Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Series 25

Options
  • 27-01-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭

It has been a while, hasn't it?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Chris and Eddie had to make a sharpish exit from an Alpine A110 last week, during filming, since it was on fire ... cue the hot lap jokes. They're fine, the car doesn't even look like a car any more. What is it with some of these modern supercars and their inadequate cooling systems? :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

bnt wrote: »
    Chris and Eddie had to make a sharpish exit from an Alpine A110 last week, during filming, since it was on fire ... cue the hot lap jokes. They're fine, the car doesn't even look like a car any more. What is it with some of these modern supercars and their inadequate cooling systems? :eek:

That's not a supercar. It is a sports car and an expensive one but it's not a Lamborghini Gallardo or a Ferrari 588. They are supercars.
    The A110 is more like a competitor to the Mazda MX-5.
    Id say there was nothing wrong with the cooling system in the car. Just these cowboys did not know how to drive it safely or maybe done something to it so it would happen. I would expect that from the 3 morans that used to do Top Gear. I thought these would be better and not do such silly childish things.
    Still looking forward to the show do and we only have 10 days to wait now :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Total set up to promo the show

Ms

This new series starts on the Sunday coming.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

To begin it; they are doing a road trip to the Nevada border. The views are nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Fastest jag ever...... has Rory forgotten about the XJ 220? :confused:

Sabine is back for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Solid first episode, the lads are more relaxed and natural when joking/chatting about things. Loved the cars, and the noise of the gt40. Looking forward to next week.

Also the salt flats flooded looked amazing.

I saw Extra Gear on BBC Two HD tonight. It's a good addition to TG.

It also got a new studio which is small but compact. :)

Another very solid episode. The off-road vehicles look like a massive amount of craic to mess around in :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I want one of those Russian yokes. The leccy bikes is actually quite a good idea for town commuting (not trail bikes obviously). The lack of studio audience interaction suggests they are largely pointless now beyond SIARPC feature.

I have a friend in the USA who has a Ford F-250 Super Duty, and I though that thing was big. That Ford F-650, on the other hand ... that's insane.

It's an insanely big truck, a grand to fill the tank is nuts.

Another very enjoyable show tonight. I had been thinking that Rory was being kept in the background a bit, but he got to drive some cracking cars. Chris and Matt seem to have great craic together.

Ms

I have to say this week's episode was far better than the last two. Some stunning cars on it. The Lexus and Honda at the beginning are on my list of cars to buy when I win the Lotto but so is a trip to Japan to pick up a cool car there and see some of the mad looking cars. Rory done really well. That Porsche out on the road was something else some noise from it tho and the Lambo wow.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I am thoroughly enjoying the new season, big improvements in most areas

My wife had long lost interest in watching with me towards the end of Clarkson and Co's sting and like the rest of us disliked Evans on it
    But the current set up has had a few things to take her interest and she has actually enjoyed it

Not the best show so far this season but still enjoyable, while I Like Dara and Ed, they weren't great guests.

I'd love too have a go off the Demon, it is seriously fast (in a straight line). The 2Cv video was pretty decent too.

Ms

I enjoyed tonight's episode. Thought it was very good. Thought the bit on the Kia and the Hyundai i30n was very good but I think he was a little harsh on the Kia. It's not meant to be a hot hatch it's a big cruiser and it does that job perfectly. The bit on the 2cv was nothing new really. Has been done on Top Gear before. It was a great inexpensive car for its time but not the best ever car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They do seem to be putting Rory in the background while Chris and Matt have all the fun. Last week it was the auction and race while Rory looked at the crazy mod side and this week it was the 2CV while Rory had one feature with a Kia and a Hyundai.
    Also was having a 2 guest head to head meant to make up for having no guest last week?

Maybe it's because Rory has extra gear ( I haven't seen any of them though). It seems like they have penned Matt and Chris as the main presenters.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Gru wrote: »
    Maybe it's because Rory has extra gear ( I haven't seen any of them though). It seems like they have penned Matt and Chris as the main presenters.

Yes I would say that's it. Extra Gear is hit and miss. Last weeks was not great. The one before that was very good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Japan episode was good.. the previous one (bigfoot) not so much... felt like it was 2hrs long.

The last episode is coming up next week. I'll miss it when it's gone, tonight was a good show. Very good series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Tactor-Tor was actually pretty good, if I were a large scale farmer I'd want one!

I really enjoyed this week's show. Gutted it's over already.

Chris breaking two Volvos was pretty hilarious. The Alpine catching fire was quite something, the speed at which it up was nuts. The SUV showdown was very similar to the grand tour but fun all the same.

I thought it was great to see them take a group of Chelsea Tractors and hoon them like that - certainly sorted the real SUVs from the pretenders, and those Volvos (both of them) came up short. IIRC Chris said something about the engine mounts being less than robust. The Alfa has had its critics e.g. I'm checking the Autocar review, which points out that the suspension is a simple passive type - no adaptive terrain modes or anything like those on the others. That didn't seem to be a problem during testing. This despite the Alfa being marketed as primarily a road-going vehicle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Gru wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this week's show. Gutted it's over already.

Chris breaking two Volvos was pretty hilarious. The Alpine catching fire was quite something, the speed at which it up was nuts. The SUV showdown was very similar to the grand tour but fun all the same.

It was a bit mad to hear that Chris seemed to only know it was on fire after he opened the door. I don't care that they identified and rectified the fault that led to it. He needs to know if the car is on fire, without the camera crew having a radio into them.

Ms

I was actually very disappointed with the last episode. Thought it was boring with very little humour in it. I was also disappointed with the SUV's the Alfa being the only good cool one. I though both the Volvo and the Land Rover were boring. A Jaguar F-Pace and maybe a Maserati SUV would have made a far more interesting and fun test. The Alpine catching fire was a bit mad alright and certainly did not look set up but that was the only good part to this episode. In fact I think this was there weakest episode ever. The episode before was far better and much funnier. I think that episode was there best one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement