Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimp Outperforms Humans at Memory Test

Options
  • 04-12-2007 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Young chimps can beat adult humans in a task involving remembering numbers, reveals a new study. It is the first time chimps – and young ones, at that – have outperformed humans at a cognitive task.

And the finding may add weight to a theory about the evolution of language in humans, say the researchers.

Three adult female chimps, their three 5-year-old offspring, and university student volunteers were tested on their ability to memorise the numbers 1 to 9 appearing at random locations on a touchscreen monitor.

The chimps had previously been taught the ascending order of the numbers. Using an ability akin to photographic memory, the young chimps were able to memorise the location of the numerals with better accuracy than humans performing the same task.

During the test, the numerals appeared on the screen for 650, 430 or 210 milliseconds, and were then replaced by blank white squares.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgeLEWr614&feature=user

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I believe it's because chimps have to remember where they stashed the bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah, yeah... but how did the monkeys score on the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

When the chimp remembers every pin number, password and door entry code that an average person has to remember, coupled with the normal everyday tasks like driving, operating computers, reading, cooking etc then I'll be really impressed.

For now I'm only mildly impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LOL.

University student volunteers are not adult humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Americans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

apologies to banksy

Wait... where did I put my keys?

Reading the OP again, I'd be after thinking that the researchers are the university student volunteers.

It's an extremely small sample to draw any conclusions from. The standard error would be huge.

Slow coach wrote: »
    Reading the OP again, I'd be after thinking that the researchers are the university student volunteers.

It's an extremely small sample to draw any conclusions from. The standard error would be huge.

Chimps 1 Humans 0 in this match I'm afraid, lets just take it on the chin and try not to make ourselves look like poor losers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hey, I never claimed to be smarter than a monkey, nor have better memory :D

• Advertisement

Chimps 1 Humans 0 in this match I'm afraid, lets just take it on the chin and try not to make ourselves look like poor losers

Include yourself, if you like. But it's a small sample test, so drawing conclusions about the general populace would be problematic at best. Nothing to do with poor losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Well now that we've solved that mystery it's time to move on. Next up I'd like to know which TASTES better, human meat or chimp?

Include yourself, if you like. But it's a small sample test, so drawing conclusions about the general populace would be problematic at best. Nothing to do with poor losing.

I do include me. But most of all I include you. It's because of people like you that we lost this match. Stop being a sore loser about it. That is my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

hail to the chimps i guess. But lets see them write a good book

The blurst of times???!!!

I do include me. But most of all I include you.

Nothing I can do about that. But, statistically speaking, you are in error. Were you one of the student volunteers? That would explain a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

hail to the chimps i guess. But lets see them write a good book

Or start posting on Boards :D

Nothing I can do about that. But, statistically speaking, you are in error. Were you one of the student volunteers? That would explain a lot.

Statstically speaking you are having a very hard time coping with the notion that some humans were beaten by some chimps. Rather than just accept this fact and live with it you are calling into question the calibre of the humans. Did you apply your little 1st-year-undergrad quibble about the population sample to the chimps? No you did not. Just to the losers, the losers like you. You are a poor loser and what is more you are a damned chimpist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

did you not see the video on tv the chimps were speeding along. but I wonder did then learn numbers or shapes of characters, a better test would be to put the numbers as I II III , IIII etc and see how fast the humans and chimps count ....

Did you apply your little 1st-year-undergrad quibble about the population sample to the chimps?

When you apply standard errors to a test, it's not just to half the test. Any Statistics' Grad would know that. :rolleyes:

But based on your answer, I guess your just trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.primates.com/chimps/drunk-n-disorderly.html
    Chimpanzees in western Uganda are increasingly raiding illegal brewing operations in forested river valleys and getting drunk on the country beer. Once intoxicated, they become hostile and attack and at times kill human children, parks officials say.

elephants get drunk too, and there are reindeer that eat magic mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Look, I know I'm smarter than most moneys, but not those fancy circus moneys, they can ware hats and ride bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Americans?
    Well their leader is a chimp.

Take me to your chimp. Bring only Bananas. No pretzels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

This Gorilla seems pretty sharp too ;)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=_MpbMm0433I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

pffft, watch the movie 'Congo' for an example of an intelligent gorilla. Amy FTW. Saved them from the silverbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vaschuk

Stupid, remembering is not a skill. Conduct a study worth while. When Chimps can recite the happenings of The Franco Prussian War then call me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Americans?
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

I love you Dr. Zaius.

• Advertisement
Advertisement