Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When a minor accidentally breaks your window

• 19-09-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

If a kid breaks my window playing football, what are my rights?

If he/she or their parents obliged to pay for it? Are they liable for any criminal charges?

I tried googling and couldn't get a concrete answer with regards Ireland.

Apparently in some US states it is taken rather seriously.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

ask neibour to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah criminal charges for kids breaking a window by accident, how would you even arrive at that thought? Get the parents to pay for it and forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Why would there be criminal charges if it was an accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Suggest coming to an arrangement with neighbour. Keep it friendly, don't involve Gárdai nor solicitors. Good neighbours are important

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Smee_Again wrote: »

Criminal damage includes recklessness. Intent is not a required proof.

If the kid is under 12yrs they’re not capable of committing the offence of criminal damage.

If you get along with the parents of the child, they may be willing to pay if it’s brought to their attention and you can prove it / the child admits it. But I wouldn’t go falling out with neighbours over a
    smashed window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Thanks for answers.

What I mean is If I ask parents to pay and they tell me F Off, what is my recourse?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You effectively don't have any recourse tbh.

If you approach them and calmly explain what happened, hopefully the parents offer you something as a token gesture. If they do, take it and let them know you appreciate their decency because they would be well within their rights to tell you to FO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I broke a window in school when I was 13 or 14, hurled a Maths book at a mate and missed. Probably the better outcome, as high speed copies of Concise Maths 3 vs the human skull have been shown to be uncomfortable.

My folks paid the school and I was grounded for a week. The Gardaí were not troubled with my wanton act of violence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

sdanseo wrote: »
    I broke a window in school when I was 13 or 14, hurled a Maths book at a mate and missed. Probably the better outcome, as high speed copies of Concise Maths 3 vs the human skull have been shown to be uncomfortable.

My folks paid the school and I was grounded for a week. The Gardaí were not troubled with my wanton act of violence.
    what was the velocity and angle of the book
    work out the speed of the book where x is the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Forget criminal damage or any other crime. Even if you coul have the child arrested, charged, indicted, tried, convicted and sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered - and you can't - how would that help? Your window would still be broken.

Forget involving the guards. This is so not their problem.

Check your house insurnance. Cover for accidental damage is standard. This was an accident. You should be covered.

There may be an excess. Forget trying to make the child pay. You can't, and anyway he probably doesn't have the money.

Approach the child's parents. They are not liable, but they will probably offer. Maybe split the excess with them?

Be glad you live in a neighbourhood where kids play in the street. Those neighbourhoods have lower crime rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bobbyy gee wrote:
    ask neibour to pay

Definitely, but be nice about it, no need to go full retard and threaten legal action over it, it's only glass, sh1t breaks

bobbyy gee wrote:
    what was the velocity and angle of the book work out the speed of the book where x is the window

You spent the day in that relativity thread, didn't you, take the day off, your brain needs it

Peregrinus wrote: »

Be glad you live in a neighbourhood where kids play in the street. Those neighbourhoods have lower crime rates.

Is this true?

Is this true?

debatable, id imagine, but it definitely makes for a happier neighborhood, sometimes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I would approach the parents in a friendly manner saying it was only an accident, and ask if they would cover it as it’s only fair.

I can’t offer any legal advice. I’m just surprised to hear that theoretically the parents are not liable/cannot be made to pay. I always assumed I was financially responsible for whatever damage my kids do.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I don’t imagine you have any legal recourse, outside of taking a civil court case for damages, which unless the kid broke a 5 grand triple glazed 3m*6m slider is complete overkill.

I broke a neighbours window with a football as a kid of about 9/10. My parents offered repeatedly to pay for the window but the neighbour wouldn’t hear of it. I was taken to Dunnes stores with some of my own birthday money and instructed to buy a very large box of chocolates for the lady who’s window I broke, she was very appreciative of the gesture when I came by with them and we all lived happily ever after

Thanks again for answers.

I'd like to point out that this is all purely theoretical at present.

My windows haven't been broken as of yet but they've definitely been hit and I'd like to be prepared for any eventualities.

I'm a lowly civil servant so wouldn't like to be out of pocket if someone broke my windows.

Asus X540L wrote:
    I'm a lowly civil servant so wouldn't like to be out of pocket if someone broke my windows.

What's your address, we need to resolve this matter, I like breaking glass, one stone situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I broke a neighbour's window last year when a stone flew out from under my lawnmower and hit their window. We were very, very unlucky on the angle required to go from lawnmower, over the wall, to the top of their window. We told them we'd pay of course, and we had a glazier that had previously done work for each of us, so they were happy that we called the guy and we paid directly. There was a little bit of messing when she moaned a bit at yer man about fiddly stuff, but it all got sorted.

So now I rake before I cut, on that section of the grass anyway.

I broke a neighbour's window last year when a stone flew out from under my lawnmower and hit their window. We were very, very unlucky on the angle required to go from lawnmower, over the wall, to the top of their window. We told them we'd pay of course, and we had a glazier that had previously done work for each of us, so they were happy that we called the guy and we paid directly. There was a little bit of messing when she moaned a bit at yer man about fiddly stuff, but it all got sorted.

So now I rake before I cut, on that section of the grass anyway.

old school teacher nearly lost a leg from a stone and a lawnmower, was bloody lucky to walk after it

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    old school teacher nearly lost a leg from a stone and a lawnmower, was bloody lucky to walk after it

When you think about that it actually has at least three different meanings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Smee_Again wrote: »

By that logic, why are murder and manslaughter different charges? Shure why would there be any charges at all if it was an accident. (It's on a totally different scale, for sure, but the same fundamental question.)

OP, as well as the legal answers, pragmatically you could have a chat with the local community guard. It's not good for kids to see that sort of stuff happen with no consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

By that logic, why are murder and manslaughter different charges? Shure why would there be any charges at all if it was an accident. (It's on a totally different scale, for sure, but the same fundamental question.)
    Im not sure if your being deliberately provocative, but theres a huge difference between fracturing a bone deliberately and fracturing a bone accidentally.
    Never mind a child younger than the age of criminal responsibility cant be charged with a crime requiring mens rea.
    OP, as well as the legal answers, pragmatically you could have a chat with the local community guard. It's not good for kids to see that sort of stuff happen with no consequences.
    Im not sure that involving an organisation(an Garda Síochána), headed by a man (Drew Harris), who tried to cover up the state(uk) involvement in murdering loads of people is the way to go to show a child that there should be consequenses for doing bad things, or careless things....

Mod
    Easy now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Is this true?
    Yes, it is. Both burglary, housebreaking etc and vandalism/street crime are less common in areas where plenty of people are outdoors, and more common in quite and unfrequented areas.

Which, when you think about it, is not all that surprising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I broke the next door neighbours' window with a wayward sliotar when I was 10. I thought I'd be given the bollocking of a lifetime but my parents were uncharacteristically sound about it and just popped next door to apologise and pay for it. As an adult I now realise that they hate those neighbours.

Advertisement