Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorists urged to be more aware of pedestrians

Options
  • 28-05-2020 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Video Highlights section on https://www.rte.ie/news/
    "Motorists urged to be more aware of pedestrians"

Why come down more on the motorist to be more vigilant? It's not like we can drive on the footpaths. Should the pedestrian not be more careful when near the road instead?

Should the emphasis not be on the pedestrian to be conscious of their actions , esp when they are the ones that could end up dead.

Pinning it to the motorist is somewhat unfair esp if someone feels they can just just walk out in front of them.
    (Of course Motorists have to be vigilant & careful)

Should there be better education for pedestrians in how to cross roads safely?
    (Common sense seems to be missing from some)

Use of zebra crossings seems to be optional for pedestrians - Would a spot fine work to encourage there use when near one instead of crossing 3 metres near one?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

You have to take account of impaired or young or elderley pedestrians.

In my view it is down to a driver to be in control in all circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

My 2c.

Town traffic in many towns is a fraction of what it was a few months ago. You will generally go through most towns now at slightly higher speeds (still within the limit) and won’t be stopping except for lights.

Pedestrian traffic is lower but we they are all acting like there is still slower traffic on the roads and crossing at the same points. There are fewer traffic jams now so those points are no longer safe. That is where the danger is.

People are stupid and regardless of who is in the right, a tonne of metal hitting a pedestrian at any speed will do damage. I don’t think the new campaign is relevant to any traffic outside of built up areas. You won’t/shouldn’t meet pedestrian traffic outside of those areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Bullish attitude of the OP. The general trend in design nowadays is that pedestrian and cyclist has priority and that vehicles should always yield.

I myself was waking along Patrick st in cork yesterday and a side street crosses over the pedestrian priority area on Patrick st. Bollox in a SUV beeps me - he was the motorist in the pedestrian area and he beeps me. I told him to calm down and f off.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Something...Something...2 tonne death machines..Something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

With social distancing you are going to see more people walking on the edge of the road instead of pavements. Its up to motorists to be vigilant and make accommodations for more vulnerable road users. Expect the unexpected and drive defensively and there is no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I don't see the video clip on RTE News but I do see this bit from the "ordinary" text story:
    Director of the Road Safety Authority Michael Rowland said more people have been out walking and jogging during the Covid-19 restrictions.

He urged both motorists and vulnerable road users to follow safety precautions this weekend.

So on the grounds that "vulnerable road users" has its usual meaning of pedestrians and cyclists, then what the headline really should say is something like "motorists, pedestrians and cyclists all urged to take more care on the roads". And there's surely nothing wrong with that advice. If everybody was more mindful of everybody else, there'd be far fewer collisions, injuries, and deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Damien360 wrote: »
    My 2c.

Town traffic in many towns is a fraction of what it was a few months ago. You will generally go through most towns now at slightly higher speeds (still within the limit) and won’t be stopping except for lights.

Pedestrian traffic is lower but we they are all acting like there is still slower traffic on the roads and crossing at the same points. There are fewer traffic jams now so those points are no longer safe. That is where the danger is.

People are stupid and regardless of who is in the right, a tonne of metal hitting a pedestrian at any speed will do damage. I don’t think the new campaign is relevant to any traffic outside of built up areas. You won’t/shouldn’t meet pedestrian traffic outside of those areas.

of course you will meet pedestrians in country areas. what are you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Yea, common sight to see cyclists 2&3 deep on the roads now because theres less traffic, would highly agree that messages should be directed to pedestrians & cyclists that they need to be more aware.

Isambard wrote: »
    of course you will meet pedestrians in country areas. what are you thinking of?

I missed that bit. Somebody really thinks there are no pedestrians in country areas???!!! :confused:

I'd actually take it that the advice to be more mindful of pedestrians applies more in country areas, not less. In towns & cities, pedestrians have footpaths, lights, zebra crossings, etc., to go at least some way toward keeping them safe. On a rural road, you'll have none of those. Alarming to think to that somebody believes you don't have to be mindful of pedestrians there because "outside of towns and cities, you won't see any pedestrian traffic anyway".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Bullish attitude of the OP.

My post was more for a discussion around motorist & pedestrian with the report pushing that the motorist needs to be more vigilant rather than the pedestrian.
    Didn't mean to come over as a bullish attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Motorists are the ones driving the machine that's going to cause injury, it's on them to be vigilant. It's a fairly fundamental part of driving.

When I'm driving, I fully accept that it's my responsibility not to kill a vulnerable road user with the piece of equipment I'm driving. It's my actions (using the accelerator) that is cause any fatality. A pedestrian isn't going to die by walking into my stationary car, they'll only die if I press the accelerator and drive into them. I'm not sure how that could even be up for debate.

I don't see the video clip on RTE News

On the RTE.ie/news website, scroll down to the video highlights section, its on the right hand side.

By the way, anybody else remember an ad that used to be on telly a few years ago, urging motorists to be more aware of motorcyclists?

It was the "he's a brother....a father....an uncle....etc." one. It ended up telling motorists to take more care because "almost half of all fatal accidents are the fault of the driver".

There was no corresponding advert for motorcyclists telling them to slow down because "more than half of fatal accidents are the motorcyclist's fault". Always found that odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

It would really help them a bit if they stopped jogging in cycle lanes or jumping off the paths when they meet other human beings. Whatever about motorists needing to be the ones paying attention but for **** sake have some personal responsibility for your own self preservation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

By the way, anybody else remember an ad that used to be on telly a few years ago, urging motorists to be more aware of motorcyclists?

It was the "he's a brother....a father....an uncle....etc." one. It ended up telling motorists to take more care because "almost half of all fatal accidents are the fault of the driver".

There was no corresponding advert for motorcyclists telling them to slow down because "more than half of fatal accidents are the motorcyclist's fault". Always found that odd.
    Speed limits don’t seem to apply to motorbikes but it’s easier to blame everyone else when they get themselves killed.

Amirani wrote: »
    Motorists are the ones driving the machine that's going to cause injury, it's on them to be vigilant. It's a fairly fundamental part of driving.

When I'm driving, I fully accept that it's my responsibility not to kill a vulnerable road user with the piece of equipment I'm driving. It's my actions (using the accelerator) that is cause any fatality. A pedestrian isn't going to die by walking into my stationary car, they'll only die if I press the accelerator and drive into them. I'm not sure how that could even be up for debate.

Of course it's not up for debate. But by the same token, it's the duty of a pedestrian not to put themselves in danger either, by not walking out in front of a passing vehicle, not crossing the road where it's dangerous to do so, not walking in dark clothes and without a light and/or reflective clothes on an unlit road at night, etc. I don't think you could debate that either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Blaze420 wrote: »
    It would really help them a bit if they stopped jogging in cycle lanes or jumping off the paths when they meet other human beings. Whatever about motorists needing to be the ones paying attention but for **** sake have some personal responsibility for your own self preservation

Have seen a few instances of late of joggers getting verbally abused for "passing too closely" on a footpath.

Our footpaths are by and large too small, many pedestrians don't have a lot of options and all road users need to be a bit more understanding and considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BronsonTB wrote: »
    ...Why come down more on the motorist to be more vigilant? ...
    The fact that you have to ask that question says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

What about pedestrians walking 3 wide on a narrow toad around a bend and you plodding along at 50mph? Do you not think that they should use some common sense in that case as any driver won't be able to see them never mind them taking up the whole road?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    What about pedestrians walking 3 wide on a narrow toad around a bend and you plodding along at 50mph? Do you not think that they should use some common sense in that case as any driver won't be able to see them never mind them taking up the whole road?
    Expect the unexpected. Do you drive so fast around a bend that you cannot stop if you have to?

• Advertisement

I seem to have got a mixed reaction to my post but thank you for the replies.
    It was intended as a discussion over how 'the rte report' coverage was done rather than to have a specific attack on me.
    But I accept all responses too (@Wishbone Ash)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My 2c

People at home suddenly for the first time in their lives decided to take up walking/gentle jogging when they’d never walked before. The last time some of these people walked was to school.
    What I find alarming is they need to/decide to cross the road, see you clearly coming towards them in your car and simply cannot make any kind of an accurate guess about wether it’s safe to cross or not.
    So instead of taking the safe option and waiting till I’m gone past they launch themselves of the pavement into my path while I struggle to slow down and they scowl at me as I bear down on them.
    Wonder it is why there’s not dozens dead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Expect the unexpected. Do you drive so fast around a bend that you cannot stop if you have to?
    on this whats alarming is the amount of people who dont know how to walk on country roads, walk towards the traffic. cross over at blind bends, walk single file. do the rsa not teach \ preach this any longer?

I think all such discussions will always attract a few people from the "four wheels bad, two wheels or no wheels good" brigade.

Again, I reckon the key point is that what the Director of the RSA actually said what that motorists AND vulnerable road users should follow safety precautions.

But the RTE headline is the easy one of "drivers urged to be mindful of pedestrians".

Saying "pedestrians urged to be mindful of drivers" or "cyclists urged to be mindful of drivers" would have been equally valid, but then there'd have been uproar from that brigade that I've already mentioned.

But the RTE headline is the easy one of "drivers urged to be mindful of pedestrians".

Thanks Uncle Pierre for the reply, it was how the headline was put that I was trying to discuss. You have a better way with words than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

That kind of sanctimonious black and white viewpoint is in fact of no help to vulnerable road users. By your measure, the lorrry driver is at fault here

By placing 100% of blame on the car driver, you're absolving the pedestrian of 100% blame - who in fact should be mindful of their own safety too.

If I walk home hammered drunk in the middle of an unlit, winding country road at night, wearing all black, and get hit, the vast majority of any blame for that is on me, not the driver.

Of course it's up to the driver to take every reasonable precaution, as they are more likely to be the cause of injury, but everyone using the road has to watch out for themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

So the pedestrians have no liability in that situation, good man.

I don't drive that fast either.

But by the same token, if I'm walking or running or cycling around a bend on one of the country roads where I live, I don't put myself out so far from the ditch that I'd be in the path of any oncoming motorist who doesn't expect me to be there. Instead, I stay well enough into my own side to stay safe as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes there was? The one where the biker goes around the corner too fast and dies. It was being shown for ages

https://youtu.be/_l8z6xoEf2Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

splinter65 wrote: »
    My 2c

People at home suddenly for the first time in their lives decided to take up walking/gentle jogging when they’d never walked before. The last time some of these people walked was to school.

Yes and why is it that people haven't walked since they were in school? Because they bought a car and have driven everywhere since. This is why a lot of drivers have grown up thinking that roads are for motorised vehicles only. Even in this thread we have a poster stating that people only walk in urban areas!

I'd go further and say their are a lot of people out there who were driven home from the maternity hospital, were driven to the crèche, were driven to school, were driven/drove or took public transport to college/work. It's theses people who don't expect to meet pedestrians on rural roads and who have no time for slower moving "traffic". The RSA and Gardai concentrate on educating drivers on looking out on vulnerable road users because the fact is majority of road fatalities are due to vehicles being driven at excess speed, being driven by distracted drivers, alcohol etc.

Yes some pedestrians/cyclists are muppets and do behave recklessly on our roads, but they are a nuisance to the rest of us, nothing more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement