Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roses Lime Juice. Anyone seen it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭frisket

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Somewhere like Nolans in Clontarf might be a good place to hunt, I've seen Co-Op products on the shelves there. Think that indicates they get stocks from the UK.

Cool, thanks. Had another tweet from @cocacolaie saying they were sorry and really are trying to supply customers — but the problem seems to be that the customers (incl M&S) believe it has gone off the market, so they won't order it. Coca Cola Sales need to explain the problem to the customers, and Coca Cola Marketing need to get back in their box.

After some experimentation, I found a recipe which is uncannily close to Roses at https://stevethebartender.com.au/roses-lime-juice-cordial-diy-recipe/

Basically:

1. Dissolve 250g caster sugar in 250ml water

2. Add juice and microplaned zest of 1 lime

3. Add 3tsp citric acid (hunt for a pharmacy that still sells it, I got mine in Blarney Allcare)

4. Blitz on max in blender for 60 sec

5. Strain through very fine sieve

6. Bottle and keep in fridge

Well, a shock call from my brother-in-law in Dublin — Rose's Lime Juice spotted in SuperValu in Churchtown, so he bought me some, the dacent man. From the label, the best-before is July 2021 which implies to me it might be pre-pandemic stock.

In other news, Marks & Spencer obviously don't see Rose's returning to the Irish market because they have brought out their own-brand Mexican Lime Cordial, which is very good indeed. A pity that they chose to make it with Sucralose instead of sugar, though, in order to jump on board the "no added sugar" bandwagon, as it leaves an aftertaste. But definitely worth using as a replacement if Rose's has indeed vanished from the Irish market. Last heard of, Coca Cola Ireland were still pretending it was available, but every store I have asked says the same: if they order it, it never arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

frisket wrote: »
    Well, a shock call from my brother-in-law in Dublin — Rose's Lime Juice spotted in SuperValu in Churchtown, so he bought me some, the dacent man. From the label, the best-before is July 2021 which implies to me it might be pre-pandemic stock.

In other news, Marks & Spencer obviously don't see Rose's returning to the Irish market because they have brought out their own-brand Mexican Lime Cordial, which is very good indeed. A pity that they chose to make it with Sucralose instead of sugar, though, in order to jump on board the "no added sugar" bandwagon, as it leaves an aftertaste. But definitely worth using as a replacement if Rose's has indeed vanished from the Irish market. Last heard of, Coca Cola Ireland were still pretending it was available, but every store I have asked says the same: if they order it, it never arrives.

Yep they always have it in SuperValu in Churchtown. It’s €5.99 a bottle though.

This may be the problem: M&S and other out;ets believe customers won't pay that.

They're wrong — there is no substitute. Congratulations to SuperValu in Churchtown for knowing their customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im after some pure lime juice for a Mexican recipe, Tesco are supposed to have this but it wasnt on the juice shelves when I checked a few days ago. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=260300777

Any other supermarkets sell lime juice, I dont think Lidl or Aldi do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭MickH503

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im after some pure lime juice for a Mexican recipe, Tesco are supposed to have this but it wasnt on the juice shelves when I checked a few days ago. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=260300777

That type of juice is usually in the baking section. Not sure, but I think supervalu do something similar ... check in the baking aisle.

Muahahaha wrote: »

"Pure" lime juice I assume means just the normal juice of limes. The easiest way is to buy limes and squeeze them (buy a lemon-squeezer for €2 somewhere). I have never seen it in stores.

frisket wrote: »
    This may be the problem: M&S and other out;ets believe customers won't pay that.

They're wrong — there is no substitute. Congratulations to SuperValu in Churchtown for knowing their customers!

Coca Cola Ireland came back to me on Twitter to say Rose's Lime Cordial is "no longer made in Ireland"! You mean it was actually made here? WTF?

Either way, they disclaimed all responsibility for it, and said anything found on sale must have been imported separately from the UK (ie not through Coca Cola Ireland). That would explain SuperValu's high price OK.

It doesn't change the fact that Coca Cola Ireland dropped us on the floor without thinking.

Advertisement