Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chimney fire

Options
  • 14-07-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

if you called the fire brigade out for what seemed to be a chimney fire but wasn't in the end how much would that cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Depends on where abouts you live. Check your local authority's website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

tree fiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

now really is not the time to be frugel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Who lights fires in their home in this day and age?

OP must live in Laois. At least that would offer a reasonable explanation as to why they dont have a modern central heating system in their home.

Samich wrote: »
    tree fiddy

Foe fiddy yo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

OP must live in Laois. At least that would offer a reasonable explanation as to why they dont have a modern central heating system in their home.

How do you heat your home? Oil?

Can't beat a good open fire when it's lashing rain and you're lying up on the couch with your socks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

if you called the fire brigade out for what seemed to be a chimney fire but wasn't in the end how much would that cost?

Serious answer: I'm guessing you live in Galway, so charged at chimney fire rate, €300.

Linky

Now run to the atm, get the cash and call them, run!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I have central heating in my home but I still use the fire in the winter, particularly around Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Depends if you've got a money grabbing local authority or not

Abi wrote: »
    I have central heating in my home but I still use the fire in the winter, particularly around Christmas.

Thats so 1970's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Depends if you've got a money grabbing local authority or not

Aren't they all money grabbing now? :mad:

Samich wrote: »
    How do you heat your home? Oil?

Can't beat a good open fire when it's lashing rain and you're lying up on the couch with your socks off.

Then you have to clean up in the morning which just ruins it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Wave your household charge receipt at them and you get the call out for free.
    The household charge pays for your services......... Phil hogan told me.........

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

am in galway. think there was some rubbish in the fireplace and someone lit it. anyway just received a phone call that they did indeed call out. all was fine (as i expected). so it looks like it will be a very expensive chimney clean :rolleyes:

Thats so 1970's

i think its christmassy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

anyway just received a phone call that they did indeed call out. all was fine (as i expected). so it looks like it will be a very expensive chimney clean :rolleyes:

What do you mean you got a call that they called out?

Who phoned for to call the Fire Brigade out? The bill goes to whoever calls the brigade. Also check your home insurance - it may cover call outs.

What do you mean you got a call that they called out?

Who phoned for to call the Fire Brigade out? The bill goes to whoever calls the brigade. Also check your home insurance - it may cover call outs.

my missus called them out. she has spotted since that the call out charge is €500 for dublin. hopefully galway is cheaper! but will check the home insurance route - good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Private Piles

250 in Louth, about 3/4 years ago. Insurance covered it I think.

But same thing happened 2 years later, we had to call them and while they were working away at the fireplace, one of them looks around the sitting room and goes ' this place looks familiar, have we been here before?'

Lesson: have your chimney cleaned EVERY year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lesson: have your chimney cleaned EVERY year.
    Your supposed to clean your chimney more than once a year, more like 3 or 4 times a year, or get a Chimneysafe a new Irish product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wait.. it the fire brigade charge you?!?! :eek:
    Thought it was a free emergency service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Wait.. it the fire brigade charge you?!?! :eek:
    Thought it was a free emergency service.

We live in Ireland you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

ft9 wrote: »

I've never had a need to call the fire brigade (touch wood) so never knew.

But its insane! the Fire Brigade is an emergency service. Funded by peoples tax. What next? it'll cost money for an ambulance? to call the guards!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

ft9 wrote: »

I've never had a need to call the fire brigade (touch wood) so never knew.

But its insane! the Fire Brigade is an emergency service. Funded by peoples tax. What next? it'll cost money for an ambulance? to call the guards!? :eek:

Errrm you've already to pay for an Ambulance I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is it your chimney or someone elses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

If it's a real fire, there's no charge as far as I know. Or at least I called the fire brigade recently and still haven't received a charge for it (building nearby was on fire). Of course maybe they simply passed on the charge to the building's owner when they got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If it's a real fire, there's no charge as far as I know. Or at least I called the fire brigade recently and still haven't received a charge for it (building nearby was on fire). Of course maybe they simply passed on the charge to the building's owner when they got there.

I would doubt the charge is passed to the person who made the call, unless it was their property that was on fire.

I have called the fire brigade once, for a building that was in sight of where I lived. The operator only had my name and number, cant see how, or even why I would have been charged.

Advertisement