Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Godless - Netflix (**Spoilers**)

• 24-08-2017 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭

Netflix has set November 22 for the premiere of Godless, a limited period drama series from the Out of Sight duo of Steven Soderbergh and Scott Frank.
    Written, directed and executive produced by Frank, the seven-part Godless is a Western set in an 1800s New Mexico mining town, starring Jeff Daniels, Michelle Dockery and Jack O’Connell.

It centers on notorious criminal Frank Griffin (Daniels) and his gang of outlaws who are on a mission of revenge against Roy Goode (O’Connell), a son-like protégé who betrayed the brotherhood. While on the run, Roy seeks refuge with hardened widower Alice Fletcher (Dockery), an outcast herself, in a worn-down, isolated mining town of La Belle, NM — governed mainly by women. When word reaches La Belle that Griffin is headed their way, the town bands together to defend against the murderous gang in a lawless western frontier

http://deadline.com/2017/08/godless-november-premiere-date-netflix-steven-soderbergh-jeff-daniels-michelle-dockery-1202155182/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This looks very very very very very good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,543 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Merritt Wever as a badass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks amazing.

Will this be on the Irish/UK Netflix?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Will this be on the Irish/UK Netflix?

Yes. It's made by Netflix so all regions will get it.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Yes. It's made by Netflix so all regions will get it.

Thats good but we dont get everything,for instance Netflix in the UK got the new Dynasty series but we didn't! Maybe an Irish tv channel got the broadcasting rights for that show!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Thats good but we dont get everything,for instance Netflix in the UK got the new Dynasty series but we didn't! Maybe an Irish tv channel got the broadcasting rights for that show!

Dynasty isn't made by Netflix they just bought the rights to air it in the UK one of the Irish channel more than likely bought the rights to air it here before Netflix got the chance to.

Dropped on Netflix today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Caught the 1st two episodes. Am quite enjoying it. Jeff Daniels seems badly miscasted though, which is a little distracting, the others main casts look good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Couldn't make it past episode 1 too slow building for me nothing was gripping me in the first 30 mins with not alot happening.

Each episode seems to be about 1hr15mins seems a bit much when it's so slow

it's a great looking show though with beautiful cinematography

• Advertisement

biggebruv wrote: »
    Couldn't make it past episode 1 too slow building for me nothing was gripping me in the first 30 mins with not alot happening.

Each episode seems to be about 1hr15mins seems a bit much when it's so slow

it's a great looking show though with beautiful cinematography

I actually really like the slow pace, set the mood perfectly. Really like Ray Goode character.

The whole thing has a Coen Brothers feel to it. Lot of different sub plots and mysteries. Definitely not one to bing watch, take your time and savour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Watched the first episode. Really liked it. But I love anything western anyway!
    Nothing happened in the first 30 minutes??? We had a slaughter of a whole town in the first few scenes!!!!
    I'm intrigued by it and cant wait to watch the rest. Looks like we got a whole lot of character backstory to get through and i'm looking forward to see how it all plays out.

Up to 3 watched now, this is definitely one I'd be happy to watch week to week as opposed to the whole thing over a few days.

Watched all 7 episodes. Really fantastic as it goes along. The episodes just getting better and better when you get more into the stories.

9.5/10 for me. It will go down as one of the western classics I think.

Would definitely watch again... in about 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

It's brilliant. Might just be the best show Netflix have made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

2 episodes in and I think it's very good

3 episodes in and absolutely loving it. Making me long for the days of 'Deadwood'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Cina wrote: »
    It's brilliant. Might just be the best show Netflix have made.

I finished it last night and would agree its up there as probably the best Netflix have made its that good,the acting was superb the cinematography the story everything just came together,the last episode could've been a stand alone movie it was excellent.

As it was a limited series i doubt there will be a season 2 anyone know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Watched the first episode last night and was pleasantly surprised. I'm not really a western kind of person as such, although I don't hate them. Netflix own shows seem to be of a very high quality anyway and it really comes through in this one.

It is definitely a slow burner but it seems to work well here, and of course slow burner doesn't mean boring in this instance, anything but in fact. Lots happening, it just doesn't rush through it which is a nice change of pace for me and the type of series I usually watch.

Very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I didn’t take to the first 30 minutes. All very stylised and not very explanatory.

Also it seems to not be what was advertised. The trailers concentrated on the town run by women. This is a standard western revenge story.

However I’ll continue and see what I think later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Enjoyed the first episode. Took a while to get used to seeing Jeff Daniels as a baddie.

Was also nice to see Sam Waterston on screen even if it's in another law enforcement role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Tore through it over the last few days and really, really enjoyed it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

I'm onto episode 3 and it's going a bit cheesy

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

watch the last episode last night,just when you think tv series cant get anybetter,this comes along a super series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

finished it and loved it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

really enjoyed that, great series and the story line and with the flash back scenes was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm 4 of 7 episodes in and it feels slow going so far.

Quality isn't bad but not hooking me in yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Only 3 episodes in but it is A1, love it. Superb production values.

Episode 5. OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop rubbing your damn eye with that hanky!!!

*twitch* *twitch*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Surprised this thread isnt 50+ pages long instead of 2! One of the best things Netflix ever did.

Just finished it. Wow. Those last few minutes.... damn.
    Loved every minute of it.

Finished! Yep, that last episode was the one!

The series in the lead up to it was ok. Like something was lacking.. my guess is probably the writing around the character interactions and the character stories. The production looked fine. The acting was grand.

Overall, decent enough.

My mind thought of Batman Vs Superman when
    yer man burst out of the house yelling MARTHA!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I have watched the first four episodes so far.

If it keeps going as it is this will be a 10/10 for me.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I enjoyed it. Check out Damnation also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Sad to see it only had 7 episodes. Loved every one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I loved it. High production values, good characters and back stories, good action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Definitely a slow burner. Really enjoyed the last few episodes. Cinematography and music was great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only halfway through and impressed with the show overall. The cinematography is particularly striking in places (one particular highlight that has stuck with me being
    the almost pitch-black saloon where the Marshall was shot, the strike of a match & lighting of a lamp the only illumination in the brief scene
    )

Yes its pace is undoubtedly slow, but that kind of thoughtful, considered pace matches the era anyway; that mythologised time of armed, frontier philosophisers in no great rush to be anywhere or do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Finished it the weekend and liked it big time.Top notch IMO.

I know they are saying there will be no second season, but unless I missed a explanation for it ,that remark in Roy's letter makes me think there will be one.

His brothers words to the affect
    You will be surprised by my occupation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Im not one for the cinematography side of things and usually dont take much notice, but this was just unreal in every aspect from actors, story and the way it was shot. Loved every minute of it, pity there was only 7 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Really enjoyed it as well. For some reason I didn't find it particularly slow moving. It was pretty obvious where it was all heading towards
    i.e. the shootout at then end
    but nevertheless the journey was enjoyable.

The cinematography
    of the final shoot out
    was really well done also and wouldn't look out of place in the cinema.

Regarding the cast Merritt Wever was the stand out for me.

Was bugging the hell out of me where I knew a few of the actors from lady who plays Mary Agnes was in the walking dead, and the fella who plays Bill was in a movie I watched only last week called Monsters (worth a look)

Whitey was in game of thrones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm putting this ahead of Mindhunter, personally.

Western theme reminded me I'd love to see Cormac Mc Carthy's Blood Meridian on screen. Days are long gone we'd get a faithful to the book version from Hollywood so maybe a series from Netflix or HBO more likely???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Holy sh*t. The last episode was breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Well worth checking out. I thought it was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

just finished it. last one was cracking. 9/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Always great to see a western done well and I thought this was really great. Every episode was packed with genuinely stunning scenery. I loved Maggie and would happily watch another season with her. The scenes of her and Alice shooting on the rooftop were awesome.
    Whitey's sudden death
    was genuinely unexpected and shocking.

I see some reviews are giving this B- / C+ scores. OK, it isn't Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad territory, but it is still compelling well crafted drama.

Good series ruined by a last episode that was just nonsense and very unbelievable shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good series ruined by a last episode that was just nonsense and very unbelievable shame

I actually felt the same. The last episode descended into a total cliche and really failed to deliver on what it had built up.

Entertaining all the same, but I felt it was a very disappointing final act. I would've given it an A otherwise, but I'd be more inclined to give it a B overall taking the last episode in mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement