Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sindo hits a new low

• 05-07-2015 7:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

http://m.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/south-dublins-jet-set-are-back-enjoying-the-sun-31352321.html

So checking the news online this morning (thanks kids for the lie in!!) and come across this peach. Front page of their website. Crux is people are now holidaying again and the southside jet set are back up to six holidays a year instead of the quiet 4 during the recessions. There's lots of quotes from socialites and the owner of a boutique (!) but not one named source - shocker.

I think its time to just block independent.ie from my phone because of course the clicks mean sales which makes more money Mr. O'Brien et al.

Another Niamh Horan beaut.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

highly1111 wrote: »
    I think its time to just block independent.ie from my phone because of course the clicks mean sales which makes more money Mr. O'Brien et al.

Yip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Never heard of Virginia Macari

Would she be of the chipper Macaris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

That is one desperate article.
    And WTF were you doing reading the 'Style Celebrity news' section OP?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Virginia is hitting glam Marbella. Is Marbella glam now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

'Vacation' is no longer a dirty word and it's become okay again to talk about summer plans.

Vacation.......said no Irish person ever

And doesn't everyone ask about holidays :confused: people in work, your barber, your taxi man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Will every sh*tty lifestyle mag piece get its own thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Some people like to take a few holidays because they can.

OMG! Scumbags. Just leave everyone else to wallow in their filthy backyards with their 10 childers and nothing but a garden hose to play with.

fatknacker wrote: »
    Some people like to take a few holidays because they can.

OMG! Scumbags. Just leave everyone else to wallow in their filthy backyards with their 10 childers and nothing but a garden hose to play with.

Garden hose? Fck away with that you posh knob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Menas wrote: »
    That is one desperate article.
    And WTF were you doing reading the 'Style Celebrity news' section OP?!!!

It was actually like stopping to watch a car crash. I've no idea why I opened it! If i could turn back time.....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Saw the headline. Gagged. Presumed it was by Niamh Horan, yup, sure was. Didn't click this time. I usually would just to read the comments saying "this isn't news" and "who?" But not this time, that's what they want us to do.... Insufferable sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Garden hose? Fck away with that you posh knob.

I mean, it's just a bunch of old condoms stitched together. We learned how to make do back in our day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

fatknacker wrote: »
    I mean, it's just a bunch of old condoms stitched together. We learned how to make do back in our day.

Couldn't be great quality condoms with ten childer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Read a bit of that online,

But the number-one destination for yummy mummies and their families has emerged as Quinta do Lago.With the constant 30-degree heat, five-star golf courses or sandy white beaches in Luz, Silves and Sagres, the Irish have brought the party to town.

The part about Silves is interesting as it must now be a wonder of the world as how come a beach got there as it is in the foot of the mountains and about an hours drive from the sea,Luz is just a small town more known infamously for the. Abduction of maddie McCann , and Sagres is the most southerly point of portugal always windy and a Mecca for surfers.

The Indo a great two minute read of your Sunday morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

It is absolute rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Never heard of Virginia Macari

Would she be of the chipper Macaris?

Yes her husband name is Ray, and no I am not coding you .

realies wrote: »
    Yes her husband name is Ray, and no I am not coding you .

I hope he does not batter her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Look at the boobies on her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I hope he does not batter her.

Unfortunately, yes , all over the plaice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

her husband has been a naughty boy

good to see such specimen being held up as examples to the rest of us proles

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/no-im-not-in-jail-husband-of-virginia-macari-following-conviction-for-fraud-31118714.html

and more....

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/virginia-macaris-fianc-was-friends-with-7m-heist-mastermind-30569526.html
    Despite being convicted on 17 counts of loan fraud - totted up at €4.1m - in a court in Oslo less than two weeks ago, Kaste Dahl remains remarkably cheery, chipper even.

"I'm certainly not in jail, as reported," Kaste told me yesterday on the phone from his home in Marbella, where he is staying with his Cork-born fiancée, Virginia Macari. They live near the sea on Mistral Beach.

It's silly, but have seen papers print a lot worse, with offensive comments, borderline racism, fuelling hatred and so on.

That article is just...stoooopid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Wang King wrote: »
    Unfortunately, yes , all over the plaice

That may require the services of a plastic sturgeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Article for empty vessels!!!

it could have been made into an interesting social article....my experience is that yes, leisure travel is booming again as people can afford to start travelling again, but no, it's re/written to include "celebrities" and is pure filler stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

÷

Explain how.

Chrome on lollipop (that's a weird phrase when you type it out).

Its really pathetic. Severe lack of class by all. No true celebrity would ever want to be mentioned here nor would consider travel to those places as a fitting break.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

What a vomit inducing piece of tripe.... journalism indeed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

http://m.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/south-dublins-jet-set-are-back-enjoying-the-sun-31352321.html

So checking the news online this morning (thanks kids for the lie in!!) and come across this peach. Front page of their website. Crux is people are now holidaying again and the southside jet set are back up to six holidays a year instead of the quiet 4 during the recessions. There's lots of quotes from socialites and the owner of a boutique (!) but not one named source - shocker.

In all fariness, what do you expect to see Niamh Horan writing about in the celebrity sectino of the Indo? Theoretical nuclear physics?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

McGaggs wrote: »
    Explain how.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Must book more holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Ardent

Nauseating stuff. A reminder of why I don't buy or read the Independent.

But I guess there are some people out there who lap up this sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Safe in the knowledge I didn't read it and rather proud I didn't get suckered in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Alnost as bad as the sickening article a few weeks ago lauding an all night party hosted by Lisa plasticface Murphy and Gerald shinyface Kean :rolleyes:

The sindo was never top class reporting but it has really gone to hell in a handbasket the last few years. Says a lot about a company when they have to include discount vouchers for cut price supermarkets to shift papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

AH hits a new low.

Even for a Sunday morning. I knew this would be someone whinging about something in the Sindo. And that the usual crew would be along to say that the Sindo is a rag and it should be banned and DOB etc etc.

But then I went and clicked on it anyway. It's my own fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

But the number-one destination for yummy mummies and their families has emerged as Quinta do Lago.With the constant 30-degree heat, five-star golf courses or sandy white beaches in Luz, Silves and Sagres, the Irish have brought the party to town.

Would that be the same Quinta Do Lago resort owned by Denis O Brien? Jesus, that really is shameful hawking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭vertmann

This all comes as a surprise why???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

It reads like a Waterford Whisper article, but she's not taking the piss, she's just "well jeal"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It just amazes me that people buy this ****. Who gives a crap about the antics of utterly z list Irish "celebs"? I guess someone must though if they're still printing it. Worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

It just amazes me that people buy this ****. Who gives a crap about the antics of utterly z list Irish "celebs"? I guess someone must though if they're still printing it. Worrying.

They arent celebs at all. But are the best and most successful in Irish society that most would love to emulate.
    Others aspire to the lifestyle of those the article is describing and like to have a glimpse of how the elite really live, and so enjoy reading the article and dreaming of being like them. Its harmless escapism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

It amazes me that people in here start threads saying look at how sh*t this paper is, inferring people shouldn't buy it or look at it, but linking to it at the same time.

It's like that ignorant backwards blonde twat in Britain who keeps coming out with trollish stuff for attention, and everyone keeps giving it to her :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It could be a case of Hoan, Virgina Mcari and their agents buyign a few thousand copies each....

This showed up on the YLYL thread a few days ago which kind sums up their mindset.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Not a single accredited quote. A source said, South Dublin Beauty Therapist said...If they were honest it would just state 'Niamh Horan made up' before every quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

They arent celebs at all. But are the best and most successful in Irish society that most would love to emulate.
    Others aspire to the lifestyle of those the article is describing and like to have a glimpse of how the elite really live, and so enjoy reading the article and dreaming of being like them. Its harmless escapism.

They are not the 'elite' though, or the 'best and most successful in Irish society' (God help us). Most of the people in these articles are up to their eyes in debt and living lifestyles they can't afford. That Desperate Dublin Housewives thing that Virginia Macari was in on TV3 a few years ago had her pretending to live in a penthouse in the Docklands, and not the 3 bed in Castleknock where she actually lives (or wherever it is). It's all so fake!!! Aspire to be like someone decent and real, who also goes on nice holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

With my tinfoil hat on I would postulate that the OP is in fact Niamh Horan hawking her own talentless drivel in this way in order to secure clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

telekon wrote: »
    Saw the headline. Gagged. Presumed it was by Niamh Horan, yup, sure was....
    And that's where I lost the tiny germ of interest that I might have had.

In all fariness, what do you expect to see Niamh Horan writing about in the celebrity sectino of the Indo? Theoretical nuclear physics?

Well, she could find some genuine celebrities for a start, and re-calibrate her gush-meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Gongoozler wrote: »

It's like that ignorant backwards blonde twat in Britain who keeps coming out with trollish stuff for attention, and everyone keeps giving it to her :confused:

Katie Hopkins

i love the sh1t she comes out with
    especially the bit about kids chav names

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be4J3z7VF3Y

Well, she could find some genuine celebrities for a start, and re-calibrate her gush-meter.

No. There is room in the media for material to cover all sorts of tastes. People who prefer a more highbrow mixture should not try to censor what others of a less discerning nature choose to read or watch.

Oh, a lovely picture of Gerald (Solicitor to Celebrities) and the luscious Lisa (with lips pumped full of God knows what - possible the melted garden hoses rescued from those poor, poor childer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

As the Greek people rummage in bins..... Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Would you not be embarassed if you were the journo..like seriously she went to college, i assume 4 or 5 years....then she ends up writing that crap....

TonyStark wrote: »
    As the Greek people rummage in bins..... Classy.

Every week in the Sunday Times both their Irish and English restaurant critics report on meals which usually cost well over €100/£100. While Greek people rummage in bins. Classy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement