Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying vehicle from Copart Northern Ireland - no V5

Options
  • 05-07-2020 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi guys, as the post says I have found a vehicle with some damage on Copart for sale but in the add under V5 it states none. Now I see a lot of vehicles for sale advertising no V5 so I'm wondering if I do buy it how do I go about getting the V5? Or even can I.
    I'm aware there are loads of posts on no V5 but some are 12 years old and I'm looking for current advise please.
    I really want this vehicle please tell me it is possible..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will not be able to register the car on Irish plates without the car's V5c. The VRT centre used to accept a Permanent Certificate of Export as an alternative but the DVLA don't issue them anyway so the only registration document the VRT centre will accept is the V5c.

Either get the seller to request a replacement V5c from the DVLA or forget about it. It will be a world of pain without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanvtec

Thanks for the reply Bazz, ya don't know if Copart would go to all that trouble to get a V5 for me, the fact it says V5 none, means that's it take it or leave it kinda job I'd say. But I'll drop them an email and see what they say.
    Thanks again.

Sounds like it maybe a stolen recovered or repo car. No matter how cheap it is you will have the same brick wall here when you go to try and VRT it.

Just move on to something else is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Be prepared to wait a long time for the V5, if they do apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L-M wrote: »
    Be prepared to wait a long time for the V5, if they do apply for it.

If Copart was the reg’d keeper then they’d have it in a few days. If they are not and the finance co has not replaced the V5 then I’d agree with you that it will be a head wrecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Plenty of advice on gov.uk. it looks straight forward to apply for replacement, however I've only bought with v5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

Its straight forward if your a UK resident, DVLA won’t post a new or replacement V5 to Ireland

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll have to keep ye posted on the outcome. Cheers

Hey guys just a bit of an update, I purchased the vehicle. I can tell now, its a 1994 Fiat ducato globetrotter camper Van (I was afraid someone might bid for it before it was sold).

Now I'm in the process of getting the V5c, like what User1998 has said you can apply for a replacement one if you live in the UK, so that's exactly what I'm going to do.
    The form is called a V62 available on Gov.co.uk
    Appreciate all the help, you will probably see me posting on the camper forums loads of newbie questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pancyk

For anyone stuck for V5 docket, and dont have anyone with UK address.
    You can reach out to EMK Transport :

Phone - 0872809481 - 9.30am -6pm
    Email - 9.30am - 6pm
    BEFORE 9.30AM & AFTER 6PM
    Text - 0872809481

the ad says:

EMK TRANSPORT - CAN APPLY NOW FOR CUSTOMERS V5 DOCUMENTS THAT ARE STRUGGLING TO GET THEM POSTED TO THE SOUTH OF IRELAND - THIS CAN BE COMPLETED FOR A FEE OF €150PER V5 APPLICATION.
    CONTACT EMK REGARDING THIS.

found on :

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...k-ire/21500147

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

So do you have the V5 ?

€150, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

bazz26 wrote: »
    €150, lol.

Had to re-read it...thought it was €15 first

Had to re-read it...thought it was €15 first

If you can do it for 15eur, i will stick with you :)

It's about 30euro fee for the V5, so to pay 120 and have V5 sorted, is better that being stuck with a few grand car that cant be registered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

pancyk wrote: »

It's about 30euro fee for the V5, so to pay 120 and have V5 sorted, is better that being stuck with a few grand car that cant be registered?

120 for the use of someone’s address?!

Or just don't buy a car without getting the V5c into your hand. Avoid a lot of hassle as well as saving yourself paying vultures €150 when your desperate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

Could you not have used a Parcel Motel UK/NI address or the Addresspal UK address?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Could you not have used a Parcel Motel UK/NI address or the Addresspal UK address?

no, they won't register the car at an address like that, for obvious reasons.

120 for the use of someone’s address?!

yes 120eur !, i wouldn't give my address for 2000euro for registering a car, for someone that i dont know !

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

How do they handle a situation where the V5 has been sent back and the car marked as exported? You can't just apply for another V5 then, it involves re importing the car to the UK to get a V5. Catch it before the V5 is sent back and its grand but if it gets to the DVLA its a world of pain.

• Advertisement

mk7r wrote: »
    How do they handle a situation where the V5 has been sent back and the car marked as exported? You can't just apply for another V5 then, it involves re importing the car to the UK to get a V5. Catch it before the V5 is sent back and its grand but if it gets to the DVLA its a world of pain.

if that's the case, they will refund 100euro

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

if that's the case, they will refund 100euro

Thats not a terrible service they provide then, I don't think the price is outrageous. Perhaps they can develop a service to help when the car IS marked as exported as i'd imagine in most cases it will be, there was one company I believe working on such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jaysus I didn’t think €150 was bad. You’d get charged a lot more for a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

bazz26 wrote: »
    Or just don't buy a car without getting the V5c into your hand. Avoid a lot of hassle as well as saving yourself paying vultures €150 when your desperate.

€150 is very reasonable to enable the vehicle to be registered vs scrap value.

Even if you asked a UK resident Irish friend you’d surely drop him £100 or more to bring the missus out to dinner for the use of their address to get a legit V5

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Damo5521

Alanvtec wrote: »
    Hey guys just a bit of an update, I purchased the vehicle. I can tell now, its a 1994 Fiat ducato globetrotter camper Van (I was afraid someone might bid for it before it was sold).

Now I'm in the process of getting the V5c, like what User1998 has said you can apply for a replacement one if you live in the UK, so that's exactly what I'm going to do.
    The form is called a V62 available on Gov.co.uk
    Appreciate all the help, you will probably see me posting on the camper forums loads of newbie questions.

How you get on with this, interested to find out as i was told the same about needing a friend/relative in uk and then get them to send export slip to make the vehicle registered out of the country, the i just vrt in ireland

Damo5521 wrote: »
    How you get on with this, interested to find out as i was told the same about needing a friend/relative in uk and then get them to send export slip to make the vehicle registered out of the country, the i just vrt in ireland

you have it wrong. It's when an export slip is sent (and the V5C marked "exported") that the real problems occur.

You need to get the first parts of the V5C in your hand and you can't re-register without it.

Isambard wrote: »
    you have it wrong. It's when an export slip is sent (and the V5C marked "exported") that the real problems occur.

You need to get the first parts of the V5C in your hand and you can't re-register without it.

Thanks for the info, i was told by dvla that in order to get the v5c the dvla have to have an address in the uk to send it out to, (as they wont send direct to Ireland) Then that person (in uk) exports it out of uk using slip, then i have the rest of v5c in hand to re register in Ireland.

Confused or what 🀦*♂️

Damo5521 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, i was told by dvla that in order to get the v5c the dvla have to have an address in the uk to send it out to, (as they wont send direct to Ireland) Then that person (in uk) exports it out of uk using slip, then i have the rest of v5c in hand to re register in Ireland.

Confused or what ��*♂️

that's slightly different, It matters not a bit to you what is done with the export slip in this case, if you can get a V5C sent to someone in the Uk in their address, they can just send it to you and you're golden. If it's marked export already though you have a problem. There's a DVLA procedure to send a V5C out in this circumstance

Isambard wrote: »
    that's slightly different, It matters not a bit to you what is done with the export slip in this case, if you can get a V5C sent to someone in the Uk in their address, they can just send it to you and you're golden. If it's marked export already though you have a problem. There's a DVLA procedure to send a V5C out in this circumstance

Cheers for the help,
    I wonder would there be any issue with having a v5c in someone else’s name and you paying for it.
    Would it cause any hassel for them wondering where funds came from etc.??

• Advertisement

i don't think that matters. The DVLA state the seller should hand you the V5C, so normally it would be in someone else's name.

Advertisement