Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-08-2020, 20:27   #16
ironclaw

As others have said, speaking as an electronic engineer, solve the power issue first. And I don't mean estimate or take a guess, I mean go and talk to someone who's already done it professionally. Don't take a single step further until you have that solved. As even if you could get a generator big and quiet enough, the existing power system may not support the loads you would be asking it to and you may need to rewire it. The cost could be substantial and I doubt you want to go through a complete set up each and every time you have a client.

I've worked on ambulances and they have no where near the power draw required for what you want to achieve. Most of the systems are battery powered first and the simply charge off the alternator, there is no heavy load for sustained periods of time as you will require here.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-08-2020, 08:23   #17
generalmental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclaw View Post
As others have said, speaking as an electronic engineer, solve the power issue first. And I don't mean estimate or take a guess, I mean go and talk to someone who's already done it professionally. Don't take a single step further until you have that solved. As even if you could get a generator big and quiet enough, the existing power system may not support the loads you would be asking it to and you may need to rewire it. The cost could be substantial and I doubt you want to go through a complete set up each and every time you have a client.

I've worked on ambulances and they have no where near the power draw required for what you want to achieve. Most of the systems are battery powered first and the simply charge off the alternator, there is no heavy load for sustained periods of time as you will require here.
Thank you. I honestly wouldn't know where to start. Can you make any recommendations of what I should be looking for.
02-08-2020, 08:40   #18
listermint

She'd be losing time and money between appointments travelling around the place.
Thanks from:
03-08-2020, 20:49   #19
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalmental View Post
Thank you. I honestly wouldn't know where to start. Can you make any recommendations of what I should be looking for.
You'd want to seek out the camper van community I'd say, would be a good place to start and ask for the best electrical company you can find. Assuming someone had fitted an electric shower, it would be a good start on the level of wiring and load. But keep in mind that these types of loads are generally for when you are parked up and connected to mains, not on the road etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
She'd be losing time and money between appointments travelling around the place.
The baked in cost per appointment would need to be pretty high alright. It would only work if you had a group or were doing community outreach I'd say.
Thanks from:
03-08-2020, 20:53   #20
banie01

I don't know much about the vagaries of converting the Ambulance.
But!
The naming possibilities are bloody brilliant!
Beauty 911, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Hair Attack, Blue light specials!

And loads more, and undoubtedly loads better too
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-08-2020, 21:16   #21
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

I'm still trying to decide if this is a brilliant idea or an awful idea.

It's a great marketing idea but if I saw you parked outside my neighbour's house I'd be thinking, 'Jazzus, your one needs the emergency services to try and fix her!'.

It just takes one comment and you'll never be asked round again!
(2) thanks from:
09-08-2020, 13:03   #22
generalmental

Quote:
You'd want to seek out the camper van community I'd say, would be a good place to start and ask for the best electrical company you can find. Assuming someone had fitted an electric shower, it would be a good start on the level of wiring and load. But keep in mind that these types of loads are generally for when you are parked up and connected to mains, not on the road etc.

The baked in cost per appointment would need to be pretty high alright. It would only work if you had a group or were doing community outreach I'd say.
The plan is to try and arrange the appointments around each other. Lots of her clientèle come from Dublin so she will be trying to do 3 days per week in Dublin and arrange them on proximity to each other.
We know that can't happen all the time, but after doing the numbers and with no rent charge its definitely worth a go.
09-08-2020, 13:05   #23
generalmental

Quote:
Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
I don't know much about the vagaries of converting the Ambulance.
But!
The naming possibilities are bloody brilliant!
Beauty 911, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Hair Attack, Blue light specials!

And loads more, and undoubtedly loads better too
All good, but we definitely wont be using any names with "dead" in it. Doesn't seem right.
Thanks from:
09-08-2020, 13:08   #24
generalmental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomtastic! View Post
I'm still trying to decide if this is a brilliant idea or an awful idea.

It's a great marketing idea but if I saw you parked outside my neighbour's house I'd be thinking, 'Jazzus, your one needs the emergency services to try and fix her!'.

It just takes one comment and you'll never be asked round again!
There will be a respray on the ambulance, I would hate it if someone is ill and waiting for an ambulance to see hers coming and think its the one that they need.
Advertisement
09-08-2020, 13:10   #25
jetfiremuck

My advice.....Go for it. Have her contact a hair company or supplier and have a sponsored wrap done on the ambulance. Great advertising and will boost your business. You can use those quiet run honda generators for power backup to an inverter set up. Youll need instant hot water as well as water and gray water holding tanks. Led lights etc and youre all set. Best time to start a business is now. Good luck
(2) thanks from:
11-08-2020, 17:18   #26
ironclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfiremuck View Post
Have her contact a hair company or supplier and have a sponsored wrap done on the ambulance. Great advertising and will boost your business.
You might get a local business but no major supplier or brand will touch you unless you are rolling around in a very new, very modern vehicle

Quote:
You can use those quiet run honda generators for power backup to an inverter set up.
With the concurrent and sustained loads involved, you can't use consumer grade equipment. This needs prior planning. If you were just cutting hair, no dry or washing, then you might get away with it. But for your average salon grade wash and cut, no, not even close.

Quote:
Youll need instant hot water as well as water and gray water holding tanks. Led lights etc and youre all set.
Heating water will alone need a very large generator unless you want to go the gas route, and that's even more expensive.

Overall, this is extremely poor advice and not even remotely realistic or grounded in fact.
Thanks from:
11-08-2020, 20:58   #27
Padre_Pio

Quote:
Heating water will alone need a very large generator unless you want to go the gas route, and that's even more expensive.

Overall, this is extremely poor advice and not even remotely realistic or grounded in fact.
This is an interesting point. Say it takes 50 litres to wash hair and you have 5 customers. That's 250 litres you need to carry around and heat, maybe 150 litres of hot water and 100 of cold. Plus extra to wash up, clean tools and all the other uses for water in a salon, so maybe 300-350. That's 350kg. A lot of weight to put in a van. PLUS the additional grey water storage space needed, so 700 litres of space needed.

OP, my advice would be to ask your wife to note every time she uses the utilities.
People may be willing to compromise on "salon quality" slightly for the convenience of having a stylist visit their house, but I don't think they'll compromise too much. It might be too much to fit an entire salon into a van.

Last edited by Padre_Pio; 11-08-2020 at 21:05.
11-08-2020, 21:08   #28
seannash

I gotta say its a bad idea. People go for treatments to sometimes relax and i just dont see that happening in the back of a van.
She had the right idea doing it in her home,saves her paying rent on a premises and petrol, insurance and time.
It simply wont be the same experience for her clients. Image the young lads who will bang on the ambulance when your inside plucking someones eyebrows or injecting botox.
26-08-2020, 15:36   #29
seandurcan1966

No expert at all on power but if you were to run the equipment at 110V, obviously requires a different type of inverter and all new equipment to run at 110V. Would that help in any way?
26-08-2020, 16:51   #30
Padre_Pio

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandurcan1966 View Post
No expert at all on power but if you were to run the equipment at 110V, obviously requires a different type of inverter and all new equipment to run at 110V. Would that help in any way?
Twice as bad.

Now if you could find a 400V hairdryer, we'd be in business!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion