Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Wonder how long it takes to do all his body and face paint before each match/show.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Wonder how long it takes to do all his body and face paint before each match/show.

He mentioned that in the podcast. If I remember right he said about 3-4 hours.

I thought it was a very entertaining podcast. I was surprised to learn he and Neville go back all the way to 2001.

One thing that comes across is that he seems like he's in a real good place mentally. I hope he stays that way and WWE's insanity doesn't mess with his head too much when he's called up.

PS Jericho needs to do some more research before podcasts the way Stone Cold does.

"Were you in the Bullet Club?"

:rolleyes:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

It was also embarrassing that Finn told him about his favourite match v Gedo for a few mins, then Jericho asks him again at end of show. Stop focusing on getting yourself over Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I guess Chris Jericho probably has a lot more going on than Steve Austin does. It seems to be a good outlet for the wrestlers to put themselves out there as personalities outside of WWE.

• Advertisement

From Unstoppable obviously:
    004_FINN_05202015jg_0039-4156939966.jpg
    006_FINN_05202015jg_0030-2689183642.jpg
    007_FINN_05202015jg_0001-3947603983.jpg
    009_FINN_05202015jg_0053-3011527142.jpg

Lose the wings Finn, perilously close to jumping the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Lose the wings Finn, perilously close to jumping the shark.

In fairness, as well as being an incredible wrestler, half the reason he's so over is because of the entrance, whether we'd like to admit it or not. Those Americans go crazy for it, so if anything, I'd up the production of it a bit more even. Also, we don't have to worry too much about jumping the shark just yet as the novelty entrance is used only for special occasions.

When he makes it to the main roster, he needs to debut sans-paint, and work post PPVs the same way. It's only when he gets to a point where he's in a top feud at the right time, should he bring the paint out. I wouldn't want it wasted on an IC Title match or anything like that. Ideally, he would debut the "demon" at Wrestlemania next year against Bray Wyatt, but that's just fantasy booking.

My worry also is that you assume he will win if he wears the paint, taking some of the drama out of it, and also that if he loses with the paint it'd completely normalize it.

A conundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,327 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Nerdist did a story on Finn.

NXT superstar Finn Balor harnesses the power of cosplay to rule the squared circle

https://nerdist.com/nxt-superstar-finn-balor-harnesses-the-power-of-cosplay-to-rule-the-squared-circle/

• Advertisement

When did dressing up become cosplay? I missed that meeting.

One of my least favourite words as it sounds so creepy/pervy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

If true then surely all wrestlers that had painted faces were the original "cosplayers" and any wrestler to ever wear leather is obviously a huge 50 shades fan. And Los Conquistidors were obviously behind the gimp mask/bodysuit fetishes.

Its face/body paint for performance purposes! Thats the explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Don't see the confusion, did anyone look at the link rather than just read the title?

The article was clearly written about all the times he's had his paint done up as various Spiderman symbiotes and come to the ring dressed as Joker, Bane, Hannibal, Freddy, etc which is exactly what the term "cosplay" implies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Initially I was hoping for Finn to ditch the paint/dressing up but I have 180'd on it now. The way he is presented with the Demon it could get him over and make him out fast.

The added costume pieces for his entrance could be important down the line. The full on paint won't work all the time so it could be a good compromise for house shows etc. Its also important for Merchandise. At 33 he needs to get in, with a bang and make a name out if him. He could make them some money fast.

I wonder if he can find some paint designs that he could use on RAW every week. Something that brings some impact and helps his demon/enigmatic character but without needing as much detail.

Also when the heel run comes he can ditch it all and convert to the real shooter to piss people off.

Going by what we know about Vince though, is he really going to want him without the paint?

Talked to loads of people last week about NXT but no one mentioned that cameras were following Balor around. WWE somewhat quietly filmed a Finn Balor WWE Network special. I know they interviewed Becky Lynch for it. The Special likely explains the super high production values for Balor and Breeze's entrance and the awkward dive spot that he was more concerned about hitting than being counted out that the internet hated. I guess the dive was primarily done for a cool stunt for the documentary film.

I'm not trying to be smart with you rovert, but who hated the dive spot? The internet is a bit vague. I don't know what the overall consensus here is but I thought it was a decent spot. Anyway, pretty cool if there's a documentary upcoming about him. I guess it's just further proof that they seem to hold him in pretty high regard already. He'll do well on Raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I'm not trying to be smart with you rovert, but who hated the dive spot? The internet is a bit vague. I don't know what the overall consensus here is but I thought it was a decent spot. Anyway, pretty cool if there's a documentary upcoming about him. I guess it's just further proof that they seem to hold him in pretty high regard already. He'll do well on Raw.

I listened to a couple of reaction shows and everyone seemed to hate that spot. To be fair it was a nothing spot and will probably just be slowed down and used as a nice little bit of production in his network special

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I wasn't rushing to boards to complain but it definitely irked me that the countout rule was clearly thrown out the window for that segment, even the live crowd highlighted it with a "you're not counting" chant.

I think most would agree stuff like that takes away from a match.

LeeJM wrote: »
    I listened to a couple of reaction shows and everyone seemed to hate that spot. To be fair it was a nothing spot and will probably just be slowed down and used as a nice little bit of production in his network special
    Fair enough. Anyway, it didn't really bother me and I was enjoying the match so much that a little oversight from the referee didn't really faze me. I just remember in the Attitude Era (whatever the hell that was) the referees used to regularly do this kind of thing, when Steve Austin was brawling up the ramp etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

As JR used to always say the referee is being very lenient with the rules and he's within his right to let it go.

Or simply put there's no consistency with rules for WWE/NXT. Some things cause dq finishes where other times the same manuiveur is purely used for a spot in a match.

Loughc wrote: »
    As JR used to always say the referee is being very lenient with the rules and he's within his right to let it go.

Austin matches were Pay Per View title matches more often than not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Can't believe there's a debate about a scripted show where things are made up on the fly.

I mean for christ sake: Rollins inserted himself into the Mania match at the drop of a hat, Vince McMahon won a Royal Rumble and is a former WWE and ECW Champion, Curtis Axel was never eliminated, Mick Foley never said "I Quit", Jericho should still be WWF Champion after Hebner's fast count, Triple H pinned Jericho on top of the bloody cell instead of inside it. Who lifted the briefcase in the winner takes all Austin Vs McMahons?!

We'll take these unsolved mysteries to the grave I tells ya.

Can't believe there's a debate about a scripted show where things are made up on the fly.

I mean for christ sake: Rollins inserted himself into the Mania match at the drop of a hat, Vince McMahon won a Royal Rumble and is a former WWE and ECW Champion, Curtis Axel was never eliminated, Mick Foley never said "I Quit", Jericho should still be WWF Champion after Hebner's fast count, Triple H pinned Jericho on top of the bloody cell instead of inside it. Who lifted the briefcase in the winner takes all Austin Vs McMahons?!

We'll take these unsolved mysteries to the grave I tells ya.

"Why have referees then?"

There's a big difference between Creative licence and Vince Russo nonsensical territory though.

rovert wrote: »
    "Why have referees then?"

There's a big difference between Creative licence and Vince Russo nonsensical territory though.

Why have title belts? Why have matches in the first place.

Can't pick holes in everything. Sit back and enjoy the show. No different to there being a fire in Coronation Street every Christmas.

Why have title belts? Why have matches in the first place.

Can't pick holes in everything. Sit back and enjoy the show. No different to there being a fire in Coronation Street every Christmas.

This isn't picking holes though.

rovert wrote: »
    This isn't picking holes though.

Referee's discretion. Like booking a fella for diving :) .

Exactly. Not all of the referees handle matches the same way, that's been clear for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is all Wyatt's rambling on about Demons possibly leading to Finn coming up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is all Wyatt's rambling on about Demons possibly leading to Finn coming up ?

If it is, they'd want to save it for Mania. A matchup that good should not be wasted. Think of the entrances!

Advertisement