Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm in your exact position and I first applied direct to AIB bank and they were a pain to deal with and asked for a CV and documents that revenue no longer actually supplied. When that 6 months ran out I went with the broker mentioned here on boards and it was much better, All of the banks appear to need 2 years notice of assessments (2 years previous tax returns, so you'll need to contracting for at least 2 years, some may possibly look at 1 year but a good broker will know) I even got an exemption through my broker also and I'm almost 1 year in my house now. I wasn't asked to show my contract of upcoming work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,711 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

CWF wrote: »
    Renting for the last 5 years in different places paying rent through online banking so it shows up on my statements. The owner occupier of the new place I'm moving into is looking for cash in hand every month. Would this effect me when I go to apply for a mortgage in two years? I plan on staying here until I get a mortgage. Would the bank need to see rent outgoing every month, i.e a paper trail of sorts. Thanks.

Get a rent book and ask them to sign it, that'll be sufficient for when you go to the banks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Can any monies gained from the sale of a house be used towards the 20% deposit for a new home or does that have to be from savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Can any monies gained from the sale of a house be used towards the 20% deposit for a new home or does that have to be from savings?

The whole deposit doesn't need to come from savings.

But you need to show consistent savings similar to the repayment of the size you're looking for.

So in short. Yes it can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Yes! You'll need to prove affordability for the mortgage payments, but the deposit can come from anywhere, including the sale of your old home.

Thanks for the response guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I hope so. i only have around 6-8% deposit saved but hoping to use equity as deposit. I'm just waiting to hear back from BOI after AIP. Hate all this waiting and don't want to put house on market or go to viewings until i'm sure that i'm approved.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I hope so. i only have around 6-8% deposit saved but hoping to use equity as deposit. I'm just waiting to hear back from BOI after AIP. Hate all this waiting and don't want to put house on market or go to viewings until i'm sure that i'm approved.

I'm in same boat as yourself,let me know how you get on and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

testicles wrote: »

I'm a director of an Umbrella company also, didn't seem to matter in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Anybody else's head wrecked with the constantly moving goalposts - originally started saving towards 20k for deposit - now looking at needing circa 30k...all the while the rent going up 4% per year. So disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm in same boat as yourself,let me know how you get on and good luck

Just had news back with approval today :) Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

TheShow wrote: »
    I'd say so, but sometimes you need to put a rocket under the solicitors to get things moving along. If you don't push it from your end, particularly given as its an Estate sale, you could be waiting a long time.

Solicitor got back to us and said we are on track for keys this day next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Solicitor got back to us and said we are on track for keys this day next week!

Good stuff, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

optogirl wrote: »
    Anybody else's head wrecked with the constantly moving goalposts - originally started saving towards 20k for deposit - now looking at needing circa 30k...all the while the rent going up 4% per year. So disheartening.

Saving way longer than planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Yeah we are the same, saving like crazy and it’s still no where near enough, just keeps rising and rising the prices and the money required to buy anywhere.

I have friends that are unable to find a room to rent, every advert they ring up about has at least 20+ people interested in the room, whole accommodation in Ireland is absolutely disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

2005 How I missed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

We're going for AIP with BOI now, and they awkwardly want a specific Salary Certificate filled out. My employer doesn't actually provide this anymore, they'll give me a letter on headed paper signed and stamped saying pretty much everything that's on that form, is that good enough for the bank? I'll email them today to find out.

Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

z0oT wrote: »

My experience with all the banks I applied to was they all had a specific salary cert.
    Is there any reason why your employer won't fill it out, they are standard enough forms, would only take few min to fill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We're going for AIP with BOI now, and they awkwardly want a specific Salary Certificate filled out. My employer doesn't actually provide this anymore, they'll give me a letter on headed paper signed and stamped saying pretty much everything that's on that form, is that good enough for the bank? I'll email them today to find out.

My employer has a standard letter, they won't fill in anything else. Bank accepted it without concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

cruizer101 wrote: »
    My experience with all the banks I applied to was they all had a specific salary cert.
    Is there any reason why your employer won't fill it out, they are standard enough forms, would only take few min to fill out.

What's the best way to get these forms in advance of applying for AIP? Are they available online or do you need to request copies?

I know they used to fill out those forms but now it's just an automated letter they do. Don't know why.

Still though, I can't see a bank walking away from how much they'll make in interest off us over the lifetime of the mortgage just because of a technicality such as a letter on headed paper vs Salary Certificate form. :pac:
    hanaimai wrote: »
    What's the best way to get these forms in advance of applying for AIP? Are they available online or do you need to request copies?

After I contacted the Bank initially they emailed it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I know they used to fill out those forms but now it's just an automated letter they do. Don't know why.

Still though, I can't see a bank walking away from how much they'll make in interest off us over the lifetime of the mortgage just because of a technicality such as a letter on headed paper vs Salary Certificate form. :pac:

You have a long hard road ahead of you. Every document is probed. If it doesnt match exactly you'll be refused.

Worse than refused, the agent will tell you its grand and then the underwriters will refuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bonbon109

ELM327 wrote: »
    You have a long hard road ahead of you. Every document is probed. If it doesnt match exactly you'll be refused.

Worse than refused, the agent will tell you its grand and then the underwriters will refuse it.
    Totally agree. have just been through the process and it was a nightmare. We went with BOI and the agent on the phone and in my local branch made it sound so easy, but it wasn't. There was a constant back and forth and the waiting time and lack of contact was ridiculous. They never answered their phones and it would take days for them to respond to an email query. When I did get an email repsonse it was so basic and most times it barely addressed my question.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You'll be fine.

My wife's employer was the same, only provided their own salary forms and wouldn't fill out the bank one, made no difference to us and bank were happy enough (we are with AIB).

ELM327 wrote: »

Bonbon109 wrote: »
    Totally agree. have just been through the process and it was a nightmare. We went with BOI and the agent on the phone and in my local branch made it sound so easy, but it wasn't. There was a constant back and forth and the waiting time and lack of contact was ridiculous. They never answered their phones and it would take days for them to respond to an email query. When I did get an email repsonse it was so basic and most times it barely addressed my question.

Are you both talking about the approval in principle?

I couldn't see much of an issue with us, we have enough earning power to be nowhere near the 3.5x salary limit with what we want, no debt, and a deposit of close to 20% even though we're first time buyers.

Was there something weird about both of your applications if the process was so much hassle to you both? Unusual income sources hard to prove or something?

Anyway, if they're a huge pain to deal with as you both are saying, thankfully there are plenty of other banks in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I couldn't see much of an issue with us, we have enough earning power to be nowhere near the 3.5x salary limit with what we want, no debt, and a deposit of close to 20% even though we're first time buyers.

Was there something weird about both of your applications if the process was so much hassle to you both? Unusual income sources hard to prove or something?

Anyway, if they're a huge pain to deal with as you both are saying, thankfully there are plenty of other banks in the country.

I got approval from BoI and AIB in a matter of days after submitting the application. I spoke to them and made sure I had all the necessary paperwork. I highlighted transactions on statements and provided receipts.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Once you have all the documentation they need (which is the most difficult part, but even then it's still easy) then the process is really straightforward.

Once you send in all the paper work it can take anything from a few days to a few weeks to go through the underwriters and get approval in principle. It taking longer doesn't mean your application is more complex, it just means they're busy.

Some banks will give you a wishy washy AIP before talking to the underwriters but it's totally worthless. Holds no more weight than just sticking some numbers into those online calculators.

dudara wrote: »
    My employer has a standard letter, they won't fill in anything else. Bank accepted it without concerns.
    awec wrote: »
    You'll be fine.

My wife's employer was the same, only provided their own salary forms and wouldn't fill out the bank one, made no difference to us and bank were happy enough (we are with AIB).

Actually, just to follow up in case anyone is wondering - They since replied to my email query and said it's not an issue. The letter from my employer is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Yes, but I explained that my company only provides their own form and they accepted it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement