Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-11-2013, 22:37   #1
marcel353
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 50
Advice needed on external 3G/4G antenna

Hi,
I am about to set up an external antenna to improve my 3G signal.
However with 4G at the corner, I may as well set up something reasonably future proof.
Would anybody be able to confirm which type of 3G/4G antenna is suitable for Ireland or even suggest a model?
I have seen different models on-line but there seems to be huge variations in prices and specs.
It will need to be sturdy and hard wearing as very exposed.

Thanks in advance,

M
marcel353 is offline  
Advertisement
25-11-2013, 22:49   #2
mcw92
Registered User
 
mcw92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,438
Send a message via MSN to mcw92
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel353 View Post
Hi,
I am about to set up an external antenna to improve my 3G signal.
However with 4G at the corner, I may as well set up something reasonably future proof.
Would anybody be able to confirm which type of 3G/4G antenna is suitable for Ireland or even suggest a model?
I have seen different models on-line but there seems to be huge variations in prices and specs.
It will need to be sturdy and hard wearing as very exposed.

Thanks in advance,

M
Id be interested in this too if you could let me know how you get on

coverage in my house is **** unless your at the windows/in the attic, even then the speed has dramatically dropped recently(from 1-3 MB to 0.5)
mcw92 is offline  
25-11-2013, 22:56   #3
gctest50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,255
One of these might work - haven't tried one

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...odel=TL-MR3020


have tried a raspberry pi with a 3g dongle stuck in it - worked fine

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi...ry+pi%E2%80%8E


You'd still have to get power to them though
gctest50 is offline  
03-01-2014, 18:29   #4
mcw92
Registered User
 
mcw92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,438
Send a message via MSN to mcw92
Anyone any ideas on this?
mcw92 is offline  
15-05-2014, 09:13   #5
LunaT
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcw92 View Post
Anyone any ideas on this?
Hi mcw92, you can take a look at "4G LTE External Antenna (TS9/SMA/CRC9)" from 4Ginthebox.com:
www(dot)4ginthebox(dot)com/4g-lte-antenna.html
Support Frequency:
F: 1880-1900MHZ
A: 2010-2025MHZ
E: 2320-2370MHZ
D: 2500-2690MHZ
LTE: 698~960MHz /1710~2690MHz
Gain: 28dBi
Length: 3M
Connector Type: TS9/SMA/CRC9 (one connector)

Hope this helps!
LunaT is offline  
Advertisement
02-09-2014, 20:08   #6
platinums
Registered User
 
platinums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaT View Post
Hi mcw92, you can take a look at "4G LTE External Antenna (TS9/SMA/CRC9)" from 4Ginthebox.com:
www(dot)4ginthebox(dot)com/4g-lte-antenna.html
Support Frequency:
F: 1880-1900MHZ
A: 2010-2025MHZ
E: 2320-2370MHZ
D: 2500-2690MHZ
LTE: 698~960MHz /1710~2690MHz
Gain: 28dBi
Length: 3M
Connector Type: TS9/SMA/CRC9 (one connector)

Hope this helps!
Dont buy from 4ginthebox whatever you do!
The quoted modem is on Amazon for £70. that website quotes it at over 230$
platinums is offline  
03-09-2014, 00:49   #7
MichaelR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 653
Here is a widespread model but I do not have personal experience of it yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-HUAW...rds=4g+antenna (not delivered to Ireland but there is always Parcel Motel)

same model, apparently, on dx.com - much cheaper but a long delivery:

http://www.dx.com/p/w-435-4g-35dbi-g...1#.VAZXKmO8E5c

Before your purchase, make sure you order an antenna with the kind of connector that your router/modem has! It is apparently TS9 for the widespread Huawei router but do double check!
MichaelR is offline  
03-09-2014, 14:24   #8
bodonnell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 519
[QUOTE=MichaelR;92033927]Here is a widespread model but I do not have personal experience of it yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-HUAW...rds=4g+antenna (not delivered to Ireland but there is always Parcel Motel)

same model, apparently, on dx.com - much cheaper but a long delivery:

http://www.dx.com/p/w-435-4g-35dbi-g...1#.VAZXKmO8E5c

Before your purchase, make sure you order an antenna with the kind of connector that your router/modem has! It is apparently TS9 for the widespread Huawei router but do double check![/QUOTE

Have used this type of antenna, does boost signal. No 4g signal without it, 3/5 bars with it.
bodonnell is online now  
03-09-2014, 15:33   #9
mcw92
Registered User
 
mcw92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,438
Send a message via MSN to mcw92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonnell View Post

Have used this type of antenna, does boost signal. No 4g signal without it, 3/5 bars with it.
Ok so does it work like so.
I plug one end into the router.
The other endinto this little box yoke.
Then Place the little box where ever I have best coverage yes?
mcw92 is offline  
Advertisement
03-09-2014, 17:13   #10
bodonnell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcw92 View Post
Ok so does it work like so.
I plug one end into the router.
The other endinto this little box yoke.
Then Place the little box where ever I have best coverage yes?
Both connectors plug into your device, place the antenna where you get strongest signal, simple as
bodonnell is online now  
19-09-2014, 13:00   #11
ranger4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonnell View Post
Both connectors plug into your device, place the antenna where you get strongest signal, simple as
Does both antenna cables plug into wireless router aerial inputs also could this antenna have 30 ft of low loss cable fitted to connect to router.
ranger4 is offline  
19-09-2014, 13:09   #12
bodonnell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4 View Post
Does both antenna cables plug into wireless router aerial inputs also could this antenna have 30 ft of low loss cable fitted to connect to router.
Yes both cables plug into mobile device, in my case Huawei E5372. Don't know about your low loss cable question.
bodonnell is online now  
28-07-2015, 09:43   #13
AHireland2k11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 173
[quote

Have used this type of antenna, does boost signal. No 4g signal without it, 3/5 bars with it.[/quote]

Where did you get antenna
AHireland2k11 is offline  
01-07-2016, 12:10   #14
AHireland2k11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 173
Anyone try the ones on ebay or similar?
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/35dBi-4G-LTE-...UAAOSw~1FUYbpV
AHireland2k11 is offline  
01-07-2016, 12:46   #15
bodonnell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 519
That's what I was using. No longer using 4g for broadband as fttc became available.
bodonnell is online now  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet