Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you teach science with a sports science degree?

Options
  • 22-03-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Will a sports science degree enable me to teach science in a secondary school. Thinking of doing a sports science degree and then a masters in physical education but I believe that schools will rarely hire teachers without a second subject. Would appreciate any help with this, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You need to check the Teaching Council literature for a list of suitable degrees. If the degree you hope to have is not on it, you have to pay through the nose for them to make a decision.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Registration/Documents/Curricular-Subject-Requirments-after-January-2017.pdf (.pdf file) - applicable to after January 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Yes you will more than likely have the credits needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    Yes you will more than likely have the credits needed.

To teach science to junior cert or would it qualify me to do biology to lc?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

sligolad1 wrote: »

Both I think. Of the sport science degrees that I know off anyway, they have the required credits fro both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

sligolad1 wrote: »

You'll only be qualified to teach Junior Cert Science if you're qualified in a Leaving Cert Science subject. You can't be qualified as just a Junior Cert Science teacher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement