Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sindo hits a new low

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

fatknacker wrote: »
    Some people like to take a few holidays because they can.

OMG! Scumbags. Just leave everyone else to wallow in their filthy backyards with their 10 childers and nothing but a garden hose to play with.

You've got your own garden hose? The council leases us ours :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, she could find some genuine celebrities for a start, and re-calibrate her gush-meter.

Doubt it. The real celebriries probably give her a wide bearth, meaning all she has let are a few friends that accidentally picked up the phone without looking at caller ID.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Couldn't be great quality condoms with ten childer:D

It's as a result of all the holes put in them to make hoses! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In airports like Nice for example, you'll recognise every second person as Irish. You'll always bump in to someone you know at the carousel.

You'll have been on the same flight out of Ireland with them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Specialun wrote: »
    Would you not be embarassed if you were the journo..like seriously she went to college, i assume 4 or 5 years....then she ends up writing that crap....

Bills have to be paid. I'd imagine a lot of the 'journalists' that end up writing this stuff start out with dreams of making huge scoops involving political corruption and writing about serious global issues etc. But you've got to eat so you just start taking whatever paying job you can find. Write a few fluff articles and try to get them picked up by some celeb section of a paper somewhere to keep you ticking over. Then one day you wake up, look in the mirror, and that wide eyed budding journalist you remember graduating from university is gone, and Niamh Horan's integrity shy mug is staring back at you. Then you cry, cry for lost dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭vertmann

The selection of Irish Sunday newspapers is pïšš poor so the Sindo is a big fish in a small pond.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

highly1111 wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/south-dublins-jet-set-are-back-enjoying-the-sun-31352321.html

So checking the news online this morning (thanks kids for the lie in!!) and come across this peach. Front page of their website. Crux is people are now holidaying again and the southside jet set are back up to six holidays a year instead of the quiet 4 during the recessions. There's lots of quotes from socialites and the owner of a boutique (!) but not one named source - shocker.

I think its time to just block independent.ie from my phone because of course the clicks mean sales which makes more money Mr. O'Brien et al.

Another Niamh Horan beaut.

Absolute shocking ****e allright. The whole country of course must take its lead from South Dublin and the Queen of the Yummy Mummies Miriam O Callaghan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

vertmann wrote: »
    The selection of Irish Sunday newspapers is pïšš poor so the Sindo is a big fish in a small pond.

Hopefully we will have The Sunday Press back soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Dear jesus. I had to stop reading half way through. Not so much because of the content, but because the writing was atrocious. She repeated herself about twenty times, and the content as vapid and as boring as sin. She should go work for The Journal, the writing there is just as atrocious.

Regarding the content of the article, I'm saying nothing. Nothing needs to be said. I have very little doubt that absolutely everyone's thinking the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

They arent celebs at all. But are the best and most successful in Irish society that most would love to emulate.
    Others aspire to the lifestyle of those the article is describing and like to have a glimpse of how the elite really live, and so enjoy reading the article and dreaming of being like them. Its harmless escapism.

Yeah they are all successful entrepreneurs who um, did something or other that time. Rather than z list celebrities. The indo reads like a college rag.

Actually real successful entrepreneurs don't take 6 holidays a year. Steve jobs took one holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Ireland does have world famous celebs, musicians and actors mostly. The indo gives us a frog faced lawyer famous for being a frog faced lawyer whom the indo reports on every week.

You actually couldn't parody Niamh horans articles. An onion type version of that article would be written the same with the same characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ireland does have world famous celebs, musicians and actors mostly. The indo gives us a frog faced lawyer famous for being a frog faced lawyer whom the indo reports on every week.

You actually couldn't parody Niamh horans articles. An onion type version of that article would be written the same with the same characters.

A chipper heiress and a golddigger pumped full of botox. I can't think of a more fitting paradox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Every week in the Sunday Times both their Irish and English restaurant critics report on meals which usually cost well over €100/£100. While Greek people rummage in bins. Classy.

I was just paying homage to the fact that that article was directly below the Greek one. Why ever tripe like that is pushed to the homepage I will never understand.

The "celeb" stories are for the most lazy journalism fed by a band of z-list attention seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Birneybau wrote: »
    Not a single accredited quote. A source said, South Dublin Beauty Therapist said...If they were honest it would just state 'Niamh Horan made up' before every quote.

Ah well, at least we know that south dublin beauty therapists have their finger on the pulse of the gentile class.

But as was said earlier, there are enough muppets to buy this, read this and lap it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Aidric wrote: »
    Would that be the same Quinta Do Lago resort owned by Denis O Brien? Jesus, that really is shameful hawking.

What's the betting that Niamh Horan will get a freebie holiday to Quinta do Lago this summer? She'll have a fortnight to make up more sh1te for the Sindo. Shhe has her eye on Barry Egan's job anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Specialun wrote: »
    Would you not be embarassed if you were the journo..like seriously she went to college, i assume 4 or 5 years....then she ends up writing that crap....

Embarrassment clearly isn't programmed into her:as this portfolio of garbage clearly shows

DareGod wrote: »
    Dear jesus. I had to stop reading half way through. Not so much because of the content, but because the writing was atrocious. She repeated herself about twenty times, and the content as vapid and as boring as sin. She should go work for The Journal, the writing there is just as atrocious.

Only qualification needed to work (note. not write) for thejournal is the ability to carry out Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, repeatedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

They arent celebs at all. But are the best and most successful in Irish society that most would love to emulate.
    Others aspire to the lifestyle of those the article is describing and like to have a glimpse of how the elite really live, and so enjoy reading the article and dreaming of being like them. Its harmless escapism.

the guy in the photo in the Indo article was convicted of 17 counts of loan fraud to the value of €4.15 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

realies wrote: »
    Read a bit of that online,

But the number-one destination for yummy mummies and their families has emerged as Quinta do Lago.With the constant 30-degree heat, five-star golf courses or sandy white beaches in Luz, Silves and Sagres, the Irish have brought the party to town.

The part about Silves is interesting as it must now be a wonder of the world as how come a beach got there as it is in the foot of the mountains and about an hours drive from the sea,Luz is just a small town more known infamously for the. Abduction of maddie McCann , and Sagres is the most southerly point of portugal always windy and a Mecca for surfers.

The Indo a great two minute read of your Sunday morning...
    sounds like a sh1t party

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

The people in that article should go on vacation to Islamic State- I hear its really beautiful this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh, I don't know - you'd just have to paradox it with a serious issue.

(Try to hear this in the voice of an 11-year-old girl)

"Well the summer holidays are over and, as has been foretold for some time now, the Apocalypse is upon us. I spoke to a thin man on a horse who said he'd been waiting and wondering if it would ever go ahead and now - the moment we've all been waiting for is here.

But the yummy-mummies aren't convinced: Jactinta O'Shaghnessy sitting on the beach in Sandycove (in a stunning white-sequined dress with REAL! red flames) wasn;t prepared for the scarcity of the Ballygowan! And as for the lemon - how hard can it be to find a slice of lemon at the end of the world? Do we ask for much these days?"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

DareGod wrote: »
    She should go work for The Journal, the writing there is just as atrocious.
    Only qualification needed to work (note. not write) for thejournal is the ability to carry out Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, repeatedly.

And there are times when they manage to f*ck even that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The people in that article should go on vacation to Islamic State- I hear its really beautiful this time of year.

IsIsh? (As I imagine the people in the article would sound)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It is absolute rubbish

Vapid shyte, to be sure. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I knew Gerard Keane and Lisa Murphy would be in there somewhere.

The Indo does Trojan work, in fairness, trying to convince us all that there's this glitterati of interesting, talented people around Dublin to whom we should all aspire. I'm sure the ex models, brash businessmen and vapid hangers on who form this 'glitterati' are very impressed by themselves. It's been going on for years. It used to be Olivia Treacy and Michelle Rocca and Terry Keane; now it's Rosanna Davidson and Glenda Gilson and Yvonne Keating.

In the meantime genuinely talented, interesting people doing useful things with their lives stay happily off the back pages of the Indo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

What the hell is a "Dublin's society circle"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

This is nothing compared to my American cousins (well my Mam's cousins) and their constant "Vacationing"and pictures on Facebook.

They must have a holiday a month and post videos and photos on FB complete with bullsh1t description of what they were up to this time.

I'd block them if it wasn't so much craic giving out about them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm just wondering, what is it with the Sindo's fascination with Gerald Keane? Was he Dinny's lawyer at some point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Lisa Murphy looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Sunday papers are dross, the Saturday papers were doing alright but even they have more or less given themselves over to rubbish as well. Its telling that the Sunday papers have 10 lidil shopping vouchers in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭vertmann

I presume they're the drinking buddies of the Sindo journalists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Niamh Horan always does a good job of winding people up on here. There was another thread about her a while back where she was laughing at womens rugby in an article and it sparked outrage. The Sindo have a right gem on their hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Lisa Murphy looks ridiculous.
    The photo in yesterday's paper of Vogue DJing beside a pool in Ibiza to two people was worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Niamh Horan's latest offering is about some 5 star caravan park in Wicklow. I'll save ye the torture of actually reading it by summing it up for you in one quote:

"It's the domestic version of Marbella or Quinta Da Lago," says one socialite who has BBQ-d with the residents.

Describing the prestige of owning a mobile home in the exclusive enclaves, she says: "It's like owning a lawn mower in Monte Carlo. In other words, only the very rich can afford a garden there. Having a luxury mobile home in this part of Ireland is no different."

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Every Sunday. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Owning a lawn mower in Monte Carlo - I'm telling you the Purlitzer beckons for this hack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Niamh Horan's latest offering is about some 5 star caravan park in Wicklow.

Is that not a bit of a contradiction in terms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

NounURL="https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=circle_jerk&action=edit&section=3"][COLOR=#0066cc]edit[/COLOR][/URL

circle jerk (plural circle jerks)
    1. (vulgar, slang) A group of males masturbating ("jerking off") together (with or without interpersonal contact).
    2. (vulgar, slang) A metaphor for any group activity performed for personal gratification.
    3. (drug user slang) A person who shares syringes when injecting drugs.
    4. (Internet slang) An online community where a group of people form an echo chamber, either intentionally (as satire), or unintentionally.
    Take your pick of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Niamh Horan's latest offering is about some 5 star caravan park in Wicklow. I'll save ye the torture of actually reading it by summing it up for you in one quote:

"It's the domestic version of Marbella or Quinta Da Lago," says one socialite who has BBQ-d with the residents.

Describing the prestige of owning a mobile home in the exclusive enclaves, she says: "It's like owning a lawn mower in Monte Carlo. In other words, only the very rich can afford a garden there. Having a luxury mobile home in this part of Ireland is no different."

SRSLY? http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/s53-potters-point-brittas-bay-wicklow/2833553

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Jaysus.

There's no way this is satire? This is serious? These people are real?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

In fairness to Niamh Horan, if there are idiots around prepared to spout that kind of rubbish, and other idiots prepared to believe that these nouveau riche blingers represent some kind of high society, she's just giving people what they want.

I think it's well understood now that the Sindo is a cheap rag and the people featured in it are, in the main, vapid non entities who think hanging designer labels out of their ears and erecting security gates around their tacky piles in Castleknock and Howth make them role models the rest of us aspire to follow with bated breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

From the ad:
    We understand the site is held on a 24 year lease from the 1st of January 2011 and the current annual rent & service charges are €10,300 p.a. including VAT.

No wonder it needs a sindo editorial to talk the place up. Wonder which one of O Briens buddies is looking to sell?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I can't decide whether it's White Trash In The Sun or Skanks & Their Sugar Daddies On Tour.

What it ain't is any version of chic high society. For a start, beautiful people aren't meant to be that ugly.

From the ad:

We understand the site is held on a 24 year lease from the 1st of January 2011 and the current annual rent & service charges are €10,300 p.a. including VAT.

This looks like a Timeshare or whatever term they use nowadays. It's POA so maybe they'll pay you to take this expense off their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

In fairness to Niamh Horan, if there are idiots around prepared to spout that kind of rubbish, and other idiots prepared to believe that these nouveau riche blingers represent some kind of high society, she's just giving people what they want.

I think it's well understood now that the Sindo is a cheap rag and the people featured in it are, in the main, vapid non entities who think hanging designer labels out of their ears and erecting security gates around their tacky piles in Castleknock and Howth make them role models the rest of us aspire to follow with bated breath.

Rags like the Sindo and vacuous TV shows like Ryan Tubridy's Late Late Show I notice seem to feature the SAME faces over and over and over .. and over. I am beginning to REALLY believe that these people own our TV stations, our papers and our radio stations. Without mentioning any names, but there are at least 5 people who either have a TV and paper article every week or else appear on TV and papers as guest every week. 2 of the latter types one being a solicitor is named here already! But there are many more like a certain chef and a certain boyband manager.

We see the same people stuck everywhere. I am for one sick of year in year out seeing the same person who I saw on Tubridy on Friday staring at me from the glossy Sindo magazine on Sunday.

Columns like Barry Egan are terrible cheap gossip of celebs and semi-celebs. They remind me of the UK tabloids and their royal family obsession. This is the printed equivalent of Tubridy's most airhead interviews.

Surely, our papers and TV can give us better than that? Since when did our national broadcasters, papers and other media become personal promo tools of an elite group of people who must own, control or in some way influence them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I love the repeated use of "yummy mummies" in the article beside pictures of more money than class, ordinary middle-aged women with bad makeup and worse cosmetic procedures.

It's just amazing the self-delusion some women are capable of. At the school my kids go to I'd say there's a grand total of one of the mothers at the school gates who could accurately be described as a "yummy mummy". The rest are ordinary looking thirty-something and forty-something women yet the majority of them seem to believe the label applies to themselves and the rest of the "girlos" they like to gossip with over their mid-morning chai-latté :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There was an article the other day about Dublins high fliers in the Indo...... It was the worst thing I've ever scrolled past ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Garbage !!! Any way I can somehow decrement the counter that was up'ed for my wasted click ??

Any hackers out there that can lash in a counterFor****eIndepenDentDomain--; :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Rags like the Sindo and vacuous TV shows like Ryan Tubridy's Late Late Show I notice seem to feature the SAME faces over and over and over .. and over. I am beginning to REALLY believe that these people own our TV stations, our papers and our radio stations. Without mentioning any names, but there are at least 5 people who either have a TV and paper article every week or else appear on TV and papers as guest every week. 2 of the latter types one being a solicitor is named here already! But there are many more like a certain chef and a certain boyband manager.

We see the same people stuck everywhere. I am for one sick of year in year out seeing the same person who I saw on Tubridy on Friday staring at me from the glossy Sindo magazine on Sunday.

Columns like Barry Egan are terrible cheap gossip of celebs and semi-celebs. They remind me of the UK tabloids and their royal family obsession. This is the printed equivalent of Tubridy's most airhead interviews.

Surely, our papers and TV can give us better than that? Since when did our national broadcasters, papers and other media become personal promo tools of an elite group of people who must own, control or in some way influence them all.

I'll give you a two worded answer.

Noel Kelly.

Cormac... wrote: »
    There was an article the other day about Dublins high fliers in the Indo...... It was the worst thing I've ever scrolled past ever

Yes, this is EXACTLY the type of stuff that is sickening. Did not read it but read too much stuff like it. These people are 'high fliers' because of all the publicity the media types give them. The UK TV shows are nothing near what the Irish ones are when it comes to crass promotion of a closed clique of people and I guess the papers keep focused on the royals, so even the tabloids from there are much better than our papers.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'll give you a two worded answer.

Noel Kelly.

Just checked him out and low and behold, Tubridy and Kenny are there. So are several of these chefs. RTE, the Sindo and the rest of the united media clearly are tied into a few of these.

• Advertisement
Advertisement