Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Pro 2018

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Btw since you bring up amazon on this thread :-) Amazon UK currently have a deal on iPad pros for prime members. 100+ euros savings compared to the retail price Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Had my eye on a 11" 256gb pro, which is one of the only ones amazon.co.uk didn't have on offer. However I found it on amazon.fr for €899, which is a fair saving on the €1079 apple are charging. It wasn't marked as part of the prime deals either, but is a good bit less than the other European Amazon sites were charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Probably going to pick one of these up at the weekend. Can anyone recommend a decent case - don't want anything too heavy duty, but don't want something feather light with no protection either! (So basically, full protection with a piece of paper thin case :D:D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

chrislad wrote: »
    Probably going to pick one of these up at the weekend. Can anyone recommend a decent case - don't want anything too heavy duty, but don't want something feather light with no protection either! (So basically, full protection with a piece of paper thin case :D:D:D)
    Not an answer to your questions but if you can take advantage of the student deal I’d recommend doing that. Free pair of Beats and a slight discount if you can.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    Not an answer to your questions but if you can take advantage of the student deal I’d recommend doing that. Free pair of Beats and a slight discount if you can.

Thanks for letting me know, but I'm a few years from student status, though my sister isn't, so I can try through her. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There will probably be new iPad Pro’s launched in 10 days time, would you not wait until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Picked up a 12.9 Pro from Argos earlier in the week. After 3/4 days of fairly light usage there‘a already a fairly substantial bend emerging down the middle. Had heard it’s been an issue for a handful of devices but it’s actually really bad when you see it first hand.

Will I have any problem getting a replacement/refund from Argos? I have the receipt, original boxing etc but I’ve read bad stories about them being tricky when it comes to electronic goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Daysha wrote: »
    Picked up a 12.9 Pro from Argos earlier in the week. After 3/4 days of fairly light usage there‘a already a fairly substantial bend emerging down the middle. Had heard it’s been an issue for a handful of devices but it’s actually really bad when you see it first hand.

Will I have any problem getting a replacement/refund from Argos? I have the receipt, original boxing etc but I’ve read bad stories about them being tricky when it comes to electronic goods.

They usually refund within 14 days, not sure if Apple products are the same as I’ve seen places having different policies for stuff like that. Better to return and wait a week or two anyway, there’s rumours expecting another event in October to announce a new iPad Pro, most likely just a spec bump but still worth the wait.

Is it worth buying Apple Care + for this? I see I have only 20 or so days left to buy it at €139. It’s the only Apple device I’ve ever owned so I’m not sure what the cover gives you or if it’s worth having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Is it worth buying Apple Care + for this? I see I have only 20 or so days left to buy it at €139. It’s the only Apple device I’ve ever owned so I’m not sure what the cover gives you or if it’s worth having.

I would, to replace the screen on the 12.9” you’re looking at €700 or so.

As with any insurance product, on average the insurance company makes money and customers lose money.

But on the other hand it gives peace of mind and prevents unexpected large expenses. It also makes it a bit easier to sell as the buyer knows they’ll be able to get any potential issue solved.

I sometimes get it for my iPads/iPhones and others don’t but at the end of the day I never used it for accidental damage and maybe once or twice for warranty on the second year. Depends on how you value peace of mind, how careful you tend to be, and how you are using the device (for exemple if it’s going to be regularly left on a coffee table in a place with young children AC+ sounds like a good idea :-))

There is some accidental damage included then? What is it, one screen?

Really wish I’d bought the LTE version now with these GoMo sims on the go.

Really wish I’d bought the LTE version now with these GoMo sims on the go.

I was thinking the same but the iPad connects to my phone automatically without any passwords so I just use my phone for data access. It’s worked great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I was thinking the same but the iPad connects to my phone automatically without any passwords so I just use my phone for data access. It’s worked great so far.

After had WiFi iPads for ages and went LTE afterwards it’s a world of difference. Not having to make sure hotspot is on, then connecting then iOS is aggressive at saving battery so it disconnects when sleeping and the phone shuts of hotspot. It’s quite annoying.

Having a sim in the iPad you just forget about it.

Be nice to be able to send messages and all from the iPad too.

Built in LTE is nice for sure but it really does depend on usage. Even 10 euros per month isn't necessarily justified for someone who mostly uses their iPad where Wi-Fi is available and might only use LTE once or twice a month to watch a movie or send a couple of emails (and to the 10 euros monthly you need to add the additional cost for the LTE iPad meaning the actual bill is more like 15 euros per month across the lifespan of the device). Of course on the other hand it is a terrific offer for someone who is carrying their iPad with them on the go on a daily basis.

Also, I have had an extra SIM with 50GB of EU data for a while (which is pretty much free to me due to specific circumstances), and I actually prefer to stick it into a Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot rather than an LTE iPad. That way the SIM's data allowance can easily be leverage with various devices (not just my iPad but other people's devices and other devices I own), and rather importantly it gives flawless internet access to multiple devices at the same time all day long without having to worry about battery level or finding a power source (for exemple meaning constant full Internet connectivity for all of my and my partner's devices when we are traveling in Europe, which is great). Could be a good option for someone looking at the GoMo offer.

After had WiFi iPads for ages and went LTE afterwards it’s a world of difference. Not having to make sure hotspot is on, then connecting then iOS is aggressive at saving battery so it disconnects when sleeping and the phone shuts of hotspot. It’s quite annoying.

Having a sim in the iPad you just forget about it.

Agreed, but personally, for me, the extra tenner a month would be wasted. I'm in a WiFi environment for 99% of the time, and I only use the hotspot in work to sync notes for the most part. The hotspot suits me, but if I were out on the road, it would be a different story.

Advertisement