Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 Year old boy Has Time Machine plan that might work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

If time travel is possible, how come you're future self hasn't already cracked it, come back in time and given you the schematics??....

Perhaps they ended up in a parallel universe!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭gentillabdulla

Actually I have come to accept and embrace quantum theory. To your statement about time travel being impossible all I have to say is this..... "If you think Einstein is wrong then be my guest."

p.s. I say that because time dilation has been proved already. We even have time travelers today. Although they have only been sent to the future for a few millionths of a second.

Bodicea wrote: »
    Given that time is a conceptual component of 3D existance I very much doubt he could capture it in a physical sense. Not only that, on a very simplistic level, if time travel were possible, then why has no one from the future made an appearance. E.g. the haitians could have been warned, as could have the Idonesians before that awful tsunami struck. The recession could have been avoided and all diseases cured....

Time travel will never be possible, not least cos it (time) only goes in one direction...forward.
    How do you know that we haven't been visited before? Unless you can show me proof that there have been absolutley no time travelers I have to disregard what you said. Oh and can you tell me how would you tell the difference from a normal person and a time traveler just by looking at each?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

p.s. I say that because time dilation has been proved already. We even have time travelers today. Although they have only been sent to the future for a few millionths of a second.

That's very different. I don't think anyone is going to deny that you can travel forward in time (given that's what we're doing now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

What a lot of B...Sh*t

• Advertisement

You say "plastic magnet" WTF, your dreaming

Gentill says here http://rss.ireport.com/docs/DOC-377336 "I'm sorry you don't think I'm telling the truth but it is. Why would I even lie, no good will come from it.Also the experiment plan is real I have it with me right now"

You did this to get notoriety, money and attention.

Mainly a grab for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

old_aussie wrote: »
    You say "plastic magnet" WTF, your dreaming
    Conceptually, its no madder than a ceramic superconductor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I'm a little confused.

Did a 13 year old kid, with no knowledge of the math behind quantum theory or General Relativity, pay to take out ads in some papers to state that he has working schematics to build a time machine??? Did he really claim that photons have infinite energy (as was being postulated before Max Plank), that he is in the process of building a perpetual motion machine & that he is working on grand unification theories...
    ...only to be royally schooled on this 7-page blog in about 3 pages...

:DI tip my hat off to you sir, gentill. :D

To Proffesor Fink about wormholes: Closed spacelike curves should be the same thing as closed timelike curves. Since space and time are inter-related you can't have one without the other.

• Advertisement

That's where imagination comes in. Most adults usually lose their imagination. Whereas kids still have theirs. So wouldn't it be logical that a kid (If he/she was correctly taught) would come up with a way to make a plan for such a mechanism?

The ignorance of people these days just sickens me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's where imagination comes in. Most adults usually lose their imagination. Whereas kids still have theirs. So wouldn't it be logical that a kid (If he/she was correctly taught) would come up with a way to make a plan for such a mechanism?

Not really, no. There's a reason that physicists go through years of education. I struggle to think of a single major innovation in theoretical physics that arose from a child's work. It's commendable that some work on it, and many will undoubtedly end up better at it than I am, but there are often technicalities and subtleties that they just don't grasp or fully understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Listening to him he convinced me.......................he's a genius!!!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Not really, no. There's a reason that physicists go through years of education. I struggle to think of a single major innovation in theoretical physics that arose from a child's work. It's commendable that some work on it, and many will undoubtedly end up better at it than I am, but there are often technicalities and subtleties that they just don't grasp or fully understand.

Yes but my experiment just replaces gravity and uses electromagnetism. BUT ,we are still talking about the old one btw, it allows an object to have infinite energy density but in a barbaric way. The experiment also has to be sustained. But in order to understand my way of thinking I have to ask you this question "How do you compress an object without compressing an object?" This is where imagination comes in. The plastic magnet is really a light tunable magnet. It gets stronger with light. (Blue light specifically) But it is very hard to produce and doesn't work at room temperature. The experiment on the other hand can be done without it ,or the beam of light for that matter, it just has to warp space time.

dunworth1 wrote: »

I don't think George gave me enough time on there though. Was my voice to high on there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

It might be too early, but i'd like to welcome our newest arachnid overloads to the planet earth. Hopefully they'll do Ireland better justice than out current Swine overlords.

Hail our newest spineback Tds!!

Podge_irl wrote: »

Unlike older physicists children don't need inspiration. WE can do it without it.

I can't believe you said
    That's where imagination comes in. Most adults usually lose their imagination.
    only to then say
    The ignorance of people these days just sickens me!

which is really indicative of you being only 13. Anybody who makes such sweeping assumptions is only destined to fail. To say that adults have no imagination is just as general as some of the claims in your ireport, I mean how do you know if my mother has no imagination, or those doctors whose "imagination" led to things like heart transplants, brain surgery, "string theory".

Also, don't you think it's a bit crazy to go on national radio proclaiming x,y & z only to be schooled on this blog by Prof Fink 4 days after, the first person who actually understood the details of what you're talking about (assuming he's the first to read this).

I listened to Michio Kaku on that show b4 & thought it was good, but now this shows just lost all credibility to me.

If you're so serious why don't you go down to Steven Weinberg (assuming you know who he is) in his college in Austin Texas, you live in Texas & shouldn't live so far away from him. Why not get his, or any college professor's opinion on your theory instead of telling people w/o physics degrees you've created black holes,quantum theory is wrong and that you've got a device to split a magnetic singularity into a ring.

Weinberg has written books on general relativity & cosmology so he should have a good idea of the validity of your theory. But, you really could go to any prof and get a detailed explanation of why you're theory is just too...

Theres nothing wrong with theorizing or having an imagination, but if you think - and say - that all adults lose their imagination you've certainly got some s'plainin to do... Also, maybe stay off national radio until you've got a cement-clad theory, you'll become known as the boy who cried "BLACK HOLE!"

• Advertisement

I can't believe you said

only to then say

which is really indicative of you being only 13. Anybody who makes such sweeping assumptions is only destined to fail. To say that adults have no imagination is just as general as some of the claims in your ireport, I mean how do you know if my mother has no imagination, or those doctors whose "imagination" led to things like heart transplants, brain surgery, "string theory".

Also, don't you think it's a bit crazy to go on national radio proclaiming x,y & z only to be schooled on this blog by Prof Fink 4 days after, the first person who actually understood the details of what you're talking about (assuming he's the first to read this).

I listened to Michio Kaku on that show b4 & thought it was good, but now this shows just lost all credibility to me.

If you're so serious why don't you go down to Steven Weinberg (assuming you know who he is) in his college in Austin Texas, you live in Texas & shouldn't live so far away from him. Why not get his, or any college professor's opinion on your theory instead of telling people w/o physics degrees you've created black holes,quantum theory is wrong and that you've got a device to split a magnetic singularity into a ring.

Weinberg has written books on general relativity & cosmology so he should have a good idea of the validity of your theory. But, you really could go to any prof and get a detailed explanation of why you're theory is just too...

Theres nothing wrong with theorizing or having an imagination, but if you think - and say - that all adults lose their imagination you've certainly got some s'plainin to do... Also, maybe stay off national radio until you've got a cement-clad theory, you'll become known as the boy who cried "BLACK HOLE!"

I never said that ALL adults lose their imagination did I? I said most adults lose their imagination.I was wrong to say that quantum theory is wrong ,but I have grown to accept it now.I do not believe I was schooled by the way. I had just tried to explain to him ,what I later found out, was Nasseim Haramein's unified field theory. The other person that supports me is John Hutchison. In my old experiment I used compression to make an object gain infinite energy density.I just switched from gravitational compression to magnetic compression. SO that got me thinking how do you compress something without compressing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Does anyone have any questions for me?

I do. How did you end up on boards? ;)

djhaxman wrote: »
    I do. How did you end up on boards? ;)
    Well it happened when my sister told me my name was on google.When I looked my name on my own computer I found this forum. It had sent me to this specific thread. I kept looking at it for a few days and I thought I would join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Sound Computers

SO that got me thinking how do you compress something without compressing it?

this is quite the paradoxical thought experiment...i seem to recall someone writing about it in the 1930's...some silly austrian and his feline pet come to mind :)

Do the work and find out.
    Theorising and hypostulating and asking for opinions is well, pointless.
    If you have a mad idea go and test it.
    Is time travel possible? Go and ask a bus queue.
    If they all say yes then it is.
    No need for research, its been sorted by public opinion.

Research is always important I believe. Opinion not so much(unless it is based on research that clearly supports the opinion.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Apologies for the ninja post. But i believe Abdulla is promoting snake oil and magic beans. I suspect that family members of the boy have spotted an oppurtunity to cash in on the childs enthusiasm for physics and his ideas. Hence the strong push for publicity. Anyone else get that feeling?

Xios wrote: »
    Apologies for the ninja post. But i believe Abdulla is promoting snake oil and magic beans. I suspect that family members of the boy have spotted an oppurtunity to cash in on the childs enthusiasm for physics and his ideas. Hence the strong push for publicity. Anyone else get that feeling?

When you try to sell the idea of a time machine that is not in the shape of a DeLorean & contains no Flux Capacitor you can't be offering anything but snake oil & magic beans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

When you try to sell the idea of a time machine that is not in the shape of a DeLorean & contains no Flux Capacitor you can't be offering anything but snake oil & magic beans...

I am very tired right now, been up all night playing warcraft 3 so i wouldn't sleep in for work, so i'm confused with all the negatives in your sentence. You're agreeing with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

How do we know that he didn't discover all of this as a 90 year old and then simply travel back in time to bamboozle us all and of Science in general as a 13 year old?

• Advertisement

Xios wrote: »
    I am very tired right now, been up all night playing warcraft 3 so i wouldn't sleep in for work, so i'm confused with all the negatives in your sentence. You're agreeing with me?

It's just a Back to the Future joke about the car needing a flux capacitor to work. '...[it] was described by Doc as "what makes time travel possible".'

So yeah, I am lol ;)

Advertisement