Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Lightest' plug tobacco

Options
  • 28-12-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Folks...some advice would be appreciated.

I have an old, pipe smoking uncle, who smokes Mick McQuaid plug every day (or Condor when he can't get MMQ). For health reasons, we need to wean him onto something lighter, because it is starting to have an affect on him, from a health pov. Getting him to stop is impossible (and taking away his smoking ritual wouldn't be right either) but if there was a lighter strength of plug tobacco that you could point me in the direction of, it might be a compromise for now.
    Whether he'll smoke it or not, is debatable, but it is worth a try!

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

From a health point of view, I don't think there's such a thing as a "lighter" tobacco. It all has the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

BeerNut wrote: »
    From a health point of view, I don't think there's such a thing as a "lighter" tobacco. It all has the same effect.

Pretty sure there are healthier options.... For a pipe however this would be difficult. I know there are contraptions out there for cigarettes that make it healthier and then the obvious ecigs but for a pipe I don't know of any contraption or device.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

OP is looking for a tobacco, though, not a device.

Also tobacco contraptions for tobacco... But your right the op is looking for something pipe related.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Thanks for the feed back folks. Yeah, it'll be a difficult one all right. If he smoked cigarettes, I could look into ones that might be easier on him or whatever, but there is no getting him away from the pipe and plug tobacco.
    My quest for a 'lighter' tobacco, if such a thing exists, continues...!

• Advertisement

Something similar to this is what I was thinking. https://www.smokeinstyle.com/e-pipes/ it will take some getting used to of course but if he is willing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Most pipe smokers don't inhale the smoke, so I doubt if a change of tobacco would make much difference to him - unless he is one of a small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

You might try a new pipe that takes a replaceable filter which will trap the harmful tar. You can get them in Petersons and Fox's shops in Dublin. The filter obviously changes the smoking experience somewhat but not too dramatically.
    https://peterson.ie/collections/dublin-filter
    The 9 mm filter is replaced every one or two smokes and aren't very expensive. Fox's do a big generic bag which is better value than Petersons own brand.
    http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=219_225&zenid=7b8d1849d22cfa3de5ab89cd9151b4fa

Advertisement