Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

Finished the table.
    I stuck up some pics over on the DIY thread.
    Shes a beast !

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058101657

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Finished the table.
    I stuck up some pics over on the DIY thread.
    Shes a beast !

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058101657

Great stuff, it's a friggin' beast! Next job will be building a bigger shed to store it in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Ive just discovered the Slow ‘N Sear Deluxe Kamado
    I think I'm in love
    Anyone have any experience with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Conversely, A Room Outside were a disaster for me to deal with to try and get the same Masterbuilt kamado. I contacted them first a few months ago and was told they would be getting them in at some point in June and they would let me know. I contacted them a few times in between for an update only to be told the last time in early June that they had sold all of the Masterbuilt Kamados.

They never gave me an option to put down a deposit and now it is almost impossible to get a Masterbuilt Kamado. Absolutely horrendous customer service.

Congrats on your purchase though... it looks like a great Kamado and that cook looks amazing!

I dont seem to be able to edit this post? Just wanted to be fair and say that after some initial confusion A Room Outside did come through for me and organise a Masterbuilt Kamado for me. So fair play to them.

Loving the Kamado :D

Topic- Can't get the heat up on Kamado

So, having serious issues with the charcoal I brought back in the summer- well I"m hoping that's what it is.

"Restaurant grade" - purchased in an Irish Garden centre. I had bad experiences late summer and thought I just lazily didn't set the fire right but today, couldn't get the Kamado up high at all- like beyond 200 c - anyone experience with this?

I see KJ Big coal is sold out anywhere which is my preference- i looked on Irish websites- just not sure what shipping is like now from UK so would prefer Irish websites.

I might try Gobaltic to see what that's like- again, any experiences of this?

If you're cooking ceramic and want a low and slow temp, my charcoal will be perfect for you :D If you're cooking trad metal weber, it might just do the job- but for high heat on ceramic it's more than useless- light green bag, I'll check the name tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

The big k charcoal sold in the Lithuanica stores is quite good, bought and used some over Christmas for pizzas, 400 dg no problem.

Topic- Can't get the heat up on Kamado

So, having serious issues with the charcoal I brought back in the summer- well I"m hoping that's what it is.

"Restaurant grade" - couldn't get the Kamado up high at all- like beyond 200 c - anyone experience with this?

Yes!
    I had a half bag stashed under the bench from early September and used it on Christmas day for the turkey.
    Found it very difficult to get it up to temp. I mean I struggled to hit 180 consistently so really poor.
    I think it was damp from my lazy storage option.

Thankfully the turkey cooked quicker than I had allowed for and was a delight.

Yes!
    I had a half bag stashed under the bench from early September and used it on Christmas day for the turkey.
    Found it very difficult to get it up to temp. I mean I struggled to hit 180 consistently so really poor.
    I think it was damp from my lazy storage option.

Thankfully the turkey cooked quicker than I had allowed for and was a delight.

I've since found out that some charcoal actually doesn't get up to high temperatures and is more suited to low and slow. That might be your problem also. While it might have been damp, it's also possible that it's not good for high temps - did you achieve significantly high temps previously with these coals? Any idea of the brand or where you purchased?

- did you achieve significantly high temps previously with these coals? Any idea of the brand or where you purchased?

Have had it blazing with the same coal before.
    Always get this stuff
    https://woodfuel.ie/product/charcoal-12kg/

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Hey all,
    Has anyone heard of or used bbq4you?
    They're not on trustpilot and can't find reviews so that's a bad start!

I'm looking for a kamado, can't afford to splash on Joe or Green egg :(

Cheers
    Ferg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

twerg_85 wrote:
    Hey all, Has anyone heard of or used bbq4you? They're not on trustpilot and can't find reviews so that's a bad start!

They are on adverts selling those kamados.

Have had it blazing with the same coal before.
    Always get this stuff
    https://woodfuel.ie/product/charcoal-12kg/

Very similar to the “bad” bag I had- just got new different brand- it’s like worlds apart - big chunky coals vs the small crappy sack of bits that I had previously - my crappy bag was 17 euro- my good bag was 26 euro- I won’t be skimping on price next time- firm believer you get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

twerg_85 wrote:
    Hey all, Has anyone heard of or used bbq4you? They're not on trustpilot and can't find reviews so that's a bad start!

If they're based in Drogheda I'll vouch for him. I bought a kamado bono mini and haven't had a problem.

I have a large big green egg and wanted something small and portable and this does the trick.

I ended up getting one after my last post. Ordered online Saturday night, it was delivered Sunday morning!

Have fired it up twice now, gets up to heat and maintains temp really well, even in the wind, rain and light hail.

Got premium charcoal from surefire wood if anyone looking for that - good price and lights quickly in the kamado.

Cheers,
    F.

What did you go for ?
    Any pics?

I'm hoping to get my massive composite deck done this year + outdoor kitchen so might add another BBQ.
    Maybe a mini kamado .

What did you go for ?
    Any pics?

I'm hoping to get my massive composite deck done this year + outdoor kitchen so might add another BBQ.
    Maybe a mini kamado .

I got the Media size. 52cm grill with foldable tables on side. Relatively small footprint on the stand that comes with it.

The grill setup is good, it's 2 half moons and the ceramic heat deflector also. I think this is standard on kamados and it allows you to have for example half the grill high over deflector and half it low over direct heat.

Apologies for quality of photos, hands were freezing so didn't spend time on the shots!

Ferg.

P. S. Can only seem to load one photo.

Last try

twerg_85 wrote:
    Last try

Happy grilling mate, there's no going back from here.

If those are beef ribs I'd recommend you keep the rack together as a whole piece. They'll take a bit longer but plenty of meat left on em.

They still look bloody good though.

Fredinho wrote: »
    Happy grilling mate, there's no going back from here.

If those are beef ribs I'd recommend you keep the rack together as a whole piece. They'll take a bit longer but plenty of meat left on em.

They still look bloody good though.

Cheers!
    I never thought of doing them full rack for some reason, but makes perfect sense.
    That's next week's dinner planned so :)

Ferg.

Nice, enjoy it while it's clean!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Any thoughts on non Joe brands such as Kamado Bono (Higgins butchers) or kamado Buschbeck (outdoor scene)?

The Bono was what I got and very happy with it ... I'm only a few cooks in mind you !

I'd recommend the large size. I got the Media which is enough for a family but if lockdown ever ends a bigger one would be nice.

Cheers,
    Ferg.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

twerg_85 wrote: »
    The Bono was what I got and very happy with it ... I'm only a few cooks in mind you !

I'd recommend the large size. I got the Media which is enough for a family but if lockdown ever ends a bigger one would be nice.

Cheers,
    Ferg.

Do any of the Green Egg or Kamado Joe accessories fit the Bono? Or does it have its own range readily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Full range available , I have the media and use it all seasons.
    Have a look at Bbq4u to see all the accessories.

davegilly wrote:
    Do any of the Green Egg or Kamado Joe accessories fit the Bono? Or does it have its own range readily available?

They should but would be more expensive than bono own brand or no name brand. The grill sizes are comparative so should be all good

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lisij

Where to buy Kamado Joe Jr in Ireland , seems all out of stock or on preorder. Want to give Kamado a try and compare it to Weber, but dont want to spend a lot on it

lisij wrote: »
    Where to buy Kamado Joe Jr in Ireland , seems all out of stock or on preorder. Want to give Kamado a try and compare it to Weber, but dont want to spend a lot on it

You have kamado Bono in Higgins butchers. Check them online. I’m getting a grande pretty soon. Delivery up to 5 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lisij

You have kamado Bono in Higgins butchers. Check them online. I’m getting a grande pretty soon. Delivery up to 5 weeks

How Bono compares to Joe?

lisij wrote:
    How Bono compares to Joe?

Same principle

Bono is a budget model, Joe is a premium recognised brand name. They do exactly the same thing.

• Advertisement

Bought the Bono Grande today. Let's see when they deliver

Advertisement