Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords open?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So you can walk around inside?

yeah i was in one yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭AUDI20

Yes I was in the Waterford one yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

Yes (the one cork anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I tripped over this thread, but delighted to share.
    The young fella has refused to stop growing, so a new bike has to be sought. We went to Carrickmines (Big Smoke) Friday afternoon.

Two queues, motor and bikes. The motor moved (pun?) but the bike was a nightmare. Nothing to do with Halfords I'm keen to stress - just the fact you are buying a bike need a bit of browsing. On the flip the motoring is a specific purchase and will be more time efficient.

They are doing a click and collect - but, as far as I could see, they had to q as well. Note to Halfords: three queues, Bike, Motors and Click and collect - embrace e-commerce!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Yeh I couldn't believe Halfords didn't have a separate queue and area in the store for click and collect.

About two weeks ago I spent 20mins in a queue for click and collect in Tallaght, a small €8 tool for my kids bike was all I needed. There were only 5 people ahead so I thought it wouldn't be too long. By the time I got in there were 15people behind me. The chap at the door kept going down the queue to ask if anyone needed the motor section (downstairs) they could go straight in but most were for bikes (upstairs).

When I did get in to my surprise the bike section was EMPTY, I mean there was nothing, shelves nearly bare and I think I counted 7 bikes in total in the racks.

Even when I did get to the cashier it took him 5mins of back and forth to get what I had reserved and pay for. Terrible system. As I waited to pay the amount of people who came in behind me and just walked back out of the store when they saw there were no bikes.

Hopefully they've got there act together since cause I couldn't believe how badly it was all managed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yeah I popped into the Liffey Valley one last Friday. You'd think maintaining social distancing in a big store with maybe 2 customers would be easy. However when one of the staff decided to pass me in a narrow aisle with a loud exclamation of breath towards me as he passed I decided to take my money elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

Was pretty much the only shop to have a large queue outside it in airside swords yesterday.... few outside DID but long queue at halfords... camping gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was pretty much the only shop to have a large queue outside it in airside swords yesterday.... few outside DID but long queue at halfords... camping gear?

Bikes, most in the queue last weekend were looking for bikes. My local bike shop had queues down the street too.

I only wanted a litre of overpriced oil. couldn’t get it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Yeah I popped into the Liffey Valley one last Friday. You'd think maintaining social distancing in a big store with maybe 2 customers would be easy. However when one of the staff decided to pass me in a narrow aisle with a loud exclamation of breath towards me as he passed I decided to take my money elsewhere.

Open all over,but won't fit stereos etc for week's I've been told

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Open all over,but won't fit stereos etc for week's I've been told

Feck anyway, finally bought a car this week and always said first thing I'd do is get dash cams and a decent stereo i can plug the phone into

I don't know anywhere else close that does installation, always had Halfords in mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

Still some Halfords stores closed. The only store still closed in a small retail unit near me. I presume they're getting some sort of business Covid handout. And of course the staff will be all getting their €350 a week.

At this stage of the game I really think these should be open and not still feeding off the Covid payments.

ShedTower wrote: »
    Still some Halfords stores closed. The only store still closed in a small retail unit near me. I presume they're getting some sort of business Covid handout. And of course the staff will be all getting their €350 a week.

At this stage of the game I really think these should be open and not still feeding off the Covid payments.

It can be a big gamble, if they open and aren't making enough in sales they all could be out of a job.

But they should be able to open and still use the covid wage subsidy scheme.
    Maybe there's more going on in the background and they never plan on reopening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

pippip wrote: »
    It can be a big gamble, if they open and aren't making enough in sales they all could be out of a job.

But they should be able to open and still use the covid wage subsidy scheme.
    Maybe there's more going on in the background and they never plan on reopening.

We're reading of queues in other stores. If they can't make selling car parts, cycling and camping gear work this year then I doubt they'd have made it this far.

ShedTower wrote: »
    We're reading of queues in other stores. If they can't make selling car parts, cycling and camping gear work this year then I doubt they'd have made it this far.

Yeh but that's the illusion, queues at shops is the result of limiting numbers, it does not mean they are making money or that they are experiencing high volume of sales. I'm sure their registers are processing far fewer purchases per hour than before covid and people buying less in each purchase. I'd usually go to Halfords and have a look around and usually leave with more than I went in for, now I'm in grab what I came for and gone asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Closing 60 stores permanently in the UK. I'm not sure how insulated the Irish operation is from the UK one?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/13/halfords-to-close-60-sites-despite-rise-in-bike-sales-in-lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Don't think Castlebar one has reopened. Looked closed at the weekend.

Advertisement