Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-10-2020, 04:48   #16
iLikeWaffles

Light pollution filters can get good results in light polluted areas, but they're expensive roughly €100 - €200+ depending on the type (clip in / 1.25" / 2"), travelling out to darker skies of course you would not depend on LPF's. In general unless you're in the middle of the city or bortle +6 you could get away with LPF's but they don't cure light pollution merely improve things. Polaris shouldn't be an issue unless your back garden is 10 foot long. I'm SW facing myself and can see Polaris 10 feet or so away from the house.
Advertisement
10-10-2020, 00:02   #17
raf2020

I have checked and Polaris is pretty well accessible. I might need extension tube for mount, otherwise my rig will be placed in the middle of my backyard, on grass. It could causa issue with cables length.

I have bought already SW Evo 80ED and Canon 6D. Still hunting on 2nd hand HEQ5 Pro. After I will get mount I will think what else I need. For sure full frame LPF, probably ZWO ASI 120MM Mini USB 2.0 Mono Camera, M48 ring, camera rotator ring, Bhatinov mask and cables (for sure I have forgot about something).

I haven't seen nowhere 10m EQDIR, longest are 5m. There will be a lot of cabling to plug everything comfortable to desktop in living room but still I am finding somehow this idea better than laptop outside in plastic container like most of ppl do. As this is just theory so I might as well be wrong on it.

I have also Sky-Watcher .85x Reducer/Flattener (it comes with my scope) but I don't think I will need it with full frame DSLR. Ahhh. Another expense. Remove of infra red filter from it. In case of older Canons it was a way simpler so you could do it on your own, while 6D is a bit more complicated and... expensive. We will see.

Last edited by raf2020; 10-10-2020 at 00:13.
10-10-2020, 02:48   #18
iLikeWaffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf2020 View Post
I have checked and Polaris is pretty well accessible. I might need extension tube for mount, otherwise my rig will be placed in the middle of my backyard, on grass. It could causa issue with cables length.

I have bought already SW Evo 80ED and Canon 6D. Still hunting on 2nd hand HEQ5 Pro. After I will get mount I will think what else I need. For sure full frame LPF, probably ZWO ASI 120MM Mini USB 2.0 Mono Camera, M48 ring, camera rotator ring, Bhatinov mask and cables (for sure I have forgot about something).

I haven't seen nowhere 10m EQDIR, longest are 5m. There will be a lot of cabling to plug everything comfortable to desktop in living room but still I am finding somehow this idea better than laptop outside in plastic container like most of ppl do. As this is just theory so I might as well be wrong on it.

I have also Sky-Watcher .85x Reducer/Flattener (it comes with my scope) but I don't think I will need it with full frame DSLR. Ahhh. Another expense. Remove of infra red filter from it. In case of older Canons it was a way simpler so you could do it on your own, while 6D is a bit more complicated and... expensive. We will see.
For the Bhatinov mask you could make one of these fairly easily with cardboard and a craft knife or Stanley blade. They can be used for creative purposes such as elongating a star but they are mostly used as a focusing aid, the focuser on the 80ed is fairly smooth so just focusing on a bright star may be enough to get it to its most roundest. They definitely help though, easier to see if long lines are centered rather than if a tiny circle is actually a circle. If you wanted to elongate a star it could be done within Gimp or whatever program also.
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 19:32   #19
raf2020

I have stuck a bit on cabling. So as I have mentioned my pc is located in living room and I have balcony doors only to backyard which actually must be closed, otherwise because of cold my wife will ask me to take my rig and move out

My idea like for now is to buy 2 x 10m AC adapter extension cords (one will go to mount, 2nd to usb hub, those cables are pretty tiny, something - something like this) plus 10m usb cable to usb hub.

Standard power extension cord cable is too thick so for sure I won't be able to put it through balcony doors and close it. Another advantage of this idea is that 220v plugs will be connected indoor what is safer.

I still have feeling this solution isn't perfect. Maybe there is any usb 3.0 hub which doesn't need ac adapter so I will need place only 2 long cables? But from other had I want also to add dew heater straps soon which definitely needs charging.

Any better ideas? External battery placed in backgarden attic is also solution but a bit expensive.
17-10-2020, 21:33   #20
iLikeWaffles

There will be a limit on the length of a USB cable, you would need a special hub or Ethernet cable that is able to boost the signal. USB 2.0 is like 5m USB 3.0 has about a 3m threshold after that speeds start to drop off.
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 23:37   #21
raf2020

Actually I have sorted out problem with power as I have checked and I will be able close balcony doors even when standard, thick extension cord cable go through, what is great.

So now I have new problem with usb cable length Thanks for highlighting this. Do you think that standard usb hub on ac/dc adapter will handle it?
18-10-2020, 06:25   #22
iLikeWaffles

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Ca...m_ep_42-1.html
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size