Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French films

Options
  • 02-03-2016 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Hello, looking for advice regarding French films suitable for a first/second year French class. I have shown my students 'Petit Nicolas' which they loved but I cannot locate 'Les grandes vacances du petit Nicolas' with English subtitles. Are there any other films that I could use? Merci en avance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Les Choristes

Buckets of resources on TES too, just google search " les choristes worksheet "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Les Choristes

Buckets of resources on TES too, just google search " les choristes worksheet "

Thanks ðŸ˜႒ I have that already. I'm looking for films similar to Petit Nicolas as there is no bad language / inappropriate scenes where I have to chase to the computer but it's proving difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Gotcha, have you considered getting a non-french film and changing the language in the settings menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ngunners

Maybe 'Moi, moche et méchant'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm not sure but you might be able to get a copy of Le Petit Prince. It's supposed to be released here some time this year but was released in France last summer and I'm fairly sure it's out on dvd there now.

War of the Buttons was also originally done in French in the 60s. TV5 have shown it a few times. It was remade around 5 years ago too so is probably also on dvd in a more modern form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

Hello, looking for advice regarding French films suitable for a first/second year French class. I have shown my students 'Petit Nicolas' which they loved but I cannot locate 'Les grandes vacances du petit Nicolas' with English subtitles. Are there any other films that I could use? Merci en avance

Avoir et etre is very good and suitable. Are you showing films to first and second years? Just curious as I wouldn't normally until ty

janes1234 wrote: »
    Avoir et etre is very good and suitable. Are you showing films to first and second years? Just curious as I wouldn't normally until ty

I have that - not mad about it. I only show them before holidays so I was only looking last night in order to get it in time for midterm. The students really enjoyed Petit Nicolas so I wanted to get the next one. I have a good collection for TY but find it difficult to get something for first/second years.

I'm not sure but you might be able to get a copy of Le Petit Prince. It's supposed to be released here some time this year but was released in France last summer and I'm fairly sure it's out on dvd there now.

War of the Buttons was also originally done in French in the 60s. TV5 have shown it a few times. It was remade around 5 years ago too so is probably also on dvd in a more modern form.

That would be great!! I'll have a look. It would be great for one of my first students who asked me about it. I'll have a look at The War of the buttons - this was always a success when I was subbing ðŸ˜႒

ngunners wrote: »
    Maybe 'Moi, moche et méchant'?

Will have a look thanks ðŸ˜႒

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Gotcha, have you considered getting a non-french film and changing the language in the settings menu!

Its even harder ðŸ˜႒ I've tried a few times but can't get any DVDs with French language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It might be worth contacting the Alliance Francais http://alliance-francaise.ie They used to do some films for students a long time ago, not sure if they still do but no harm in checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I showed Les Intouchables to my second years, about two years ago now, they absolutely loved it. They are in TY now and still ask to watch it.

I showed Les Intouchables to my second years, about two years ago now, they absolutely loved it. They are in TY now and still ask to watch it.

I love this film!! Have showed it to my TYs and Fifth years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Great movie.

If they're that age, maybe La cité des enfants perdus, by Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet? (or others by that duo, they've made some very funny stuff...)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112682/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Le Dîner de Cons would be a great choice. Le Placard (there should be subtitles available in the settings on that video), by the same director, might also be worth trying.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Le Dîner de Cons would be a great choice. Le Placard (there should be subtitles available in the settings on that video), by the same director, might also be worth trying.

I have Le dîner de cons and its also available on YouTube with English subtitles as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

A few recommendations from a French teenager beside me:

1. RRRrrrr!!! – Comedy about a bunch of cavemen fighting another bunch of cavemen.

2. Qu'est-cé qu'on a fait au bon Dieu (comedy with a political edge about a rich old French family horrified about who their daughter is marrying. Lots of French slang.)

3.Les Choristes (she liked the music at that age)

4. Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheSplendid

In "not-French movies with French dub", I'd recommend Inside Out (Vice Versa en français). It's great to work on emotions and families, very suitable for 1st years and even 2nd years.

Les Aventures Extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec is quite odd but very nice, might interest some of your students. There's bits of violence from what I'm remembered but it's rated 12 so should be fine ?

I'm not sure about Mission Cléopâtre, not because it would be unsuitable but because it's FULL of private jokes and cultural references. I personally love it (I'm French), but not sure Irish students would get it.

The TV show Kaamelott is absolutely hilarious, you can find some episodes on YouTube with subtitles. They speak veeeery fast so it'd be more as a "bonus" (at the end of class/year) than actually learning material. The episodes are usually around 3-5 minutes long.

Advertisement