Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs n Socs

Options
  • 22-10-2001 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Clubs and societies, first a word to first years, JOIN THEM!!, excellent for meeting ppl and the free drink....

What ones are you in??

Myself..

Regulars, i.e. attend most meetings/outings

Math Soc (on the commitee, have no choice)

Mountaineering Club (excellent climbing wall in the new gym :D )

WARPS (Wargaming and Role Play Soc in UCC)

Sci Fi Soc. (cheaper than the cinema)

Film Soc. (as above)

Occasionals, i.e. when I'm bored/free I go to..

Physics Soc. (arch enemies of the math soc...)

Philsoph Soc. (Cool debates and such)

Photography Soc.

And somehow I fit in some college in there :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

uh huh, i'm a first year and organising (previously trying to organisein) but it kinda commin together now, karting society that is. shamless plug! ---> PLUG - Karting Site anyway, if any other colleges are doing karting, and would like to do and intervastity thingy majgiggy send me an e-mail, i'm sure i'll be in contact with a few over the year any way. (i'm in tallaght IT by the way)

Gideon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ri0T^GiRL

does anyone know if UCD have a go carting soc..i would LOVE to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ehraz

u could try adventure soc. they do go karting, paintball...stuff like that. they have a meeting on tuesdays (i think. not too sure) somewhere in the arts building. it probably says where on their notice board (dont know where that is either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Riot Girl: I think UCD used to have one, but some other societies organize them throughout the year. Best way to find out what societies there are in the college is by going to the Forum [in the Student Centre] and asking the receptionist. Alternatively, there's an F1-soc. They probably organise karting. I dunno, they're all tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

[Alternatively, there's an F1-soc. They probably organise karting. I dunno, they're all tossers

especially because the current president of the student's union used to be auditor.........eeeeeugh!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah - sap. He's never going to get his bins back though. Hehehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah - sap. He's never going to get his bins back though. Hehehehe.

lol, Bring back Eamonn O Lionnain!!!! amoi, does the UCD tribune have a web site, 'cos I'm lookig for the list of 'demands' that the bin-stealers have for safe return of the bins, it was sh1t funny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

oh that bin-stealing thing was HILARIOUS!!

it's heartening to know that there are still some real students out there in UCD-land who just want to be students.......drink too much, smoke hash, shag, occasionally go to a lecture, go to the bar far more often, spout opinionated b0ll0x to their friends while
    pissed, and just generall try to hang in there until they get their degree, and try to have some fun along the way!!

i'm sick to death of these union and society types who assume they're infinitely superior to everyone else just because they lick fungus hourihane's arse occasionally, and hang out in the forum. when will these w@nkers realise that there are FAR more of us than there are of them!!

i think there should be an alternative student's union, and overthrow the corrupt, cv-padding bullsh1t of the present one!
    who's with me!!!!!!!

oh fuck it, let's just go to the pub instead!!

oh, and by the way, one of the demands was that all the union officers be fired with immediate effect and placed in the restaurant kitchens, serving gross food to the REAL students!! wouldn't that be just like a fairytale!!!???? it would definitely take those b@stards down a peg or two!!!!! heh heh!!!!

REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FREAK POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 unsane

the socs in my college are full of saps. i'm in TCD.

i havent attaended anything to do with any of them in years, mostly because they are all gangs of self centered ponces.

the worst of the societys is the SFSOC, they dont even show good films any more. and all they do is rabbit on about crap they used to have.

people like that make me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, about TCD's socs, me and the girlfriend(TCD student) were walking through UCD the other day, she sees a Filmsoc ad poster, and says, 'Your film soc shows films? What else does it do?', leading to a revelation that TCD's 'film soc' is about filming, and in order to be 'allowed' join, you have to present a portfolio a be accepted!!!! ROFL!

I mean, if you wanted to discuss and work on that kind of thing in college(nothing wrong with it at all), you'd go to Ballyfermot or Dun Laoghaire or some other equally great media college. I had always thought societies in college were about doing something when you aren't drinking, not about doign xtra work, and certainly not having to pass a test in order to get in!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 unsane

Originally posted by seamus
    leading to a revelation that TCD's 'film soc' is about filming, and in order to be 'allowed' join, you have to present a portfolio a be accepted!!!!

nah brah, you dont need a portfolio for the film soc in tcd, but they do smoke a lot of dick.

Yeah, those union hacks are going to get a lot more from those C.U.N.T.S (acronym, not a bad word). Fungus thinks the Tribune stole the bins but I can assure you that accusation erroneous. The union is up its own hole this year (apart from Houly). They're never going to get those bins back.

Their demands were pretty much stated in the Tribune article (and I'd love to see them carried out), but are they really going to miss those bins? Maybe but that's not enough! There's more in store, I can feel it.

seamus:
    In fact, Eamonn Ó Lionnáin hasn't gone away, if you ring Fungus' office number, who's on his answerphone message? Eamonn! He still actually thinks he's SU president! Poor, poor man. And he's so conscious of his image (God wonders why) that in his Observer photos, he demanded to have his hair airbrushed in!

No, the Tribune doesn't have a website but I'm working on it :) But sure, all you need really is www.evilgerald.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Originally posted by seamus
    I had always thought societies in college were about doing something when you aren't drinking, not about doign xtra work, and certainly not having to pass a test in order to get in!! :)

I'd disagree, it depends on what the soc is about.For example, in the math soc we do hold lectures, but then again we head straight to the bar afterwards...

That said tho, we like to see ppl who are not studying maths take an interest. I can't believe you need to present a portfolio to get in to that soc. 10 to 1, if you knew one of the commititee v well you'd be accepted with nothing needed.

Advertisement