Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: what you wish you knew before getting braces?

Options
  • 27-09-2020 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

So I’ve been putting off getting braces for years and years. I need to get them but I’m afraid of picking a bad orthodontist/ expensive / unreliable etc (very paranoid).

For those of you who have had braces, Is there anything/ any tips that you would tell a person who is starting from scratch, is there anything you wish you knew or you wish someone had told you before getting braces?

Is there anything obvious that I should watch out for? I do not qualify fo Invisalign as I have a baby booth that will have to be removed. I have been told the traditional train tracks will be best for me.

Any tips/advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

The one thing I would have done differently is wear the putty to protect my gums more often. I had braces for a very long time, and have been left with scar tissue on the insides of my mouth from the brackets.

So if you feel any rubbing or irritation - address it straightaway I say!

A water pick (the flosser yokes) would have been such a godsend. Interdental brushes helped but the water pick would have made it so much simpler and comfortable

Best of luck with them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

The older you are the less they work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Not true bobbyy, more HWFO from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

My advice: go to an ortho not a dentist
    Don't go for "front teeth only" or "top only" you will regret not doing the full job.

Get a waterpick

Get metal normal braces, not Invisalign, not ceramic brackets (with braces you can fit and forget almost, eat normally etc, Invisalign is a pain and is less accurate that traditional braces.

Ceramic brackets are fine but more fragile, the biggest issue with them is the ligatures turn yellow the second you go near a curry etc. No such issues with the metal braces and coloured ligatures.

Retainers are for life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Thanks for the responses. Does anybody have any recommendations for a decent, reliable orthodontist in South Dublin?

Advertisement