Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molar Extraction

Options
  • 19-10-2020 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’ve to have a bottom molar to be extracted soon. I’ve been to the dentist, they were excellent, put me at ease and explained my options. I’ve been given antibiotics to clear a nasty infection under the tooth first.

My dilemma is they’ve offered me two dates to have it out. One is the day I’m finished my antibiotics and one a week later. Im about half way through my course and only slightly feeling better. Ideally I’d have the tooth out as quick as as I’m nervous. But I don’t wanna waste the dentists time if I’m still in pain from the infection and it can’t come out.

Secondly, will the extraction be painful? I’ve had a fear of dentists but I can usually get over it and get myself ready for it, it’s just I have fears of feeling intense pain during the procedure. Pain afterwards is fine, just the thoughts of it during it, especially with the infection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’ve to have a bottom molar to be extracted soon. I’ve been to the dentist, they were excellent, put me at ease and explained my options. I’ve been given antibiotics to clear a nasty infection under the tooth first.

My dilemma is they’ve offered me two dates to have it out. One is the day I’m finished my antibiotics and one a week later. Im about half way through my course and only slightly feeling better. Ideally I’d have the tooth out as quick as as I’m nervous. But I don’t wanna waste the dentists time if I’m still in pain from the infection and it can’t come out.

Secondly, will the extraction be painful? I’ve had a fear of dentists but I can usually get over it and get myself ready for it, it’s just I have fears of feeling intense pain during the procedure. Pain afterwards is fine, just the thoughts of it during it, especially with the infection.

Had the same issue myself and got done the earliest possible date - I think it was the day after the antibiotics finished. As for the pain during extraction - it depends on how bad the tooth is and the shape of the root. I had mine pulled out so far and then drilled a bit as the root as hooked a bit. I'd describe it more as discomfort than pain and I'd be very anxious about going near a dentist tbh.

Advertisement