Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locating eggs

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Suck on a used tampon. Same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They are usually on the eggs shelf in my supermarket. Never had a problem finding them to be honest.

He's cracked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Its just a year long easter egg hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why are some eggs small eggs?
    Do they have off days or do they come from young chickens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Hatless wrote: »
    Oh yeah, never thought of the whole changing temperature from cold to warmer, back to cold.
    Although - and I ask this purely out of curiosity and not to be smart, but wouldn't cooking the egg well sort out any nasty bugs? Chicken and fish and pork are cold-stored in retailers yet they'll be in the car/your shopping bag for a bit before they're brought home to the fridge/freezer.

Not actually sure. I think it's to do with the fact that cooking mainly kills bacteria on the exterior (where bacteria typically resides). With eggs, the shell is porous, and it's to do with, when the temperature increases, it becomes more porous, so bacteria on the outside is sucked into the inner egg. Thus, once a cold egg warms up, the egg is potentially "gone-off".

Similar to, regardless of how much you cook a piece of "gone-off" meat, it will still potentially give you food poisoning.

Maybe a food biologist could explain it better. I just know what I've been told and what I've read and that is:
    Cleaning the exterior of an egg also wipes away its protective layer, so it is more susceptible to future contamination (therefore, it should only be cleaned at time of consumption).
    Although refrigeration extends the life of an egg, any change in temperature afterwards greatly increases the risk salmonella.

The above is the EU guidelines/regulations (not sure if its law or just recommended/common practice) and since it's adoption 2 decades ago, the cases of salmonella poisoning has decreased dramatically (it's only a few percent of what it use to be), whereas the States still does the the whole "cleaning in the factory and refrigerate afterwards" and salmonella poisoning cases are much higher there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

kneemos wrote: »
    Why are some eggs small eggs?
    Do they have off days or do they come from young chickens?

Small eggs come from sick, injured or nutrient lacking chickens.

Eggs come from intense farming, 10+ chickens crammed into a 60cm cage, they can't move, open their wings or stretch their legs. Because of this eggs are much smaller than free range chickens who get a much better life, these chickens are often left for a year with broken legs, broken wings, no feathers, infection, disease, illness, etc all for people to buy cheap eggs.

Chicken farmers keep lights on 24/7, force feed grains and foods to make them lay as much as possible. Laying eggs takes a lot out of them. My own chickens, who are on 1 acre of land and spend their days scratching through dirt and grass, sun bathing under the sun and running around catching flies will lay every 1/2 days.

Intense farming chickens will have 2/3 eggs every day or so because they're forced to.

Advertisement