that doesn’t have sales tax:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Sales tax there is 1%-1.25%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Dades wrote: »
    It's a shame that we don't get an Apple store, but I don't have the same gripe with CompuB as others. Twice they've done big fixes on my MBP for nothing after sorting out any warranty stuff. Any delays were due to waiting for parts.

I mean yes but that’s the least you would expect. In the U.K. I got a replacement in a day. Here it takes 5-10 working days. Two weeks.

Shn99 wrote: »
    Sales tax there is 1%-1.25%

Sales tax in Chicago is 10.25%, highest in the US and therefore the worst place to buy stuff from a savings perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Sales tax in Chicago is 10.25%, highest in the US and therefore the worst place to buy stuff from a savings perspective.

Google was wrong so.

Even at that it’s still far cheaper to buy in the US. Planning to get either an Xs or Xr myself but will only be doing so in the US as the Irish prices are just too much in comparison. Bought a series 3 watch recently over there and saved approx 20% on the Irish price (sales tax was only 4.5% where I bought it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Delaware doesn’t have or has a very low sales tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I think Apple have lost the plot completely, where is the innovation that was always a hallmark of Apple when Jobs was at the helm? They lag behind and only the name keeps them going. Yet people will buy these overpriced, overhyped phones, I have a 7 and I do like the eco system that they have but I will not upgrade to the new phones as it’s pointless waist of money.

Everyone seems to think the Xs and the Max were the only phone released this year, yes they are expensive but they are the flagship devices.

The Xr is going to be a great success when it’s launched, it’s a fantastic upgrade from the 7 and 8 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

200motels wrote: »
    I think Apple have lost the plot completely, where is the innovation that was always a hallmark of Apple when Jobs was at the helm? They lag behind and only the name keeps them going. Yet people will buy these overpriced, overhyped phones, I have a 7 and I do like the eco system that they have but I will not upgrade to the new phones as it’s pointless waist of money.
    The bigger screen is an upgrade. But largely speaking, a smartphone is a smartphone (esp at the higher end). So with, or without Jobs, there's not a lot of avenues for Apple to expand into in terms of their phones.

The phones are over hyped (most are) and possibly over priced (but if people buy them in great numbers, maybe they are not). People tend to use their phones multiple times on a daily basis. In terms of value, for the use you get out of the device, it's still probably a good deal.

A mate of mine could easily spend €150 a night when he goes out, and he might do that twice a week on occasions. He could hit €750 a month. Might a person dropping €1279 on the new iPhone might be getting better value for their money? I doubt there's many people getting themselves a loan or into financial difficulty when buying a phone, so if someone is buying the device, it's largely because they can afford it.

Delaware doesn’t have or has a very low sales tax.

New Hampshire and Oregon are the other two with one and a few other states have very low tax, best to just look it up for the state you are going to for anyone traveling over.
    eeloe wrote: »
    Everyone seems to think the Xs and the Max were the only phone released this year, yes they are expensive but they are the flagship devices.

The Xs is the same price as the X also so not sure why people on about price increases, yes the Max is more expensive but it’s a new product. So you haven the Xr which is basically a price reduced X and you have the Xr which is an update at the same price the Max which is a new product.

Now whether the entire range is a little on the expansive side is a fair point but that hasn’t changed since last year so not sure why the drum is being beaten so much again, people were hardly expecting a priece reduction across the range and a lcheaper option has been introduced.

As said about they are flagship devices, and very very good ones at that and can’t be compared to even mid range android devices even though people do try to do this. I’m not really sure what massive upgrades people are expecting. Flagship android phones are in the same price range.

Now whether the entire range is a little on the expansive side is a fair point but that hasn’t changed since last year so not sure why the drum is being beaten so much again
    The only issue I see, from Apples point of view, is that their pricing may assist other brands. Apple broke through the €1k mark, and has now gone well above it. It may allow other manufactures to get towards the €600-700 mark with some really great phones (without the added price for just having the Apple branding).

The Xr is €879. That's still a lot. Something like the OnePLus 6T (with a waterdrop type notch) will probably come in well under that prices, but offer tremendous value in comparison.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

From it just means holding on to a phone for 3 years, rather than changing every 18 months. Just gone too expensive now, and I'm so locked into the ecosystem for my work, I have to stay with it. All my work is done on Mac, and presentations done in Keynote on iPads. I did look at a surface last time, but there wasn't a lot of difference in the price. Could definitely go with a cheaper phone, but the SE is gone now, which I was going to got next time.

whiterebel wrote: »
    From it just means holding on to a phone for 3 years, rather than changing every 18 months. Just gone too expensive now, and I'm so locked into the ecosystem for my work, I have to stay with it. All my work is done on Mac, and presentations done in Keynote on iPads. I did look at a surface last time, but there wasn't a lot of difference in the price. Could definitely go with a cheaper phone, but the SE is gone now, which I was going to got next time.

Apple have jacked prices for that reason. People are holding for 3 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

I find it hard to justify upgrading my 6 given that it runs perfectly. I would usually upgrade at the four year mark but don’t feel the need. The prices help discourage me. I’ll wait to see what the XI is like next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The only issue I see, from Apples point of view, is that their pricing may assist other brands. Apple broke through the €1k mark, and has now gone well above it. It may allow other manufactures to get towards the €600-700 mark with some really great phones (without the added price for just having the Apple branding).

The Xr is €879. That's still a lot. Something like the OnePLus 6T (with a waterdrop type notch) will probably come in well under that prices, but offer tremendous value in comparison.

The galaxy S9 is already €870 in Carphone warehouse.

kceire wrote: »
    The galaxy S9 is already €870 in Carphone warehouse.
    And the S9 is far superior to the Xr.
    It gives those, below what Apple and Samsung charge, a chance to create a really good phone and still be below the price of something like the Xr.
    The prestige/desire of having an iPhone cannot be underestimated of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The screen resolution on the XR? What’s that all about? That’s going backwards.

And the S9 is far superior to the Xr.
    It gives those, below what Apple and Samsung charge, a chance to create a really good phone and still be below the price of something like the Xr.
    The prestige/desire of having an iPhone cannot be underestimated of course.

These things tend to be stated without proof. We don’t even know the benchmarks for the Xr yet. We do know that it’s the same internals as the Xs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The X ran rings around the S9 in speed tests (launching popular apps/games) and benchmarks etc. Whilst the Xr doesn’t have a great screen in comparison, it will still piss over the S9 in benchmarks.

That being said the S9 is 9~ months old and the Xr is brand new but that’s purely sown to their release schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

adox wrote: »
    The screen resolution on the XR? What’s that all about? That’s going backwards.

It’s the exact same ppi as the 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Big difference from last year! Just checked on the preorders page and it's still only 1-2weeks dispatch. Last year's X was months waiting. Seems to be no queues to buy these phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

It’s the exact same ppi as the 8.

And less than the 8 plus which it is nearer to screen wise although is bigger than both of them.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Big difference from last year! Just checked on the preorders page and it's still only 1-2weeks dispatch. Last year's X was months waiting. Seems to be no queues to buy these phones!
    I don't think there will be as many people going from X to Xs/XsMax as there was who upgraded to X in the first place.
    Maybe the Xr will be appealing to those on 7/8?

Advertisement