Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

childs mother Sexual assaulted in front of him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

That's the Irish justice system for ya...Pathetic.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Cue keyboard warrior physical threats...mainly focusing on his groin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Fair play to the young lad. I'd say yer man might be in for his comeuppance when the kid grows up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

That particular judge features a lot in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Judge Martin Nolan said the man had given "an explanation of sorts" for what he did that night

Oh well that's grand so. He explained his actions so suspend his sentence?!

What the actual fcuk? There's many times when the Irish justice system lets itself down but how on Earth can someone escape prison time for such as assault? The kid is an obvious victim in this as well. Mind boggling stuff

• Advertisement

Just appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Oh well that's grand so. He explained his actions so suspend his sentence?!

What the actual fcuk? There's many times when the Irish justice system lets itself down but how on Earth can someone escape prison time for such as assault? The kid is an obvious victim in this as well. Mind boggling stuff

Gave an explanation of sorts which the Judge didnt believe a word of. So suspended sentence. On about your business Mr registered sex offender.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/10/19/notorious-wig-does-it-again/

He was suspended from presiding over criminal cases in January. I wonder what happened to change that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Serve over ice

Hard to imagine how that man didn't receive a custodial sentence

How many people in prison tonight for non payment of fines

The mind boggles :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I read that rather depressing story yesterday and as soon as I saw the headline, my first though was "I bet the judge was Martin Nolan."

• Advertisement

So his reward for pleading guilty is no jail time at all?

It takes almost a miracle for a sexual assault/rape case to get as far as a courtroom, and a huge amount of stress for the victim and all their circle. This just reduces their experience to a nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

His family probably need him to take the bins out on a Thursday or he has a dog he has to walk once a month or a granny he needs to visit every Christmas day or something. Better not lock him up just in case. Why would you put yourself through the trauma of a trial if that's the kind of sentence that is handed down.

I'm sure the judge's avid defenders will be along soon to explain how we don't understand the law enough to comprehend this sentence.

omahaid wrote: »
    I'm sure the judge's avid defenders will be along soon to explain how we don't understand the law enough to comprehend this sentence.

There is very good reason for allowing judges to make calls without pressure from the public swaying any decision, but this guy's record in dealing with cases of a sexual nature is just beyond belief. I'd love to hear someone try to defend it because I can't see how it can possibly be defended.

There is very good reason for allowing judges to make calls without pressure from the public swaying any decision

I agree completely with this but if I have a complaint about a member of the gardai I can go to the Garda Ombudsman but if I have a complaint about a judge who do I go to? Is there someone independent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We will get the usual defence if judge hands out a sentence ,appeals court will automatically give him a reduced sentence ,so to save all the hassle judge retard gives light sentence and go's off to enjoy hookers and coke after 18 holes in peace and quite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

This fecker agan? It's always Nolan.

http://www.facebook.com/CallForTheResignationOfJudgeMartinNolan

These guys are going to start lobbying politicians next week, if anyone is interested in helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

There's no defense for that sentence. It's a complete disgrace.

omahaid wrote: »
    I agree completely with this but if I have a complaint about a member of the gardai I can go to the Garda Ombudsman but if I have a complaint about a judge who do I go to? Is there someone independent?

I'm not sure how exactly it works, but iirc the only person who can dismiss or discipline a judge is the president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Theres a facebook page calling for his resignation.

https://www.facebook.com/CallForTheResignationOfJudgeMartinNolan

This case will surely put off other victims of similar ordeals from coming forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'v known lads to get harsher sentencing for very minor stuff (well compared to this offence like)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The whole lot of the people who administer justice in this country take a perverted pride in being detached from the sentiment of the common person; it is part of their training and profession. All this talk of proportionality and innocence is garb for the fiends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Has the hallmarks of a fantastic revenge movie though!

This fecker agan? It's always Nolan.

Nah, sometimes Justice Carney helps him out.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/colette-browne/patrick-obrien-raped-his-daughter-for-10-years-why-is-he-not-in-jail-220367.html

In that particular case he eventually sent the child rapist to prison after public outcry.

He admitted he was 'insensitive' in letting him walk on bail.

It's one or the other though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

carzony wrote: »
    poor child having to witness this. A ****in 2 year suspended sentence? WTF??

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/son-8-saw-sex-assault-on-mum-in-her-bed-29397989.html
    The single sentence "Judge Martin Nolan" explains all, this so called "Judge" is famour for denigrating female victims and letting their attackers walk free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

This country really is a cesspit, from idiotic governments to banks destroying peoples livelihood even our justice system is terrible everyday i'm becoming more ashamed to live in such a ****hole of a country!

Advertisement