Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why not? They are using the same infrastructure so shouldn't they help pay for it? We pay to use the bus.

I'd be more inclined to change the rules that where a cyclist or pedestrian does something dangerous that unlimited liability will fall on them personally - rather than the car drivers insurance shouldering the cost all the time. So stumble out drunkenly onto a road and get struck? Yeah the pedestrian should pay at least part for the replacement bumper, where their negligence was a partial cause of the accident.

Can you point to any actual examples of cases where motorists insurance paid for people stumbling drunkenly out on the road please?

And you know drivers are required by law to drive in a manner that allows you stop within the distance you can see to be clear?

If it was such a cartel and so profitable, why are insurance providers leaving Ireland?

Maybe it's because of €25k payouts each for imaginary whiplash for the mother, father and baby when they're involved in an incident which scratches the paint of their car.

The Irish people and the legal system are to blame.

The insurance companies pay out these without question and pass on the expense to the person being claimed from.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

He's been less than 24 hours in the job, so perhaps you might like to direct your blame for the current situation elsewhere?

I'm not really worried about the current situation its the future situation. Theres been no real alternatives proposed by him for basically pricing rural dwellers out of being able to run a car except sharing 1 between 30 people!

micosoft wrote: »
    His focus is on public transport not cars.

If people must have cars then electric cars are far cleaner than ICE cars. They certainly don't have "huge" environmental cost vs ICE. Batteries are easily recyclable and are recycled.

Electric cars use regenerative breaking so use considerably less brake pad wear. Most electric cars use low resistance tyres minimising wear.

Are you suggesting subsidising e-bikes at the same rate as cars is not insane? People can have both a car and a e-bike (and a regular bicycle) as they have, you know what, completely different use cases and price points.

Tax breaks are tax breaks and this is the way they all work. The higher rate starts at a very low €35,300. But sure make a case it should be a fixed grant (and you need to propose a way to stop that being abused given you've not really thought through any of your other policy suggestions).

His focus is on sustainable modes of travel. https://www.greenparty.ie/green-party-launches-transport-policy/

When you create a post where literally every sentence is wrong or deeply misleading yet finding out the honest answers is easy... I have to wonder... why do you seem to need to "invent" things to critique Eamonn Ryan. plenty of reasonable things to critique both him and the green party.

I'm suggesting that subsidising cars for middle and upper class families makes no sense.

https://www.westernjournal.com/study-driving-electric-cars-can-dirtier-using-diesel-engines/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Lundstram wrote: »
    Good one. :D

Okay so force them to pay tax so we can improve the infrastruture.

Thats a good idea.

Tax bikes for using Roads.
    Out of interest would bikes pay them same rate of Tax then as prams?
    And Skateboards?
    And maybe we can tax people out walking as well.
    And if their kids have those shoes with the wheels in them we can tax them as well.

Then the best part is because as a cyclist paying tax for using the roads I can go cycling up the Motorway, and through tool booths and in the port tunnel.

You should be in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,837 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So what about them wolf powered cars?

Moragle wrote: »
    I'm not really worried about the current situation its the future situation. Theres been no real alternatives proposed by him for basically pricing rural dwellers out of being able to run a car except sharing 1 between 30 people!

So why did you bang on about people not being able to get to work now if you're not worried about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Thats a good idea.

Tax bikes for using Roads.
    Out of interest would bikes pay them same rate of Tax then as prams?
    And Skateboards?
    And maybe we can tax people out walking as well.
    And if their kids have those shoes with the wheels in them we can tax them as well.

Then the best part is because as a cyclist paying tax for using the roads I can go cycling up the Motorway, and through tool booths and in the port tunnel.

You should be in politics.
    That list of things don't use public roads, disrupt traffic or cause accidents.

Next time, engage your brain before replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

TrailerBob wrote: »
    The most laughable comment on the whole thread. On your logic I'm banned from towns and from going to work so.. I drive a landcruiser for genuine reasons, and there's nobody else to go to work with me from here, so I may just stay at home.. or I'll try tow the big Ifor Williams out of a wet field with a Nissan Leaf..

