Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of joining with a degree

Options
  • 13-10-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Quick question

I've heard rumours that there is a small pay bonus when one becomes an Attested Guard that if one has a degree (other than the BA in policing) }

Ia this true? Hard to find info on it online

Should add it no way influences my desire to join the AGS, just a general query

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Waestrel wrote: »
    Hi all

Quick question

I've heard rumours that there is a small pay bonus when one becomes an Attested Guard that if one has a degree (other than the BA in policing) }

Ia this true? Hard to find info on it online

Should add it no way influences my desire to join the AGS, just a general query
    Yes, it's true.
    There's even added increments if you have a B and 2 C's in the Leaving Cert at Honours level. Link = https://gra.ie/information/pay-salary-scales/
    Additional increments are payable to a Garda who hold any of the following qualifications on appointment to An Garda Sh.
    • (F Code 13.10)(i) One Additional increment in respect of at least one Grade B and two Grade C in three subjects (which must include Mathematics and English or Irish) at honours level in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination or Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme; or
    • (F Code 13.10)(ii) Three additional increments in respect of a Diploma or Degree from a third-level educational institution. The Degree/Diploma must be full time, of two/four year duration, and be awarded by a third level institution recognised by the H.E.T.A.C., or recognised Irish statutory authority

I'm not too sure what its called but in my profession it's a qualification allowance. The higher your level of education (Leaving cert is level 5; Ordinary Bachelors degree is level 7; Honours Bachelor Degree or Higher Diploma is level 8; Masters or Post-Grad is level 9; Doctoral is level 10) the more it is. I don't know if it's the same for AGS but I'm assuming it is as I'm in the public sector also.

From my understanding - and I could be totally wrong on this, you start on a higher point of scale with qualifications. So for example, if you have an Honours Bachelor Degree, you might start at point 4 on the scale, instead of point 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

(F Code 13.10)(i) One Additional increment in respect of at least one Grade B and two Grade C in three subjects (which must include Mathematics and English or Irish) at honours level in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination or Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme;

Do the Grades have to come from maths to qualify for this? Or can it be English, Irish plus one other subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

pedrigo wrote: »
    (F Code 13.10)(i) One Additional increment in respect of at least one Grade B and two Grade C in three subjects (which must include Mathematics and English or Irish) at honours level in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination or Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme;

Do the Grades have to come from maths to qualify for this? Or can it be English, Irish plus one other subject?

My interpretation of that would be: maths + English/Irish + 1 other subject

Can also be maths + English + Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

Elliot192 wrote: »
    My interpretation of that would be: maths + English/Irish + 1 other subject

Can also be maths + English + Irish

Can marks from Uni in these subjects be used? 4 increments would be amazing

Advertisement