Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you trust your colleagues to back you up and represent you fairly?

Options
  • 22-03-2016 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Just a query from an interesting chat we had the other day with other teachers,the following came up,do you trust your fellow teachers?
    Do they all stand by you when you make a suggestion at a staff meeting?
    Do they stay quiet when you need their backing regarding a school issue that affects all teachers?
    Do they represent you fairly ,in your opinion,by giving feed back from Board Of Management meetings,Union metings and such like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Simple answer,No they don't back you up and yes they do stay quiet.As for your question re BOM and union,I'm not sure on that one.

Why don't we back each other up? you may ask. Well you need only look at the results of all the recent ballots:

Why do loads of people not bother to vote?

Why do the various teacher unions not back each other up?

Why the divisiveness within the profession on such vital matters as the new JC,the various agreements, the CP hours, extra curricular activities?

And why the resultant split in votes which frequently boils down to 50/50 give or take?

Why all the apathy and apparent disinterest in vital matters?

Why indeed. A certain Irish me-feinism maybe, an old /young divide, a secure /non secure divide or something else?

Something to ponder for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

No way, everyone is protecting their own interests and you never feel that knife coming in your back until its too late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

1. Job security
    2. Your Timetable next September...

For us meetings are all about driving dept. paperwork policies nowadays.. SSE ,WSE,AFL,
    I think it's great INTO are threatening not to, engage in this anymore until real teacher issues are dealt with. Give me that over strikes any day of the week.

Advertisement