Diesels should be banned from built up areas ergo no SUVs; no problem with a land cruiser out the country but it doesn’t have a role in towns and cities; if the height of our ambition is a >2t vehicles to allow a single person of 80-90kg to commute, we really haven’t evolved much

So, in the case someone needs an SUV, the solution to one car is two cars? Splendid logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If he wants to make waves as Minister for transport, he should use, whatever influence his party has to insentivive working from home, if people had to commute 2 / 3 days a week instead of 5, it would take a lot of pressure off all transport modes

So, in the case someone needs an SUV, the solution to one car is two cars? Splendid logic.

City dwellers do not need SUVs

If he wants to make waves as Minister for transport, he should use, whatever influence his party has to insentivive working from home, if people had to commute 2 / 3 days a week instead of 5, it would take a lot of pressure off all transport modes

People need to be very careful before laziness sets in too much in that respect. A lot of companies will realise that some lad in Delhi can also sit at home and do the job for a tiny fraction of the cost if it becomes too much the norm.
    You might end up with less people on the road but you’ll also have a wasteland with no economy.

Jizique wrote: »

So you want to ban anyone who doesn’t live in a city from the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

same old same old total focus on "getting" car owners driven by jealousy and spite with no other idea or agenda. Making things **** for everyone does not make it better for anyone

Truthvader wrote: »
    same old same old total focus on "getting" car owners driven by jealousy and spite with no other idea or agenda. Making things **** for everyone does not make it better for anyone

Not everyone owns a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Diesels should be banned from built up areas ergo no SUVs; no problem with a land cruiser out the country but it doesn’t have a role in towns and cities; if the height of our ambition is a >2t vehicles to allow a single person of 80-90kg to commute, we really haven’t evolved much

But the point is that the rural dweller takes a higher hit when the diesel costs and carbon tax goes up.. and no we can't all move into the town (as has been suggested before). I know I'm not unusual in having a 60km commute and nobody to share lifts with, or zeor public transport option

That list of things don't use public roads, disrupt traffic or cause accidents.

Next time, engage your brain before replying.

What tax would you suggest for those freeloading pedestrians who use footpaths, cause collisions by walking out without looking, and use public roads frequently when crossing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Stop talking rubbish. 90% of those SUV's are 2 litre diesel or less. Ban them and you can ban the same engine in cars. Like it or not people need cars to get to work and this will remain the case until we have decent public transport.
    Morning train from Maynooth to city centre takes about an hour, how is this acceptable in 2020, I'd nearly cycle it quicker.

Ps who caused the place to be flooded with diesels again??

Truthvader wrote: »

Nothing to do with jealousy; inappropriate and over engineered product that take up too much space and are more dangerous for pedestrians and other road users; the companies love selling them as they make really high margins but 95% of them are diesels which should not be in built up areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If it was such a cartel and so profitable, why are insurance providers leaving Ireland?

Maybe it's because of €25k payouts each for imaginary whiplash for the mother, father and baby when they're involved in an incident which scratches the paint of their car.

The Irish people and the legal system are to blame.

According to Central Bank figures and data from the insurance industry the cost to the individual for fraudulent or suspicious claims is 50 euro on top of each motor insurance premium annually. The average annual motor premium is 600-odd euro. You do the maths.

There's something else going on here other than the fantasy army of whiplash fraudsters that the industry want you to think are up every tree and in every ditch.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/exaggerated-statements-by-insurers-on-fraud-not-helpful-says-faughnan-1.3951203

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

We don't need 98% of the things we have. Cars are a fact of modern life and I pay enough to use them that I fully intend to drive whatever the hell I want.

Why should you or anyone else get to ban me from the functionality of my own car? Even if there were actual public transport alternatives to my car I've zero interest in starting my day off dealing with people on a bus/train/whatever. So long as I continue to pay this countries extortionate charges for doing so I can't see how your argument has a left to stand on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,837 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not everyone owns a car.

Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Nothing to do with jealousy; inappropriate and over engineered product that take up too much space and are more dangerous for pedestrians and other road users; the companies love selling them as they make really high margins but 95% of them are diesels which should not be in built up areas

On the phone so can't multi quote. You do realise roads are built for the car not the pedestrian or cyclist right?

And Mr Ryan had a strong hand in ensuring 95% of vehicles in this country are diesel because he was messing about in an industry he has zero understanding of. A cock up I'm sure he's soon to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

And you know drivers are required by law to drive in a manner that allows you stop within the distance you can see to be clear?

You know well that's completely impractical and ridiculous. Let's follow that logic to conclusion and blame the train driver when someone walks on the tracks.

If you were driving at 20km/h through almost any town in Ireland, I could stand on the footpath and run out in front of you before you could react. By your measure, that would be your fault.

In any environment, there is an expectation of personal responsibly and of reasonable behaviour from both sides, so I don't understand your determination to shift blame to the motorist at every opportunity.

That attitude actually does nothing for road safety, and fosters an "us and them" mentality on both sides.

What annoys motorist about cyclists, is not that the cyclists might do them harm, but that all too often, the cyclists puts their life solely in the hands of the motorist. Whether naïvely sitting in a blindspot, to no lights at night, it's not a responsibility any driver wants, and not one that I hand over to any driver when I'm cycling.

I agree with you 100% on the subsidisation of electrical cars, absolutely bananas logic, and we'll be back in the same mess in 15 years time with scrapyards piled high with lithium (which was dug from the ground by children in thirld world countries) and still no proper mass transit in this country.

As you say, replacing a car with a different type of car is not environmentally friendly whatsoever. If I could take the train to work, I'd do far less milage and actually have the car I really want, because I wouldn't have to base my car choice on fuel cost among other things.

Tax incentives on bikes need to be increased heavily, €500 or so doesn't go far any more when buying a bike and proper gear which you intend to commute on every day. Increase to €3k, purchased by the employer as in the UK, but available to the lower tax bracket too, and watch half of Dublin leave their cars at home and buy an eBike. Then you have serious justification for building far better cycle lanes.

Let's wait and see what he implements in the end, although I just can't see the Greens have the political capital or imagination to achieve much beyond a few piecemeal tax hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

People need to be very careful before laziness sets in too much in that respect. A lot of companies will realise that some lad in Delhi can also sit at home and do the job for a tiny fraction of the cost if it becomes too much the norm.
    You might end up with less people on the road but you’ll also have a wasteland with no economy.

They can already do that. There's nothing magical about leading a building that stops a company leading a building in Delhi instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Tax cyclists. They use the road, cause traffic disruption and get the same benefits as cars.

€100 per year flat tax. Subject them to the same punishments as motorists if caught without.

At a time when the rest of Europe is cottoning on to the fact that catering for inefficient private motor traffic is expensive and catering for people to use bikes actually saves the state money, we still unfortunately have this "angry leprechaun" mindset going on here.

Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Handing Eamon Ryan the transport brief is like trying to get a dog to choose the colour pallet for a painting.

The man is fiercely anti car, militantly pro cyclist and his policies are all completely centred around funnelling the tax money of the average worker out of their pockets to serve those who can afford to live near public transport or love his cycling fetish.

This is all bad news for those either forced to commute by car because they cannot afford accommodation near public transport, or those who work rurally or depend on cars for their work.

Its very much an attack on the working and lower middle classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'm suggesting that subsidising cars for middle and upper class families makes no sense.

https://www.westernjournal.com/study-driving-electric-cars-can-dirtier-using-diesel-engines/

Have you had a look at the 'About' section of that website, or the headlines on other articles? If I scrolled far enough, there would have been a story about how Donald Trump had allowed people to say merry Christmas again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Duckjob wrote: »
    At a time when the rest of Europe is cottoning on to the fact that catering for inefficient private motor traffic is expensive and catering for people to use bikes actually saves the state money, we still unfortunately have this "angry leprechaun" mindset going on here.

Sad.
    I pay about €3000 per year to run my car. That is handsomely taxed.

Cyclists pay nothing.

Both use the same roads.

Cyclists, pay up or shut up moaning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement