Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Flaw of General Relativity, a New Metric and Cosmological Implications [Technical]

• 26-07-2006 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Discussion appreciated:

A Flaw of General Relativity, a New Metric and Cosmological Implications

Abstract: General relativity is shown to be inconsistent. A new metric for Schwarzschild geometry is derived and shown to be confirmed by all experimental tests of the Schwarzschild metric. (Those tests compose the vast majority of experimental tests of general relativity.) The predictions of the new metric and the Schwarzschild metric diverge as gravity strengthens. Black holes are not predicted by the new metric. The cosmological implications show that gravity alone can explain away the flatness and horizon problems and cause the universe to seemingly accelerate in its expansion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

There is a lot to comment on here, but I'll be exhasted for work tomorrow if I stay up.
    So expect two, maybe three, very long posts tomorrow.

The first one/two will be conceptual errors and the last will be mathematical errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

Ok, you've gone wrong in a few places, I'm afraid.

First, you need to specify what reference frame you're talking about at each step.

As far as I can see, you are always looking at this from the frame of some central object towards which the particle is falling.

And indeed, from such a frame, you do not see an event horizon at the schwarzchild radius. The event horizon comes up when you look at the system the other way around, from the frame of the incoming particle, as time in that reference frame essentially stops at the event horizon.

The event horizon can always be removed by applying a coordinate transform known as the Kruskal extension.

There are other mistakes, but this seems to be at the heart of the matter.

Also, for what its worth, its _very_ easy to prove that the schwarzchild solution is unique.

It's the only vacuum solution which satisfies spherical symmetry and asymptotic flatness.

The derivation can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_black_hole

I am sorry, because that webpage looks like it took ages to write. Generally physicists use latex, since it has proper maths support, and distribute PDFs instead (as on the arxiv). N J Phys is of course the exception that proves the rule :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Zanket

First, you need to specify what reference frame you're talking about at each step.

The reference frame is always clear.
    As far as I can see, you are always looking at this from the frame of some central object towards which the particle is falling.

No. For example, section 2 discusses a free-falling particle’s velocity as directly measured at each altitude. Then the frame in which the measurement is done is either the particle’s (directly measuring the velocity of something at an altitude as it passes by) or that of some observer at an altitude (directly measuring the velocity of the particle as it passes by).
    And indeed, from such a frame, you do not see an event horizon at the schwarzchild radius. The event horizon comes up when you look at the system the other way around, from the frame of the incoming particle, as time in that reference frame essentially stops at the event horizon.

In GR, in the frame of the infalling particle, nothing special need occur at the event horizon. You could have crossed one while reading this sentence.
    There are other mistakes, but this seems to be at the heart of the matter.

I don’t see how you have shown any mistake.
    Also, for what its worth, its _very_ easy to prove that the schwarzchild solution is unique.

It's the only vacuum solution which satisfies spherical symmetry and asymptotic flatness.

The derivation can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_black_hole

Birkhoff's theorem is immaterial to my paper. It doesn’t prove that the Schwarzschild metric is a valid description of Schwarzschild geometry. It proves that it is “unique” only in the context of Einstein’s field equations. My paper shows that those equations lead to an inconsistency. By definition theories are not proved, so nothing proves that GR is valid.

Zanket wrote:
    The reference frame is always clear.

No. For example, section 2 discusses a free-falling particle’s velocity as directly measured at each altitude.

How is it possible to 'directly measure' the particles velocity?

You can only measure a relative velocity, such as between the incoming particle and the central mass. If you have someone sitting at a specific altitude, they are a in a third reference frame and don't measure the same relative velocity between the other two frames.

• Advertisement

If you have someone sitting at a specific altitude, they are a in a third reference frame and don't measure the same relative velocity between the other two frames.

Agreed. So get rid of the superfluous third frame, that of the central mass.

Any observer passing directly by an object can directly measure its velocity. So either the infalling particle can directly measure the velocity of something sitting at a specific altitude as it passes directly by, or vice versa.

Zanket wrote:
    Agreed. So get rid of the superfluous third frame, that of the central mass.

Any observer passing directly by an object can directly measure its velocity. So either the infalling particle can directly measure the velocity of something sitting at a specific altitude as it passes directly by, or vice versa.

Ok, but then the observer doesn't measure the velocity of the particle towards the central mass, but rather the velocity towards that point. And while the point in question may be static relative to the central mass, it is not the same frame.

Also, you keep moving the point your looking at since you are dealing with a different reference frame at each altitude. So if you are not measuring the velocity relative to the central mass, then you are measuring it at each point in a different reference frame, which is totally useless.

Ok, but then the observer doesn't measure the velocity of the particle towards the central mass, but rather the velocity towards that point. And while the point in question may be static relative to the central mass, it is not the same frame.

The particle directly measures the velocity of something sitting at a specific altitude as it passes directly by, or vice versa.

The frame of the central mass is not mentioned in the paper.
    Also, you keep moving the point your looking at since you are dealing with a different reference frame at each altitude. So if you are not measuring the velocity relative to the central mass, then you are measuring it at each point in a different reference frame, which is totally useless.

It is not useless for the velocity to be directly measured as I describe above, even for a succession of such measurements. Section 2 uses such measurements in a valid way to show that GR is inconsistent. Physics is primarily about predicting measurements. Any measurement is fair game.

Taylor and Wheeler devote a section of their book Exploring Black Holes to the same situation as described in section 2, that of a particle falling radially from rest at infinity, its velocity directly measured at each point by observers sitting at a specific altitudes as the particle passes directly by. From the Schwarzschild metric they derive an equation that predicts what any such observer would measure. That such observers each have their own frame is immaterial. You suggest that their analysis and the resulting equation are meaningless. Can you prove that it is?

Zanket wrote:
    It is not useless for the velocity to be directly measured as I describe above, even for a succession of such measurements. Section 2 uses such measurements in a valid way to show that GR is inconsistent. Physics is primarily about predicting measurements. Any measurement is fair game.

I'm not questioning whether or not the measurements are fair game, but rather that your analysis is fundamentally flawed.
    Zanket wrote:
    Taylor and Wheeler devote a section of their book Exploring Black Holes to the same situation as described in section 2, that of a particle falling radially from rest at infinity, its velocity directly measured at each point by observers sitting at a specific altitudes as the particle passes directly by. From the Schwarzschild metric they derive an equation that predicts what any such observer would measure. That such observers each have their own frame is immaterial. You suggest that their analysis and the resulting equation are meaningless. Can you prove that it is?

I have not read the book, and so I cannot comment on the veracity of their analysis. They're smart guys, so I'm guessing that their analysis is probably correct, but I'm not arguing about their analysis, which I must assume is consistent with GR. I'm arguing with yours, which is not.

Also for the record say "Wheeler says" isn't a valid arguement.

I have not read the book, and so I cannot comment on the veracity of their analysis. They're smart guys, so I'm guessing that their analysis is probably correct, but I'm not arguing about their analysis, which I must assume is consistent with GR. I'm arguing with yours, which is not.

You said that measurements such as those in section 2 are useless. But you guess that T&W's use of such measurements is probably correct. Then I don't see how you have shown any problem of my paper. To make a compelling argument you need to be more specific. All I'm seeing is "you're wrong" with nothing to support that.

• Advertisement

Bear in mind that since you you placed technical on the title of this thread, it will be treated as being subject to actual rigor.
    Which means no Philosophy of Science 101 statements, such as:
    Birkhoff's theorem is immaterial to my paper. It doesn’t prove that the Schwarzschild metric is a valid description of Schwarzschild geometry. It proves that it is “unique” only in the context of Einstein’s field equations. My paper shows that those equations lead to an inconsistency. By definition theories are not proved, so nothing proves that GR is valid.
    Also Professor_Fink was talking about its uniqueness as a solution to the field equations being easy to prove, which isn't something subject to the standard "theories are never proved" line.

It also means that you do not get insulted by any objections.

Anyway onto the actual analysis.
    Author: It applies to an inertial frame, a frame in free fall and throughout which the tidal force is negligible (2). Such frame need not be infinitesimally small.
    I'm going to let you away with this. Strictly the equivalence principle is a local statement and cannot be made global at all, but I won't comment too much on this.
    According to the equivalence principle, the crew of a relativistic rocket experiences the equivalent of a uniform gravitational field.
    This is fine.
    Then the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket in section 8 are also those for a uniform gravitational field.
    This is not true. The equivalence principle states that every solution to the field equation is locally Minkowskian.
    The equations of motion for an accelerating rocket are parameterised equations for a worldline in Minkowskian spacetime. However Minkowskain spacetime does not allow for gravity, so those equations cannot be those for a uniform gravitational field. There are no special relativitic gravitational equations.
    Then directly measured free-fall velocity asymptotes to c in a uniform gravitational field.
    That's fine.
    General relativity says that above the Schwarzschild radius the particle passes each altitude at a directly measured velocity equal to the escape velocity there (3). Then if the particle’s velocity as directly measured at each altitude asymptoted to c, so would escape velocity
    This is a very odd statement. I can see it in Wheeler's book, but he is only making a pedagogical analogy, using a very easy Newtonian result.
    Yet it is also correct. However remember GR is very global and a black hole is nothing but global.
    A shell observer will see the velocity asymptote to c and hit v = c at the event horizon. A "far away" observer will see the velocity asymptote to 0 and hit v = 0 at the event horizon.

The problem with your analysis is that shell observer can only exist down to a lower bound of infinitesimally close to the horizon which is why the velocity asymptotes.
    Wheeler's book is basically using a series of shell observers. Shell observers are Special Relativistic observers in General Relativity, basically.

Black Holes are simply global objects and you have to use full differential geometry to understand it. You cannot substitute intuitive notions of speed.
    Wheelers analysis fails at the horizon and Wheeler himself states this. The escape velocity asymptotes c within the charts of shell observers. However the interior of the hole is outside their charts. Very similar to the twin paradox.
    This is very unintuitive and an easy mistake to make.
    In essence don't take what one observer sees and promote it to a global condition. Distant observers never see the guy cross the horizon for instance.
    Shell observers see him hit "c" at r = 2M and then disappear.
    Reader: Do you really expect us to believe that an inconsistency has existed undetected in general relativity ever since it was published?

Author: It has long been known that general relativity predicts central singularities where its equations fail and where it is incompatible with quantum mechanics. Then it should not be a surprise that the theory is flawed in another way.
    Firstly QM and GR are not incompatible. Secondly equations don't "fail". All that happens is that at the singularity there is a topological gap.

I was going to post a longer analysis, but I think it might subtract from these crucial basic points. So it will wait until you have responded to these.

Son Goku wrote:
    Firstly QM and GR are not incompatible. Secondly equations don't "fail". All that happens is that at the singularity there is a topological gap.

I was going to post a longer analysis, but I think it might subtract from these crucial basic points. So it will wait until you have responded to these.

An interesting side note about general relativity and quantum mechanics is that it is perfectly reasonable to use standard quantum mechanics on a classical curved spacetime background as long as the curvature is small compared to the deBroglie wavelength of the particle concerned.

The net result of this is that you can apply quantum mechanics very quite close to a physical singularity without all that much trouble.

I know it's not relevant to this post, but I thought someone might find it interesting/useful :-)

Son Goku wrote:
    Bear in mind that since you you placed technical on the title of this thread, it will be treated as being subject to actual rigor.
    Which means no Philosophy of Science 101 statements, such as:

I see nothing in the forum charter about the “technical” tag that disallows noting a basic scientific concept when it can be reasonably presumed that the concept is misunderstood. Birkhoff's theorem is immaterial to my paper. So it is reasonable to assume that the Professor, by mentioning it, was under the false impression that it proves that the Schwarzschild metric is the only valid describer of Schwarzschild geometry, hence disproving my paper. The simple way to counter that is to note that theories are not proved, hence Birkhoff's theorem cannot be such a proof.

If my use of basic scientific concepts as a means to most efficiently argue my points will lead to adverse mod action, please tell me now, otherwise disregard. I didn’t mind the Professor’s comment. But I would mind not being able to respond to comments in an efficient scientific way.
    Also Professor_Fink was talking about its uniqueness as a solution to the field equations being easy to prove, which isn't something subject to the standard "theories are never proved" line.

In the context of my paper, the irrelevant comment “its _very_ easy to prove that the schwarzchild solution is unique”, with no mention of Einstein’s field equations, suggests that there is proof that the new metric shown in my paper is invalid.
    It also means that you do not get insulted by any objections.

I was not insulted. I am not even insulted by your suggestion that I was.
    Anyway onto the actual analysis.

Great. I appreciate your comments.
    I'm going to let you away with this. Strictly the equivalence principle is a local statement and cannot be made global at all, but I won't comment too much on this.

Yes, strictly. My reference for that is Thorne. Taylor and Wheeler do the same. Apparently some top-notch physicists favor a looser definition.
    The equivalence principle states that every solution to the field equation is locally Minkowskian.
    The equations of motion for an accelerating rocket are parameterised equations for a worldline in Minkowskian spacetime. However Minkowskain spacetime does not allow for gravity, so those equations cannot be those for a uniform gravitational field. There are no special relativitic gravitational equations.

Minkowskian spacetime does not apply within a gravitational field. That does not conflict with the finding of section 1. You agreed that the crew of a relativistic rocket experiences the equivalent of a uniform gravitational field. Then you must agree that the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket are those for a uniform gravitational field. There is no logical way around that. There must be special relativistic equations for a uniform gravitational field, when the relativistic rocket equations are special relativistic equations and the crew of a relativistic rocket experiences the equivalent of a uniform gravitational field. There is no logical way around that either.

In short, if the definition of Minkowskian spacetime is in conflict with section 1, that is an inconsistency of GR.
    The problem with your analysis is that shell observer can only exist down to a lower bound of infinitesimally close to the horizon which is why the velocity asymptotes.

Why the velocity asymptotes has nothing to do with the lower limit of altitude for shell observers. See below.
    Wheeler's book is basically using a series of shell observers. Shell observers are Special Relativistic observers in General Relativity, basically.

Agreed.
    You cannot substitute intuitive notions of speed.

To be clear, I did not do that.
    Wheelers analysis fails at the horizon and Wheeler himself states this.

The analysis in section 2 is solely above the horizon.
    The escape velocity asymptotes c within the charts of shell observers. However the interior of the hole is outside their charts.

You put the cart before the horse. When the escape velocity asymptotes to c, it is always less than c. Then there is no horizon, hence no “interior of the hole”. Only if the velocity did not asymptote to c in the charts of shell observers could there be a horizon.

The escape velocity asymptotes to c in the chart of the particle too, where the escape velocity at each altitude is the particle’s directly measured velocity relative to a shell observer passing directly by.
    In essence don't take what one observer sees and promote it to a global condition.

Distant observers never see the guy cross the horizon for instance.

To be clear, the analysis in section 2 does not involve a distant observer.
    Shell observers see him hit "c" at r = 2M and then disappear.

That puts the cart before the horse, as noted above.
    Firstly QM and GR are not incompatible.
    From T&W’s Exploring Black Holes, pg. 2-24:
    That is, anything falling to the center of a black hole is crushed to zero volume—to a single point. That is the prediction of general relativity, which is a classical (non-quantum) theory. In contrast, quantum theory predicts that nothing—not even a single electron—can be confined to a point.

Then they are incompatible.
    Son Goku wrote:
    Secondly equations don't "fail". All that happens is that at the singularity there is a topological gap.
    From Thorne’s Black Holes & Time Warps, pg. 557:

Definition of “singularity”: A region of spacetime where spacetime curvature becomes so strong that the general relativistic laws break down

Break down = fail

Zanket wrote:
    I see nothing in the forum charter about the “technical” tag that disallows noting a basic scientific concept when it can be reasonably presumed that the concept is misunderstood. Birkhoff's theorem is immaterial to my paper. So it is reasonable to assume that the Professor, by mentioning it, was under the false impression that it proves that the Schwarzschild metric is the only valid describer of Schwarzschild geometry, hence disproving my paper. The simple way to counter that is to note that theories are not proved, hence Birkhoff's theorem cannot be such a proof.

If my use of basic scientific concepts as a means to most efficiently argue my points will lead to adverse mod action, please tell me now, otherwise disregard. I didn’t mind the Professor’s comment. But I would mind not being able to respond to comments in an efficient scientific way.
    You miss the point. I'm saying don't clog your argument with Popperian statements like:
    "Theories can never be proven", because they run a huge risk of destroying any scientific argument and turning it into an argument about science.
    I was not insulted. I am not even insulted by your suggestion that I was.
    I have no idea what your like, but I have had some ridiculous conversations with people who think General Relativity is wrong. It is simply a warning without a reason.
    Yes, strictly. My reference for that is Thorne. Taylor and Wheeler do the same. Apparently some top-notch physicists favor a looser definition.
    Thorne doesn't really, I think he just uses it to make arguments easier. All of his papers centre on microlocal analysis so he has to take the rigorous definition. Same with Wheeler, if you have read MTW you'll see this. I can not comment on Taylor.
    You agreed that the crew of a relativistic rocket experiences the equivalent of a uniform gravitational field.
    Yes.
    Then you must agree that the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket are those for a uniform gravitational field.
    No. I can understand why this causes difficulty. Acceleration is local equivalent to gravity. An accelerating rocket will have a curved time like worldline in Minkowskian spacetime. However a rocket under gravitation will follow a geodesic in curved spacetime.
    For the gravitationally effected rocket, near an event "p" the worldline of the rocket will be similar to the worldline of an accelerating rocket in Minkowskian spacetime.
    It is in this sense that they are equivalent. However you cannot say they have the same equations of motion as those equations live on two different manifolds.
    You did. See above.
    The analysis in section 2 is solely above the horizon.
    Exactly.
    You put the cart before the horse. When the escape velocity asymptotes to c, it is always less than c. Then there is no horizon, hence no “interior of the hole”. Only if the velocity did not asymptote to c in the charts of shell observers could there be a horizon.

The escape velocity asymptotes to c in the chart of the particle too, where the escape velocity at each altitude is the particle’s directly measured velocity relative to a shell observer passing directly by.
    This rings very strangely in my ear. What is your understanding of the word chart in differential geometry.
    You did. You took a subcovering of the manifold and used relations within the charts found within this subcovering to make a statement about the manifold in general.
    That puts the cart before the horse, as noted above.
    I'll wait for your definition of chart before I comment.
    Then they are incompatible.
    That's true but it isn't full incompatibility. You must understand that book is written for a certain audience. He is trying to get across the idea that QM and GR sound different. They are compatible in the sense that a Quantum Field Theory can be constructed on a curved spacetime. It isn't really clear if QM works down to that scale.
    Rather at the singularity both QM and GR are replaced by something else and in this sense they both give nonsense answers. (e.g. QFT for high momenta)

However in the regimes where they both work they can be used together.
    They are compatible, take the Unruh effect as an example.
    Incompatibility would be if no quantum systems could live on a non-Minkowskian metric.
    Break down = fail
    Although possibly the most rigorous pop-science book, black holes and time warps says certain things to make certain point easier and isn't a scientific text.
    General Relativity gives way to something else at the singularity, but this not some kind of break down. A break down would be if it had no analytic solution.

Son Goku wrote:
    I'm saying don't clog your argument with Popperian statements like:
    "Theories can never be proven", because they run a huge risk of destroying any scientific argument and turning it into an argument about science.

I wouldn’t say something like that. I said “theories are not proved”.
    Thorne doesn't really, I think he just uses it to make arguments easier. All of his papers centre on microlocal analysis so he has to take the rigorous definition. Same with Wheeler, if you have read MTW you'll see this. I can not comment on Taylor.

If Thorne “uses it”, then he does really, and yes presumably for convenience. It’s not something he says offhand; it’s a definition in his glossary. Likewise T&W in Exploring Black Holes apply the equivalence principle to inertial frames defined as negligibly imperfect.

I don’t intend to be more rigorous than T&W in Exploring Black Holes. That would be overkill. Their use of negligibly imperfect inertial frames yields negligibly inaccurate results. My paper is not intended for those who would find that book to be insufficiently rigorous.
    No. I can understand why this causes difficulty. Acceleration is local equivalent to gravity. An accelerating rocket will have a curved time like worldline in Minkowskian spacetime. However a rocket under gravitation will follow a geodesic in curved spacetime.
    For the gravitationally effected rocket, near an event "p" the worldline of the rocket will be similar to the worldline of an accelerating rocket in Minkowskian spacetime.
    It is in this sense that they are equivalent. However you cannot say they have the same equations of motion as those equations live on two different manifolds.

Now your argument is clear. You are saying that “equivalent” means only “similar”, not exactly equal, hence the equations of motion are not interchangeable among the two scenarios. (That’s all you needed to say!) That’s a bogus argument in my book; it’s nitpicking. The two scenarios only negligibly differ despite the “two different manifolds”. The relativistic rocket equations, when applied to the “gravitationally effected rocket”, will return negligibly inaccurate results in a local frame (the spacetime of which is negligibly curved by definition in my paper). My paper is not intended for those who would find that to be insufficiently rigorous.
    This rings very strangely in my ear. What is your understanding of the word chart in differential geometry.

The chart I referred to is simply an x-y plot of the particle’s directly measured velocity over a range of shell observers. More on this below.
    You did. You took a subcovering of the manifold and used relations within the charts found within this subcovering to make a statement about the manifold in general.

I don’t see where in my paper you think I do that (or where I “take what one observer sees and promote it to a global condition”), or where I have substituted “intuitive notions of speed”. Please quote from my paper exactly where you think I do that. The quote you gave above does neither that I can see.

The only measurements in section 2 are the particle’s directly measured velocities. When those velocities are plotted, section 2 shows that the resulting curve asymptotes to c. It doesn’t matter if the infalling particle measures it and plots it or if the shell observers each measure it and pool their results to plot it. The basic definition of an asymptote applies here: a line that draws increasingly nearer to a curve without ever meeting it (Encarta). When the escape velocity asymptotes to c then it is always less than c; that is, the curve of escape velocity draws increasingly nearer to the line v = c but never meets it. When escape velocity is always less than c then there is no horizon, because the horizon is by definition where the escape velocity is c. You seem to be insisting it’s there, in contradiction to the definitions of “asymptote” and “horizon”. That’s why I say that you put the cart before the horse.

In GR, the particle’s velocity does not asymptote to c. Rather its limit is c at the horizon. Fig. 2, eq. 4 shows that. In GR, above the Schwarzschild radius, eq. 4 gives the curve of the particle’s velocity.
    That's true but it isn't full incompatibility.

In the paper I say only that GR and QM are incompatible at a central singularity. And you agree. I don’t disagree that they are compatible elsewhere.
    General Relativity gives way to something else at the singularity, but this not some kind of break down. A break down would be if it had no analytic solution.

GR predicts that things fall to where it doesn’t work, to where infinities occur. It doesn’t predict that it gives way to something else there. Then it fails there, and it is flawed even if it does give way to something else there. A theory that is partly bogus is not fixed by creating another theory that takes over at the bogus part.

I wouldn’t say something like that. I said “theories are not proved”.
    Which is a Popperian statement and does not have a place in a scientific argument.
    I don’t intend to be more rigorous than T&W in Exploring Black Holes. That would be overkill.
    They aren't rigorous at all though. The text is pure pedagogy.
    My paper is not intended for those who would find that book to be insufficiently rigorous.
    That would be most physicists. I want you to tell me if you think there is something wrong with rigour.
    You are saying that “equivalent” means only “similar”, not exactly equal
    Equivalent means they are locally homotopic.
    That’s a bogus argument in my book; it’s nitpicking.
    Theoretical Physics is nitpicking, so you can't complain and my point is far from nitpicking it is fundamnetal to the construction of GR.
    Again this is a scientific argument, you don't get to say other arguments are nitpicking.
    The two scenarios only negligibly differ despite the “two different manifolds”.
    The two scenerios do not negligably differ. Locally they negligably differ in the sense that there is a homeomorphism from a subset M of Schwarzschild spacetime containing the gravitational worldline to a subset O of Minkowskian spacetime containing the world line of an accelerating observer.

Globally the are not even vaguely similar, this is not nitpicking.
    The relativistic rocket equations, when applied to the “gravitationally effected rocket”, will return negligibly inaccurate results in a local frame (the spacetime of which is negligibly curved by definition in my paper).
    Yes, but that is an infinitesmially local result. You can not build this up to form a complete picture for the entire spacetime.
    My paper is not intended for those who would find that to be insufficiently rigorous.
    It isn't rigorous at all.
    I don’t see where in my paper you think I do that (or where I “take what one observer sees and promote it to a global condition”), or where I have substituted “intuitive notions of speed”.
    It's done all over the paper and doing that is substituting inuitive notions of speed.
    Please quote from my paper exactly where you think I do that. The quote you gave above does neither that I can see.
    There is not a single use of differential geometry.
    The only measurements in section 2 are the particle’s directly measured velocities. When those velocities are plotted, section 2 shows that the resulting curve asymptotes to c. It doesn’t matter if the infalling particle measures it and plots it or if the shell observers each measure it and pool their results to plot it. The basic definition of an asymptote applies here: a line that draws increasingly nearer to a curve without ever meeting it (Encarta). When the escape velocity asymptotes to c then it is always less than c; that is, the curve of escape velocity draws increasingly nearer to the line v = c but never meets it. When escape velocity is always less than c then there is no horizon, because the horizon is by definition where the escape velocity is c. You seem to be insisting it’s there, in contradiction to the definitions of “asymptote” and “horizon”. That’s why I say that you put the cart before the horse.
    This is very hard to criticise because you are missing a lot of the basic notions of differential geometry. I could tell you what is wrong, but it'll take a while.
    A horizon is the boundary of the domain J-(I+) that can send future directed causal curves out to future null infinity.

You are working with a pared down version of General Relativity that allows for easy pedagogy, but unfortunatly doesn't emphasize the full differential geometric nature of the theory.
    GR predicts that things fall to where it doesn’t work, to where infinities occur. It doesn’t predict that it gives way to something else there. Then it fails there, and it is flawed even if it does give way to something else there. A theory that is partly bogus is not fixed by creating another theory that takes over at the bogus part.
    I am not claiming it is fixed or anything similar. I believe you may be unfamiliar with the common phrasings of physics. It fails in the Popperian sense, but it does not breakdown mathematically. This is what I am talking about, but it is tangential to your paper.

Son Goku wrote:
    Which is a Popperian statement and does not have a place in a scientific argument.

I believe it does have a place here when it simply shows that Birkhoff's theorem is immaterial to my paper.
    They aren't rigorous at all though. The text is pure pedagogy.
    That would be most physicists. I want you to tell me if you think there is something wrong with rigour.

There are different levels of rigor. Mathworld defines “rigorous” as “A proof or demonstration is said to be rigorous if the validity of each step and the connections between the steps is explicitly made clear in such a way that the result follows with certainty.” I think Exploring Black Holes largely meets that standard, starting from its givens like the Schwarzschild metric. If it didn’t then it wouldn’t be very pedagogical.

You can disagree with what “rigor” means, with whether there are different levels, or even with my application of Mathworld’s definition, but it wouldn’t matter. I don’t think there’s something inherently wrong with any level of rigor, but I do think the “rigor” to which you refer can be both overkill and blinding. You’re making a purist’s argument. You’re suggesting that if one does not meet your standard then one cannot make an advance in physics. But that is obviously false. (If a layman’s text on relativity had dropped out of the sky in 1900, do you think it would have been useless to physics?) Having such a viewpoint can cause one to miss the forest for the trees. I don’t disagree that most physicists might see it your way. My paper isn’t written for them.
    Again this is a scientific argument, you don't get to say other arguments are nitpicking.

Sure I do, when they clearly are. People can certainly nitpick in every sense of the word in a scientific argument.
    The two scenerios do not negligably differ. Locally they negligably differ ...

Globally the are not even vaguely similar, this is not nitpicking.

Section 1 is about a local scenario, a uniform gravitational field. Then “globally” is immaterial to that section. I said you were nitpicking because it seemed you were saying that negligibly different is too different.
    Yes, but that is an infinitesmially local result.

By “yes”, let’s be clear, you are agreeing that the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket are also those for a uniform gravitational field. Unless you want to nitpick that negligibly different is too different.

And note that section 1—without a “single use of differential geometry”—is by itself an advance of physics. You won’t find that information anywhere else.
    You can not build this up to form a complete picture for the entire spacetime.

I can, and I do in section 2.

At this point you have not disagreed with section 1, which shows that “directly measured free-fall velocity asymptotes to c in a uniform gravitational field”. Section 2, using the fact that “the particle always falls in a uniform gravitational field since a gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally” concludes that “the particle’s velocity as directly measured at each altitude asymptotes to c.” There is no logical way around that. Then section 2 uses a conclusion that applies locally to draw a conclusion that applies globally. Can you refute it?

Note that section 2 does not “take what one observer sees and promote it to a global condition”. Rather it takes what any observer measures locally and notes that it already applies locally everywhere; i.e. applies globally.
    It's done all over the paper and doing that is substituting inuitive notions of speed.
    There is not a single use of differential geometry.

I hope that your basis is really not the paper’s lack of differential geometry. That’s weak. A directly measured velocity is obviously not an intuitive notion of speed. I have always given you a strong basis for my points. So I request again, please quote from my paper exactly where you think I do that. Otherwise it sounds like you’re backpedaling.
    This is very hard to criticise because you are missing a lot of the basic notions of differential geometry. I could tell you what is wrong, but it'll take a while.
    A horizon is the boundary of the domain J-(I+) that can send future directed causal curves out to future null infinity.

Again you put the cart before the horse. You can’t use a horizon against an argument that purports it doesn’t exist. You first have to refute the basis for its nonexistence.

In general, you can’t refute an argument that something is “not so” by invoking it as if it is “so”. For example, if I claim that “birds can’t fly”, you don’t start out with “when birds fly...” Instead you start with something like “are you telling me that the bird in this picture is not flying?”
    You are working with a pared down version of General Relativity that allows for easy pedagogy, but unfortunatly doesn't emphasize the full differential geometric nature of the theory.

The texts I reference are immaterial here. We can understand each other without invoking details of differential geometry. (Like, you didn’t need to invoke “the worldline of the rocket” to make a point that turned out to be summarized as “Globally the are not even vaguely similar”—I would have grasped the summary.) All you need do is refute my claim that “the particle’s velocity as directly measured at each altitude asymptotes to c”, which is the basis for the rest of section 2. A horizon is irrelevant to that claim.
    I am not claiming it is fixed or anything similar. I believe you may be unfamiliar with the common phrasings of physics. It fails in the Popperian sense, but it does not breakdown mathematically. This is what I am talking about, but it is tangential to your paper.

I disagree that GR does not break down mathematically, but it is tangential, so I drop it.

Zanket wrote:
    I don’t think there’s something inherently wrong with any level of rigor, but I do think the “rigor” to which you refer can be both overkill and blinding. You’re making a purist’s argument. You’re suggesting that if one does not meet your standard then one cannot make an advance in physics. But that is obviously false. (If a layman’s text on relativity had dropped out of the sky in 1900, do you think it would have been useless to physics?) Having such a viewpoint can cause one to miss the forest for the trees. I don’t disagree that most physicists might see it your way. My paper isn’t written for them.
    No I'm saying one must reach a reasonable standard. I have argued with people who have made these comments before, particularly the one in bold, the argument invariably goes nowhere, because they have an inbuilt aversion to rigour.
    And papers aren't written for a specific audience, they written for the entire community or anybody who can understand the mathematics.
    By “yes”, let’s be clear, you are agreeing that the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket are also those for a uniform gravitational field.
    I'm not. They are locally homotopic in the sense that there is a homeomorphism from a subset M of Schwarzschild spacetime containing the gravitational worldline to a subset O of Minkowskian spacetime containing the world line of an accelerating observer.
    That is it and that is what relativity says.
    Section 2, using the fact that “the particle always falls in a uniform gravitational field since a gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally” concludes that “the particle’s velocity as directly measured at each altitude asymptotes to c.” There is no logical way around that. Then section 2 uses a conclusion that applies locally to draw a conclusion that applies globally. Can you refute it?
    I already have, but you continuously misunderstand what I'm saying.
    A collection of local results is not a global result.
    Rather it takes what any observer measures locally and notes that it already applies locally everywhere; i.e. applies globally.
    What?
    You can't do that. Local results can not be built up to global results on a curved manifold.
    I hope that your basis is really not the paper’s lack of differential geometry. That’s weak.
    General Relativity is a differential geometric theory. That would be equivalent to attacking Quantum Mechanics without any understanding of Hilbert Space or Operators.
    A directly measured velocity is obviously not an intuitive notion of speed. I have always given you a strong basis for my points. So I request again, please quote from my paper exactly where you think I do that. Otherwise it sounds like you’re backpedaling.
    You are using a collection of local measurements of speed to announce a general result for the entire spacetime.
    That cannot be done. Curved spacetimes don't have standard a standard t and (x,y,z)/(r,theta,phi) axis that allows that.
    Again you put the cart before the horse. You can’t use a horizon against an argument that purports it doesn’t exist. You first have to refute the basis for its nonexistence.
    My point is that (and this is what makes your argument difficult to criticise) is that your entire analysis makes no comments about the event horizon. You're argument is very difficult to understand because you're not actually criticising General Relativity. You have basic misconceptions of the concepts involved in General Relativity as well as its natural mathematical foundation. This leads me to believe that you do not fully understand what GR says.
    In general, you can’t refute an argument that something is “not so” by invoking it as if it is “so”. For example, if I claim that “birds can’t fly”, you don’t start out with “when birds fly...” Instead you start with something like “are you telling me that the bird in this picture is not flying?”
    What are you talking about?
    You're entire paper involves sellotaping a bunch of local results together in a way that cannot be done. I can show you why it cannot be done, but that will involve differential geometry.
    (Like, you didn’t need to invoke “the worldline of the rocket” to make a point that turned out to be summarized as “Globally the are not even vaguely similar”—I would have grasped the summary.)
    You still haven't grasped it though. And globally is a more advanced differential geometric term than worldline is. Worldline is a basic Special Relativistic term, where as Globally is quite technical.
    All you need do is refute my claim that “the particle’s velocity as directly measured at each altitude asymptotes to c”, which is the basis for the rest of section 2.
    A particles velocity measured by a shell observer as it falls from past infinity (for simplicity) will never be measured as being higher than c.
    Now, how does this show that there is no horizon when the shell observers only measure in the region r > 2M, which is an open set?

Zanket wrote:
    I believe it does have a place here when it simply shows that Birkhoff's theorem is immaterial to my paper.

It's not a constructive arguement. And for what it's worth, GR can be 'proved' if certain things are assumed to be true (equivalece principle, least action principle, etc) none of which you paper claims is wrong. When you say GR can't be proved, you are correct, at least in some sense, but you are missing the point that it can be proved (and has been proved) given the same basic assumptions as are taken for granted in your paper.
    Zanket wrote:
    There are different levels of rigor. Mathworld defines “rigorous” as “A proof or demonstration is said to be rigorous if the validity of each step and the connections between the steps is explicitly made clear in such a way that the result follows with certainty.” I think Exploring Black Holes largely meets that standard, starting from its givens like the Schwarzschild metric. If it didn’t then it wouldn’t be very pedagogical.

Rigorous, in a scientific context, essentially means loophole free.

Zanket wrote:
    Sure I do, when they clearly are. People can certainly nitpick in every sense of the word in a scientific argument.

He means that you can't complain about nitpicking. If someone is more rigorous than you, in scientific debate, then that is to be admired rather than shunned.

Zanket wrote:
    Section 1 is about a local scenario, a uniform gravitational field. Then “globally” is immaterial to that section. I said you were nitpicking because it seemed you were saying that negligibly different is too different.

Let's be clear about this. The Schwarzchild solution is _not_ a uniform gravitational field. The curvature is stronger near the singularities. You don't seem to be taking this into account in your rocket analogy, yet even Newton predicted this: g = G*M*m/r^2 (notice the r dependence).

Zanket wrote:
    By “yes”, let’s be clear, you are agreeing that the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket are also those for a uniform gravitational field. Unless you want to nitpick that negligibly different is too different.

Again see above. We are not talking about a uniform gravitational field.
    Zanket wrote:
    And note that section 1—without a “single use of differential geometry”—is by itself an advance of physics. You won’t find that information anywhere else.

No, you made far to many compounded mistakes for anyone else to have previously made exactly the same mistakes.

Sorry I'm tired. It's 2:30 here and I have to give a talk in the morning, so I can't get through the rest of the post tonight. But let me just leave you with this:
    Zanket wrote:
    I disagree that GR does not break down mathematically, but it is tangential, so I drop it.

The maths does not break down. The metric doesn't break down, the Riemann curvature tensor doesn't break, and the geodesic equations don't break. I put it to you that you don't know how to use differential geometry to do general relativity, and if this is the case you are unqualified to talk about whether or not the equations break down.

GR is self consistent, the problem is that it is not necessarily consistent with other theories.

Hi again Zanket,

You seem to have this very same discussion going on on many different message board (PhysOrgForum, sci.physics.relativity, physics forums, etc.), and don't seem to be taking any notice of the various flaws in your work being pointed out on them. In many cases you seem to be making contradictory claims.

For example, on sci.physics.relativity you say:
    No, look carefully; the analysis in section 2 is wholly above an event
    horizon. The flaw can be shown between any two altitudes above an event
    horizon.

while here you say:

and
    You can’t use a horizon against an argument that purports it doesn’t exist. You first have to refute the basis for its nonexistence.

I realise that you ave had a less than receptive audience in some of the other forums, and that some people have insulted you without attacking your arguement.

I can assure you that I will not do that, and I am sure neither will Son Goku. I would ask, however, that either you try to keep your arguement consistent, and that where you find an error you update your paper and arguements accordingly.

I've certainly made mistakes in papers, which have later had to be corrected when the referees pointed them out, as I'm sure have most physicists. There is no shame in admitting when you make a mistake, and being able to look critically at your own work is what separates scientists from crackpots (well, that and Baez's crackpot index :) ).

• Advertisement

Please note: I've been busy getting ready for a vacation. Rest assured I'll fully address the unanswered posts above when I get back (and thanks again for your comments). Until then I'll knock off this easy one:
    I would ask, however, that either you try to keep your arguement consistent, ...

There's no inconsistency in my statements. It's a confusion on your part. GR predicts horizons. If I am to show an inconsistency related to that, then "horizon" must be mentioned.

When I say "section 2 is wholly above an event horizon", that means it's above GR's predicted horizon. In that statement I am not using a horizon "against an argument that purports it doesn’t exist". Instead I am supporting such an argument.

Challengers to section 2 need to refute its basis that shows that GR also precludes horizons. (Yes, theories can be inconsistent like that.) When they don’t refute that basis but mention “horizon” in their argument against section 2, I will reasonably assume that they are putting the cart before the horse.
    ...and that where you find an error you update your paper and arguements accordingly.

You’ll note in sci.physics.relativity that I did just that. I always do, and I always offer to acknowledge those who find an error.

Well, have a good holiday.

I realise that theories can be inconsistant, as you describe, my point however is that GR is not one such theory. The field equations predict a single solution, and by the way GR is constructed, any other analysis using GR will yield the same result. You cannot contradict the spacetime predicted by GR using only GR (or in this case special relativity).

Zanket wrote:
    You’ll note in sci.physics.relativity that I did just that. I always do, and I always offer to acknowledge those who find an error.

I noticed you replaced 'limit' with 'asymptote', but I haven't seen any substantive change in the paper.

Son Goku wrote:
    No I'm saying one must reach a reasonable standard. I have argued with people who have made these comments before, particularly the one in bold, the argument invariably goes nowhere, because they have an inbuilt aversion to rigour.

Your standard is not reasonable. It’s not an aversion to rigor; rather, it’s an aversion to an argument that says the rigor must exceed what is necessary to show an advance of physics. You have not proven that your standard is necessary to show an advance of physics.
    And papers aren't written for a specific audience, they written for the entire community or anybody who can understand the mathematics.

Papers and any other text are written for the audience the author chooses. Mine is not written for those who think the rigor must exceed what is necessary to show an advance of physics. For example, mine is not written for those who would scoff at Einstein’s thought experiment showing relativity of simultaneity, simply because it has no math. By “not written for”, I mean that I expect to see no convincing arguments by those people that there is a problem with my paper along those lines.
    I'm not. They are locally homotopic in the sense that there is a homeomorphism from a subset M of Schwarzschild spacetime containing the gravitational worldline to a subset O of Minkowskian spacetime containing the world line of an accelerating observer.

Yes, you are, and your second sentence does not change that. You said “yes” to this:
    Zanket wrote:
    The relativistic rocket equations, when applied to the “gravitationally effected rocket”, will return negligibly inaccurate results in a local frame (the spacetime of which is negligibly curved by definition in my paper).

Then you clearly agreed that the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket are also those for a uniform gravitational field, unless you want to nitpick that negligibly inaccurate is too inaccurate.
    Son Goku wrote:
    I already have, but you continuously misunderstand what I'm saying.

You have not refuted it. Obviously, if it asymptotes to c locally everywhere, then it asymptotes to c globally. I have not misunderstood what you are saying. Rather, I have refuted your point.
    A collection of local results is not a global result.

For some types of local results that apply everywhere, a global result can be concluded. When every state or province has a speed limit of 100 kph or less, can I conclude that the maximum speed limit is 100 kph nationally? Yes I can.
    You can't do that. Local results can not be built up to global results on a curved manifold.

Local results are not “built up”. Rather, they apply locally everywhere, allowing a global result to be concluded. Simply declaring that this can’t be done is insufficient; i.e. your argument is not convincing. I have given an even simpler example showing that it can be done, about speed limits above. Can you refute it?
    General Relativity is a differential geometric theory. That would be equivalent to attacking Quantum Mechanics without any understanding of Hilbert Space or Operators.

A theory can be refuted by showing as little as a division-by-zero error. Do you disagree?
    My point is that (and this is what makes your argument difficult to criticise) is that your entire analysis makes no comments about the event horizon. You're argument is very difficult to understand because you're not actually criticising General Relativity.

An analysis that refutes the existence of an event horizon need not assume that an event horizon exists. In general, an analysis that refutes the existence of something need not assume that it exists. Section 2 does “criticize” GR—it shows that it is flawed, by showing that it both precludes and predicts event horizons, which is inconsistent.
    You have basic misconceptions of the concepts involved in General Relativity as well as its natural mathematical foundation. This leads me to believe that you do not fully understand what GR says.

You have not shown how. I have given clear examples against your points. Can you attack them directly instead of just questioning my understanding?
    What are you talking about?

There I’m giving a clear-cut example of putting the cart before the horse, to show what you are doing and how to correct it.
    You're entire paper involves sellotaping a bunch of local results together in a way that cannot be done.

Obviously not every part of the paper has something to do with local results. You’re generalizing. The only sections you’ve specifically mentioned are 1 and 2, and for those I’ve refuted your points. Can you refute my example about speed limits above? Until you can, I’m unlikely to be convinced that a local result that applies everywhere can never be used to conclude a global result.
    You still haven't grasped it though. And globally is a more advanced differential geometric term than worldline is. Worldline is a basic Special Relativistic term, where as Globally is quite technical.

You missed my point, which is that you’re being overly technical. You can make your points far more simply, and I request that you try to do that for the sake of this argument. For example, we don’t need differential geometry to discuss my example about speed limits. Einstein didn’t need differential geometry in his thought experiments; that would have been overkill.
    A particles velocity measured by a shell observer as it falls from past infinity (for simplicity) will never be measured as being higher than c.
    Now, how does this show that there is no horizon when the shell observers only measure in the region r > 2M, which is an open set?

Great! This is the way to argue against the paper.

That the velocity will “never be measured as being higher than c” by shell observers is irrelevant. That “shell observers only measure in the region r > 2M” is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the velocity asymptotes to c. Then escape velocity also asymptotes to c (because, as section 2 notes, GR says that “above the Schwarzschild radius the particle passes each altitude at a directly measured velocity equal to the escape velocity there”), in which case escape velocity is always less than c, and then there are no horizons.

I do not need to assume that a horizon exists at r = 2M. I do not need to analyze the region r <= 2M. The simple meaning of an asymptote applies here: a line not touched by a curve. Then when escape velocity asymptotes to c, it is never c; it does not touch the line v = c. Eq. 4 in fig. 2 shows clearly that GR also predicts that escape velocity does not asymptote to c. Rather, there it has a limit of c at r = 2M.

Suppose a theory contains the following statements:

- Birds can fly, but only above water.
    - Birds cannot fly at all.

Let a refutation of that theory show a picture of a bird flying above land. Is the refutation invalid because it ignores the “only above water” clause? Of course not. Rather, that clause is irrelevant, in the same way some of your clauses are. And yes, a simple bird theory example like this can make a logical, applicable point.

Well, have a good holiday.

Thanks! I did.
    It's not a constructive arguement.

You haven’t shown how.
    And for what it's worth, GR can be 'proved' if certain things are assumed to be true (equivalece principle, least action principle, etc) none of which you paper claims is wrong. When you say GR can't be proved, you are correct, at least in some sense, but you are missing the point that it can be proved (and has been proved) given the same basic assumptions as are taken for granted in your paper.

Even a paper that assumes a theory is fully correct cannot prove that it is valid. At best, such paper cannot disprove the theory. A paper can assume that certain things in a theory are valid, yet show that the theory is inconsistent. My paper does that. It does not assume that GR is fully correct.
    Rigorous, in a scientific context, essentially means loophole free.

Encyclopedic entries on rigor mention multiple levels. Some people expect more than just “loophole free”.
    He means that you can't complain about nitpicking. If someone is more rigorous than you, in scientific debate, then that is to be admired rather than shunned.

Being overly rigorous is not a trait to be admired or ignored. For example, someone who scoffs at Einstein’s relativity of simultaneity thought experiment, simply because it lacks math, does not make a convincing argument. Nor is nitpicking to be admired or ignored. For example, an argument that “negligibly different” is “too different” is not convincing.
    Let's be clear about this. The Schwarzchild solution is _not_ a uniform gravitational field.

Your point is irrelevant because section 1, the only section being discussed in the quote you gave, has nothing to do with Schwarzschild’s solution. That section references only a uniform gravitational field.
    Again see above. We are not talking about a uniform gravitational field.

We are, actually. Section 1, the only section being discussed in the quote you gave, is titled “Equations of Motion for a Uniform Gravitational Field”.
    No, you made far to many compounded mistakes for anyone else to have previously made exactly the same mistakes.

You haven’t shown any mistakes. I don’t know why you think section 1 has to do with a nonuniform field or Schwarzschild’s solution. It mentions neither.
    The maths does not break down. The metric doesn't break down, the Riemann curvature tensor doesn't break, and the geodesic equations don't break. I put it to you that you don't know how to use differential geometry to do general relativity, and if this is the case you are unqualified to talk about whether or not the equations break down.
    From T&W’s Exploring Black Holes, pg. 2-24:
    One cannot predict the future in the presence of a spacetime singularity since the Einstein equations and all the known laws of physics break down there. – Stephen Hawking
    From Thorne’s Black Holes & Time Warps, pg. 557:

Definition of “singularity”: A region of spacetime where spacetime curvature becomes so strong that the general relativistic laws break down

Hawking, Taylor, Thorne and Wheeler disagree with you. GR predicts that objects must fall to r = 0, where its own equations do not apply. The equation for escape velocity in GR is undefined at r = 0; the curve does not touch r = 0. That is a failure point. To understand that, one does not require knowledge of differential geometry.
    GR is self consistent, the problem is that it is not necessarily consistent with other theories.

You have not proven that GR is self-consistent. I have shown otherwise, and you have not refuted that.
    I realise that theories can be inconsistant, as you describe, my point however is that GR is not one such theory. The field equations predict a single solution, and by the way GR is constructed, any other analysis using GR will yield the same result.

Yes, Birkhoff’s theorem proves that GR’s field equations yield a single solution for Schwarzschild geometry. But that does not prove that GR is consistent. GR is more than just its field equations. For example, the equivalence principle stands alone. Birkhoff’s theorem does not prove that the field equations are consistent with the equivalence principle.
    You cannot contradict the spacetime predicted by GR using only GR (or in this case special relativity).

I can, if I can show an inconsistency within GR, which I do in sections 2 and 7.
    I noticed you replaced 'limit' with 'asymptote', but I haven't seen any substantive change in the paper.

I don’t know what your point is here. Replacing “limit” with “asymptote” is a substantive change. I was using the wrong terminology. I offered to acknowledge the person who pointed that out, who declined by omission.

Then you clearly agreed that the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket are also those for a uniform gravitational field, unless you want to nitpick that negligibly inaccurate is too inaccurate.
    I will say this once more.
    They are not negligibly equivalent, they are not totally equivalent, they are not drastically inequivalent.
    They are locally equivalent. Do you understand what this means?

If you do, explain what it means in your own words. It seems to me you still have not understood what I am saying.
    Obviously, if it asymptotes to c locally everywhere, then it asymptotes to c globally.
    No, it doesn't. I can show you Penrose's Proof, but I'll link to it in a seperate file.
    For some types of local results that apply everywhere, a global result can be concluded. When every state or province has a speed limit of 100 kph or less, can I conclude that the maximum speed limit is 100 kph nationally? Yes I can.
    This makes no sense as an analogy. The situations aren't even vaguely similar.
    Local results are not “built up”. Rather, they apply locally everywhere, allowing a global result to be concluded.
    You can't do that. That is the point. I can show you the proof that you can't do this if you wish. For instance in certain spacetimes energy is conserved everywhere locally, but not conserved globally.

Global isn't the "collection" of all locals.
    A theory can be refuted by showing as little as a division-by-zero error. Do you disagree?
    What does that mean?
    In general, an analysis that refutes the existence of something need not assume that it exists. Section 2 does “criticize” GR—it shows that it is flawed, by showing that it both precludes and predicts event horizons, which is inconsistent.
    You're arguement does not extend analytically to the required region to assert this.
    You have not shown how. I have given clear examples against your points. Can you attack them directly instead of just questioning my understanding?
    I have attacked them directly, but you keep saying very wierd off centre things that leads me to believe that you don't fully understand General Relativity.
    A lot of what you're saying is very hard to criticise because of this.
    You missed my point, which is that you’re being overly technical. You can make your points far more simply,
    I can't. You need the mathematics, that is simply the harsh fact.
    For example, we don’t need differential geometry to discuss my example about speed limits. Einstein didn’t need differential geometry in his thought experiments; that would have been overkill.
    He did need it to formulate his theory. His thought experiments were for his own head, not his papers.
    What is relevant is that the velocity asymptotes to c. Then escape velocity also asymptotes to c (because, as section 2 notes, GR says that “above the Schwarzschild radius the particle passes each altitude at a directly measured velocity equal to the escape velocity there”), in which case escape velocity is always less than c, and then there are no horizons.
    A single class of observers never sees the velocity exceed "c" how does that mean there is no horizon.

How can you build up single chart results like this?

Zanket wrote:
    Even a paper that assumes a theory is fully correct cannot prove that it is valid. At best, such paper cannot disprove the theory. A paper can assume that certain things in a theory are valid, yet show that the theory is inconsistent. My paper does that. It does not assume that GR is fully correct.

Either you don't understand me or you are deliberately misinterpreting me. Either way, it is hardly worth pusruing this point as it will only lead to you saying that a theory can never be proved.
    Zanket wrote:
    Encyclopedic entries on rigor mention multiple levels. Some people expect more than just “loophole free”.

Indeed. I was merely trying to give you a feel for what scientific rigor actually means.
    Zanket wrote:
    Being overly rigorous is not a trait to be admired or ignored. For example, someone who scoffs at Einstein’s relativity of simultaneity thought experiment, simply because it lacks math, does not make a convincing argument. Nor is nitpicking to be admired or ignored. For example, an argument that “negligibly different” is “too different” is not convincing.

This is complete drivel. If someone attains different results by being more rigorous, it is because you made a mistake in your analysis (i.e. some hidden assumption).

Zanket wrote:
    Your point is irrelevant because section 1, the only section being discussed in the quote you gave, has nothing to do with Schwarzschild’s solution. That section references only a uniform gravitational field.

Let me quote the first few lines of section 2 for you:
    Let a test particle fall radially from rest at infinity toward a large point mass. Section 1 shows that directly measured free-fall velocity asymptotes to c in a uniform gravitational field. The particle always falls in a uniform gravitational field since a gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally. Then the particle’s velocity as directly measured at each altitude asymptotes to c. General relativity says that above the Schwarzschild radius the particle passes each altitude at a directly measured velocity equal to the escape velocity there (3).

This clearly applies the 'uniform gravitational field' to the whole space. Which is wrong. Acceleration due to gravity changes with distance, even in a classical picture, and so you are building your arguement on faulty foundations. You cannot simply apply the equivalence to a rocket at every point and be considering the same rocket.
    Zanket wrote:
    We are, actually. Section 1, the only section being discussed in the quote you gave, is titled “Equations of Motion for a Uniform Gravitational Field”.

I think I've adequately showed this to be blatently false.
    Zanket wrote:
    You haven’t shown any mistakes. I don’t know why you think section 1 has to do with a nonuniform field or Schwarzschild’s solution. It mentions neither.
    Zanket wrote:
    Hawking, Taylor, Thorne and Wheeler disagree with you. GR predicts that objects must fall to r = 0, where its own equations do not apply. The equation for escape velocity in GR is undefined at r = 0; the curve does not touch r = 0. That is a failure point. To understand that, one does not require knowledge of differential geometry.

You're quoting pop sci at me (which I think is explicitly forbidden in threads marked technical, but which I'm willing to ignore). The trouble with this sort of thing is that peoples comments are taken out of context. I assume what they are refering to is the fact that you cannot get rid of a physical singularity by making a coordinate transformation.

You've also completely misunderstood the point. You cannot get from r=0 out. Why do you think you should be able to? Why would that make it a point of failure. The reason the escape velocity is undefined is because there is no escape velocity.
    Zanket wrote:
    You have not proven that GR is self-consistent. I have shown otherwise, and you have not refuted that.

Almost every line of every post I have written on this topic as been refuting your claims.
    Zanket wrote:
    Yes, Birkhoff’s theorem proves that GR’s field equations yield a single solution for Schwarzschild geometry. But that does not prove that GR is consistent. GR is more than just its field equations. For example, the equivalence principle stands alone. Birkhoff’s theorem does not prove that the field equations are consistent with the equivalence principle.

Please show me where I have, even once, invoked Birkoff's theorem.
    Zanket wrote:
    I can, if I can show an inconsistency within GR, which I do in sections 2 and 7.

No, as I have repeatedly said, you have not shown this because you proof is seriously flawed.
    Zanket wrote:
    I don’t know what your point is here. Replacing “limit” with “asymptote” is a substantive change. I was using the wrong terminology. I offered to acknowledge the person who pointed that out, who declined by omission.

Oh, come on!

Zanket wrote:
    Obviously not every part of the paper has something to do with local results. You’re generalizing. The only sections you’ve specifically mentioned are 1 and 2, and for those I’ve refuted your points. Can you refute my example about speed limits above? Until you can, I’m unlikely to be convinced that a local result that applies everywhere can never be used to conclude a global result.

I can. Different parts of the nation are at different heights (like mountains and valleys which have slightly different gravitational fields) and different lattitudes (which are revolving at different speeds, due to the earths rotation) as such, if I stand in certain places, I can see cars breaking the speen limit, even though for an observer standing at the side of the road (just like your shell observers) the cars appear to be sticking to the speed limit. So putting together all the observations from observers very near the car does not explain why I see a different velocity, and so does not give a global description. This is exactly the same mistake you are making in your paper.

Son Goku wrote:
    They are locally equivalent. Do you understand what this means?

Given the definitions of “local”, “flat spacetime”, and “uniform gravitational field” in my paper, the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket, when applied to a uniform gravitational field, return results that are negligibly inaccurate. Then it is valid to conclude that the equations of motion for a relativistic rocket are also those for a uniform gravitational field.
    No, it doesn't. I can show you Penrose's Proof, but I'll link to it in a seperate file.

Which Penrose’s Proof? The first one I see involves artificial intelligence; i.e. it is inapplicable to this topic.
    This makes no sense as an analogy. The situations aren't even vaguely similar.

The analogy is apt. But here’s one closer to home: A nonuniform gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally. Then, given that the particle falls in a uniform gravitational field, I can conclude that it falls in a nonuniform field as well; i.e. across any range of r-coordinates.
    You can't do that. That is the point. I can show you the proof that you can't do this if you wish. For instance in certain spacetimes energy is conserved everywhere locally, but not conserved globally.

I just showed that I can do that, with the analogy above. But please show me a proof that I can’t do this.

I don’t deny that some types of local results cannot be used to conclude a global result.
    What does that mean?

This: You suggest that one cannot attack “Quantum Mechanics without any understanding of Hilbert Space or Operators”. But that’s obviously wrong, because a theory can be refuted by showing as little as a division-by-zero error.
    You're arguement does not extend analytically to the required region to assert this.

Below I show that, to assert this, the argument need not extend to the region <= the Schwarzschild radius.
    I have attacked them directly, but you keep saying very wierd off centre things that leads me to believe that you don't fully understand General Relativity.

I don’t think a comment like “I can show you Penrose's Proof”, for example, represents a direct attack. I don’t see where you have attacked them directly. You have only alluded to problems.
    I can't. You need the mathematics, that is simply the harsh fact.

That isn’t so. Taylor and Wheeler in Exploring Black Holes make their points far more simply than you do, and the book is not overly simplified so as to mislead. And you have sometimes simplified your own points.
    His thought experiments were for his own head, not his papers.

They were not only for his head, but also for his books. They would have advanced physics by themselves, regardless whether his papers excluded them.
    A single class of observers never sees the velocity exceed "c" how does that mean there is no horizon.

How can you build up single chart results like this?

The observer need only be the particle, measuring the velocity v of objects fixed at each altitude as they pass directly by. I changed the paper to enforce that, since it simplifies the visualization so that there is only one chart, the particle’s. And by “chart” I mean a plot of the curve of v as a function of r. As the paper says, “Section 1 shows that directly measured free-fall velocity asymptotes to c in a uniform gravitational field. Then v asymptotes to c locally. The particle always falls in a uniform gravitational field since a gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally. Then v always asymptotes to c; i.e. it asymptotes to c across any range of r-coordinates.” The exact value of v is irrelevant. All that matters is that v asymptotes to c in the particle’s chart.

When v asymptotes to c in the particle’s chart in any region above the Schwarzschild radius, even just between my head and my feet, it is then known that event horizons are precluded. That is because the simple meaning of an asymptote applies here: a line that draws increasingly nearer to a curve without ever meeting it. Then v is always less than c, and GR tells us that escape velocity shares the same curve. Hence escape velocity is always less than c, and so there are no event horizons. It doesn’t matter that GR tells us that escape velocity shares the same curve only above the Schwarzschild radius—that is enough to conclude that the curve of escape velocity has an asymptote at v = c, hence it is enough to preclude event horizons. Then I am free to ignore the region <= the Schwarzschild radius, and I have shown that “the argument need not extend to the region <= the Schwarzschild radius”.

• Advertisement

Either you don't understand me or you are deliberately misinterpreting me. Either way, it is hardly worth pusruing this point as it will only lead to you saying that a theory can never be proved.

I would not deliberately misinterpret you; I don’t play that game. It’s hard to understand you when you make contradictory or at least vague statements like “GR can't be proved, you are correct, at least in some sense, but you are missing the point that it can be proved (and has been proved) ...” Whatever proof you are talking about, it doesn’t affect my paper that you have shown. You haven’t shown proof that GR is consistent, for example.
    This is complete drivel. If someone attains different results by being more rigorous, it is because you made a mistake in your analysis (i.e. some hidden assumption).

Someone who shows a “mistake” in my analysis by, say, claiming simply that thought experiments are not rigorous because they lack math, is not making a rigorous argument, because the claim is made without basis; the argument is not loophole free. And I say that such claim suggests a false requirement that one must be overly rigorous, because a thought experiment can be rigorous, and there is no need to be more than loophole free.

Nobody in this thread attained different results than me by being “more rigorous”. Rather different results were stated without a basis given, or else I have pointed out a loophole. That is, the arguments against the paper are not rigorous. I give an example of that below.
    Let me quote the first few lines of section 2 for you:

Okay, but let’s be clear that you change the subject here midstream. You previously quoted and attacked section 1, yet here, in response to my quote saying that your attack does not apply to section 1, you quote section 2.
    This clearly applies the 'uniform gravitational field' to the whole space. Which is wrong. Acceleration due to gravity changes with distance, even in a classical picture, and so you are building your arguement on faulty foundations. You cannot simply apply the equivalence to a rocket at every point and be considering the same rocket.

Well, it’s a test particle, not a rocket. In some cases one can use results of a uniform gravitational field to make a conclusion about the “whole space”. The situation in section 2 is one of those cases. A simple example: A nonuniform gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally. Then, given that the particle falls in a uniform gravitational field, I can conclude that it falls in a nonuniform field as well. Can you disprove that? Notice that it is irrelevant to my conclusion that “Acceleration due to gravity changes with distance”. That is likewise irrelevant in section 2.

(This is an example of where I have found a loophole in your argument, showing that it is not rigorous.)
    I think I've adequately showed this to be blatently false.

Not so. You previously quoted section 1, which has nothing to do with a nonuniform field as you suggested. Your argument above, which I refuted by finding a loophole, is about section 2.
    You're quoting pop sci at me (which I think is explicitly forbidden in threads marked technical, but which I'm willing to ignore). The trouble with this sort of thing is that peoples comments are taken out of context. I assume what they are refering to is the fact that you cannot get rid of a physical singularity by making a coordinate transformation.

I reject the notion that it’s pop science. I don’t believe that four top-notch physicists would say or quote the clause “break down” when it’s really the opposite. I don’t believe, for example, that Hawking would say that “the Einstein equations and all the known laws of physics break down there” when he really believes that they work fine there. Not everything that physicists say outside of a paper is automatically pop science. I see lots of papers on Google Scholar that use “break down” or “breakdown” in the same context. Are they all pop science too?
    You've also completely misunderstood the point. You cannot get from r=0 out. Why do you think you should be able to? Why would that make it a point of failure. The reason the escape velocity is undefined is because there is no escape velocity.

You make a logical mistake here. When the “escape velocity is undefined” at r=0, you cannot conclude that I “cannot get from r=0 out”. What is your basis for that? GR says nothing about whether one can escape from r=0. So the real question is, why do you think I should not be able to? I’ve not said that I should be able to; I’ve said only that the escape velocity is undefined there.

The central singularity is a failure point because GR interprets that all objects at and below the Schwarzschild radius must fall to r=0, where its own equations, like for escape velocity, do not apply.
    Almost every line of every post I have written on this topic as been refuting your claims.

You have not proven that GR is self-consistent; you’ve only alluded to a proof. And I have otherwise refuted all of your refutations of my claims.
    Please show me where I have, even once, invoked Birkoff's theorem.

You have not invoked it by name. But Birkoff's theorem is the only proof that “the schwarzchild solution is unique” that I know of. If that’s not what you meant, then what did you mean?
    No, as I have repeatedly said, you have not shown this because you proof is seriously flawed.

You haven’t shown how it is flawed, that I have not refuted.
    Oh, come on!

Come on, what? I still don’t know what your point is there. Please enlighten me.
    I can. Different parts of the nation are at different heights (like mountains and valleys which have slightly different gravitational fields) and different lattitudes (which are revolving at different speeds, due to the earths rotation) as such, if I stand in certain places, I can see cars breaking the speen limit, even though for an observer standing at the side of the road (just like your shell observers) the cars appear to be sticking to the speed limit. So putting together all the observations from observers very near the car does not explain why I see a different velocity, and so does not give a global description.

My analogy refers only to speed limits (like the value on the signs), not the speeds of the cars.
    This is exactly the same mistake you are making in your paper.

Section 2 explicitly refers to only directly measured velocities. So the “mistake” doesn’t apply to it.

Zanket wrote:
    Which Penrose’s Proof? The first one I see involves artificial intelligence; i.e. it is inapplicable to this topic.
    Zanket, physics is not searching things on google. Roger Penrose is one of the world's best General Relativists. He made several contributions to GR during the 60s.
    But more importantly......
    That isn’t so.
    It is so.
    You have said that a theory can be proven incorrect by a single division by zero error. This shows a gross misunderstanding of mathematics as used in physics.
    It also shows a gross misunderstanding of 1/0, which mearly implies a topological gap.
    There are millions of functions which lead to 1/0. This is useful, for instance in complex analysis. Particularly contour integration and Laurent series where it is totally expected in most of the functions you work with. There is nothing wrong with 1/0.

For instance the integral of 1/{z(z-2)^4} is -iπ/8, because there are 1/0 points at z = 0 + 0i and z = 2 + 0i. If there weren't the integral would be 0.
    Integrals like this come up all the time in QFT. There is nothing wrong with 1/0. It cannot be used to refute a theory. That you think it can shows you have no knowledge of analysis.
    The very area of mathematics needed for your paper.
    The observer need only be the particle,
    Wait a second. The method in your paper only works for shell observers, it doesn't work for geodesic observers like the particle.
    i.e. your method only works for people who don't fall into the hole. What the particle experiences is completely different to what shell observers predict.

The particle doesn't see itself as moving at all. v doesn't asymptote at all to him.
    And a series of shell observers who follow the particle as it falls, don't give the same results as the particle, because they have a boosted frame.
    “Section 1 shows that directly measured free-fall velocity asymptotes to c in a uniform gravitational field. Then v asymptotes to c locally.
    Directly measured free-fall velocity asymptotes to c in a nonuniform gravitational field as measured by shell observers. This says nothing about velocity locally in the particles own frame or about the existence of horizons globally.
    Why do you think it does?

Son Goku wrote:
    Zanket, physics is not searching things on google. Roger Penrose is one of the world's best General Relativists. He made several contributions to GR during the 60s.

Why digress? Again I ask, which Penrose’s Proof?

Alternatively, just give me any proof that my example above doesn’t work, the example that shows that a local result that applies everywhere can be used to conclude a global result, refuting your claim to the contrary.
    It is so.
    You have said that a theory can be proven incorrect by a single division by zero error. This shows a gross misunderstanding of mathematics as used in physics.
    It also shows a gross misunderstanding of 1/0, which mearly implies a topological gap.

If the division by zero is not problematic, then it is not a division-by-zero error, i.e. the kind that leads to untenable false results or absurdities. Division by zero is not okay or tenable in every case.
    There is nothing wrong with 1/0. It cannot be used to refute a theory. That you
    think it can shows you have no knowledge of analysis.

I didn’t say “1/0”. I said “division-by-zero error”, which can be used to refute a theory.
    Wait a second. The method in your paper only works for shell observers, it doesn't work for geodesic observers like the particle.
    i.e. your method only works for people who don't fall into the hole. What the particle experiences is completely different to what shell observers predict.

What do you think “the method” is? If I want the particle to measure the velocity v of objects fixed at each altitude as they pass directly by, that’s my prerogative. It’s my thought experiment. What shell observers predict is immaterial. They don’t measure anything in my thought experiment
    The particle doesn't see itself as moving at all. v doesn't asymptote at all to him.

The particle doesn’t have to see itself moving. v, the velocity the particle measures of objects fixed at each altitude as they pass directly by, does asymptote to c, for the reasons given in the paper. Can you refute it?

Note that in fig. 1, v asymptotes to c in the frame of the gantry, the observer in free fall.
    And a series of shell observers who follow the particle as it falls, don't give the same results as the particle, because they have a boosted frame.
    Directly measured free-fall velocity asymptotes to c in a nonuniform gravitational field as measured by shell observers.

Shell observers don’t measure anything in my thought experiment. Even if they did measure something, their results would be immaterial.
    This says nothing about velocity locally in the particles own frame or about the existence of horizons globally.
    Why do you think it does?

I don't suggest that it does.

Zanket wrote:
    My analogy refers only to speed limits (like the value on the signs), not the speeds of the cars.

Section 2 explicitly refers to only directly measured velocities. So the “mistake” doesn’t apply to it.

Ok. Speed limits. Given the different reference frames mentioned in my original post about your analogy, different observers interpret the speed limits differently. The speed (magnitude of velocity) of some object (car, whatever) measured by someone beside the sign will be different from someone who is observing from the top of a nearby hill. So your analogy completely neglects the curvature of the space (ie hills and valleys which will correspond to different reference frames due to the slight differences in the earths gravitstional attraction).

The is EXACTLY the mistake you are making in your paper. You are taking these locally measured velocities and throwing out any notion that the space may not be flat.

Zanket wrote:
    The particle doesn’t have to see itself moving. v, the velocity the particle measures of objects fixed at each altitude as they pass directly by, does asymptote to c, for the reasons given in the paper. Can you refute it?
    Of course because to hold themselves at a constant altitude they have to thrust upward at a constant rate, which gets higher and higher as you get closer to the horizon. At the horizon the velocity required is c. After the horizon this concept loses meaning as t and r interchange, i.e. after the horizon the velocity doesn't exist.
    Why do you think this means there is no event horizon?
    The whole point of the event horizon, in fact its loose definition is that within it you would require a velocity greater than c to stay at a constant r, because r becomes timelike.
    Therefore you can't measure the escape velocity within the event horizon using other objects because no object can maintain that velocity.

Just because no observer can attain the escape velocity does not mean it has exceeded c.
    It asymptotes to c up to the horizon and then surpasses it. The only difference is that before the horizon material objects can match the escape velocity.

The whole point of the inside of the hole is that nobody can attain the escape velocity.

Zanket wrote:
    I would not deliberately misinterpret you; I don’t play that game. It’s hard to understand you when you make contradictory or at least vague statements like “GR can't be proved, you are correct, at least in some sense, but you are missing the point that it can be proved (and has been proved) ...” Whatever proof you are talking about, it doesn’t affect my paper that you have shown. You haven’t shown proof that GR is consistent, for example.

The entire derivation of the field equations gives testament to this.

Zanket wrote:
    Someone who shows a “mistake” in my analysis by, say, claiming simply that thought experiments are not rigorous because they lack math, is not making a rigorous argument, because the claim is made without basis; the argument is not loophole free. And I say that such claim suggests a false requirement that one must be overly rigorous, because a thought experiment can be rigorous, and there is no need to be more than loophole free.

Not if the thought experiment was massively flawed by their complete lack of understanding of the theory they claim to be debunking.
    Zanket wrote:
    Nobody in this thread attained different results than me by being “more rigorous”. Rather different results were stated without a basis given, or else I have pointed out a loophole. That is, the arguments against the paper are not rigorous. I give an example of that below.

You were arguing against the merits of rigor. I was countering your arguement
    Zanket wrote:
    Okay, but let’s be clear that you change the subject here midstream. You previously quoted and attacked section 1, yet here, in response to my quote saying that your attack does not apply to section 1, you quote section 2.

No, I'm not. You claimed that you only used those equations in section 1, and hence claimed that my criticism didn't apply to section 2, both of which are blatently untrue.
    Zanket wrote:
    Well, it’s a test particle, not a rocket. In some cases one can use results of a uniform gravitational field to make a conclusion about the “whole space”. The situation in section 2 is one of those cases. A simple example: A nonuniform gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally. Then, given that the particle falls in a uniform gravitational field, I can conclude that it falls in a nonuniform field as well. Can you disprove that? Notice that it is irrelevant to my conclusion that “Acceleration due to gravity changes with distance”. That is likewise irrelevant in section 2.

Yes I can.

Velocity for a particle falling from rest at infinite distance under a uniform gravitational field (i.e. constant force = m g):

Potential energy = mgh (for height h)

For a field obeying Newtonian gravitation (i.e. non-uniform) F = G m M / r^2

Porential energy = -GMm/h

so if the particle is let drop it reaches different velocities as its potential energy is converted to kinetic.

• Advertisement

Ok. Speed limits. Given the different reference frames mentioned in my original post about your analogy, different observers interpret the speed limits differently. The speed (magnitude of velocity) of some object (car, whatever) measured by someone beside the sign will be different from someone who is observing from the top of a nearby hill. So your analogy completely neglects the curvature of the space (ie hills and valleys which will correspond to different reference frames due to the slight differences in the earths gravitstional attraction).

Above I emphasized to you that my analogy refers only to speed limits (like the value on the signs), not the speeds of the cars. Those were my exact words, and their meaning is clear. Yet here you again mention the speed of a “car, whatever”, again taking the analogy out of context. Different observers do not interpret the speed limits differently. Every observer (distant, local, moving, or whatever) sees the same speed limit on the signs. For example, if the posted speed limit is 100 kph, every observer sees the value “100” on the sign. Nobody sees “50”, say, simply because the sign reads “100”, not “50”.
    The is EXACTLY the mistake you are making in your paper. You are taking these locally measured velocities and throwing out any notion that the space may not be flat.

Section 2 of the paper does not throw out “out any notion that the space may not be flat”. Rather, that spacetime is curved along the particle’s path does not affect the conclusion, just as it doesn’t affect the conclusion in the second analogy I gave; more on that below.
    The entire derivation of the field equations gives testament to this.

Einstein’s field equations are not derived, as I note in the paper (and give a reference for) near the bottom of section 3. The equivalence principle and special relativity stand alone, independent of the field equations. The field equations are supposedly compatible with them, but there is no proof of that. Even for derived field equations that match Einstein’s, my paper would show that they are not derived correctly.
    Not if the thought experiment was massively flawed by their complete lack of understanding of the theory they claim to be debunking.

No, even for a hypothetical massively flawed thought experiment, an argument that claims simply that thought experiments are not rigorous because they lack math, is not making a rigorous argument, because the claim is made without basis; the argument is not loophole free. Such argument does not even refer to a specific thought experiment.
    You were arguing against the merits of rigor. I was countering your argument

No I did not argue against the merits of rigor. Above I said, “I don’t think there’s something inherently wrong with any level of rigor”. I was arguing against a nonrigorous argument that “suggests a false requirement that one must be overly rigorous”.
    No, I'm not. You claimed that you only used those equations in section 1, and hence claimed that my criticism didn't apply to section 2, both of which are blatently untrue.

Nowhere did I claim that I “only used those equations in section 1”. Quote me otherwise.

Your criticism initially quoted only section 1, saying, for example, “We are not talking about a uniform gravitational field”. But section 1 is only about a gravitational field that is uniform. When I called you on that, you switched to section 2. You did change the subject midstream. If you were talking about section 2 initially then you should have quoted section 2 initially.
    so if the particle is let drop it reaches different velocities as its potential energy is converted to kinetic.

That the particle “reaches different velocities” does not refute my conclusion that the particle “falls in a nonuniform field as well”. My conclusion clearly does not claim or imply that the particle cannot reach different velocities. That spacetime is curved along the particle’s path does not affect my conclusion.

I have to say, you have taken so many of my comments out of context that it seems it may be a deliberate method of arguing. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I respectfully ask that you read my comments more closely before commenting.

Son Goku wrote:
    Just because no observer can attain the escape velocity does not mean it has exceeded c.
    It asymptotes to c up to the horizon and then surpasses it. The only difference is that before the horizon material objects can match the escape velocity.

You violate the definition of an asymptote. A velocity cannot asymptote to a value and then surpass it. Again I note, the simple meaning of an asymptote applies here: a line that draws increasingly nearer to a curve without ever meeting it. When v asymptotes to c, the line, the asymptote, is v = c. Then the curve of v as a function of r has an asymptote at v = c, in which case v is always less than c, and GR tells us that escape velocity shares the same curve. Hence escape velocity is always less than c, and so there are no event horizons. It doesn’t matter that GR tells us that escape velocity shares the same curve only above the Schwarzschild radius—that is enough to conclude that the curve of escape velocity has an asymptote at v = c, hence it is enough to preclude event horizons. Then I am free to ignore the region r <= the Schwarzschild radius.

Rather, that spacetime is curved along the particle’s path does not affect the conclusion
    You are ignoring the issue of the curvature of spacetime in a paper attempting to disprove General Relativity?
    General Relativity is all about the curvature of spacetime.
    You violate the definition of an asymptote.
    Assymptote's are defined within open sets.
    It asymptotes up to the event horizon. However in general, looking at the whole space there is no asymptote. I'm trying to get you to see this.
    Zanket wrote:
    It doesn’t matter that GR tells us that escape velocity shares the same curve only above the Schwarzschild radius—that is enough to conclude that the curve of escape velocity has an asymptote at v = c, hence it is enough to preclude event horizons. Then I am free to ignore the region r <= the Schwarzschild radius.
    No your not. Why do you think you are? This is really flawed reasoning.
    Escape velocity is a totally Newtonian concept, it is no surprise that it is not defined after the horizon.
    You are using intuitive notions of speed, such as escape velocities to a manifold where the concept can only be used up to a certain point.
    And no it is not okay because your analysis only goes up to that point.
    Also remember that at the horizon the escape velocity is c. It only asymptotes up to the horizon. If you include the horizon, it doesn't asymptote.

This is equivalent to saying that Quantum Mechanics is disproven because angular momentum shouldn't have certain values based on Newtonian mechanics in the Hydrogen Atom.

I don't understand why you think it is something amazing or profound that escape velocity never exceeds c above the horizon.

Zanket wrote:
    Above I emphasized to you that my analogy refers only to speed limits (like the value on the signs), not the speeds of the cars. Those

were my exact words, and their meaning is clear. Yet here you again mention the speed of a “car, whatever”, again taking the analogy out of context. Different observers do not interpret the speed limits differently. Every observer (distant, local, moving, or whatever) sees the same speed limit on the signs. For example, if the posted speed limit is 100 kph, every observer sees the value “100” on the sign. Nobody sees “50”, say, simply because the sign reads “100”, not “50”.

Ok, if you are only talking about numbers painted on signs, then my arguement is inapplicable, but we are nolonger dealing with something analogous to your paper. Since you refered to it as an analogy, the obvious choice is to consider observers at different locations, each one trying to enforce the speed limit. As far as I can see, that is the only analogy that makes any kind of sense. In this case, my arguement does hold.

Either way, it is the mistake you are making. You are just throwing out information about the gravitational field by saying "a non-uniform field is locally uniform everywhere". You are removing all the curvature and simply imposing a constant radial force. This is not how gravity behaves.
    Zanket wrote:
    Section 2 of the paper does not throw out “out any notion that the space may not be flat”. Rather, that spacetime is curved along the particle’s path does not affect the conclusion, just as it doesn’t affect the conclusion in the second analogy I gave; more on that below.

Yes, it does affect it, and this is where you are getting errors.
    Zanket wrote:
    Einstein’s field equations are not derived, as I note in the paper (and give a reference for) near the bottom of section 3. The equivalence principle and special relativity stand alone, independent of the field equations. The field equations are supposedly compatible with them, but there is no proof of that. Even for derived field equations that match Einstein’s, my paper would show that they are not derived correctly.

I beg to differ. The equations are derived from the equivalence principle and the least action principle (the latter holds in Newtonian physics too).
    Zanket wrote:
    No, even for a hypothetical massively flawed thought experiment, an argument that claims simply that thought experiments are not rigorous because they lack math, is not making a rigorous argument, because the claim is made without basis; the argument is not loophole free. Such argument does not even refer to a specific thought experiment.

The arguement is that the tought experiment is massively flawed. The fact that it lacks rigor is just an obstacle in seeing the flaws. Its much harder to point to a specific line in a very hand-wavy paper than in a rigorous one.
    Zanket wrote:
    Nowhere did I claim that I “only used those equations in section 1”. Quote me otherwise.

With pleasure:

"Your point is irrelevant because section 1, the only section being discussed in the quote you gave, has nothing to do with Schwarzschild’s solution. That section references only a uniform gravitational field." - Zanket
    Zanket wrote:
    Your criticism initially quoted only section 1, saying, for example, “We are not talking about a uniform gravitational field”. But section 1 is only about a gravitational field that is uniform. When I called you on that, you switched to section 2. You did change the subject midstream. If you were talking about section 2 initially then you should have quoted section 2 initially.

No I didn't. First you started telling me that my arguement only applies to section 1, which is demonstrably, as I have shown, false. Section 2 contains the problems, and when I point this out you claim I'm changing the subject. So deep in this thread the only people likely to read the discussion are you, me and Son Goku. I'm trying to be helpful, and I have nothing to gain by shooting down arguements if they are correct. The problem is that yours aren't.

Zanket wrote:
    That the particle “reaches different velocities” does not refute my conclusion that the particle “falls in a nonuniform field as well”. My conclusion clearly does not claim or imply that the particle cannot reach different velocities. That spacetime is curved along the particle’s path does not affect my conclusion.

You completely neglect curvature. You claim that doing so makes no difference. What I presented is a counter example. A very simple case in which your assumptions are clearly shown to be false.
    Zanket wrote:
    I have to say, you have taken so many of my comments out of context that it seems it may be a deliberate method of arguing. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I respectfully ask that you read my comments more closely before commenting.

Zanket, I have absolutely nothing to gain by taking your comments out of context. I have nothing to prove here. I am only trying to help you. There are clear mistakes in the paper, and I am trying to point these out, so that you can learn from them.

If I have taken comments out of the context you intended it is only because I am unclear on what you mean by many of your statements. Your style of writing is very opaque and it is difficult to try to extract a coherent arguement.

Zanket wrote:
    You violate the definition of an asymptote. A velocity cannot asymptote to a value and then surpass it.

Actually it can. This happens at singularities. You have a function which is analytic everywhere except at these singularities, and so is defined over the domain except at these points.

A very simple example is f(x) = 1/x. This has an assymptote at 0, but is defined on both sides of x=0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

So deep in this thread the only people likely to read the discussion are you, me and Son Goku.

Actually Im quite enjoying having 10 years of dust blown off my physics knowledge - carry on lads. :D

If its not off topic (if it is please delete this) can I check my understanding of your critiques of Zankets Document.

1. Zanket is trying to extrapolate a Newtonian scenario, involving special relativity over to General Relativity by essentially summing over all possible SR scenarios?

2. Zankets use and understanding of Frames of Reference is flawed?

Please correct me if Im wrong - by PM if this is off topic.

1. Zanket is trying to extrapolate a Newtonian scenario, involving special relativity over to General Relativity by essentially summing over all possible SR scenarios?

Essentially, yes. Number 1 in particular is a very deep flaw.

Hi secret squirrel,

Guess I was wrong after all.
    Actually Im quite enjoying having 10 years of dust blown off my physics knowledge - carry on lads. :D

If its not off topic (if it is please delete this) can I check my understanding of your critiques of Zankets Document.

Please correct me if Im wrong - by PM if this is off topic.

Essentially Zanket's paper attempts to show a flaw in the Schwarzchild solution. The Scwarzchild solution is, according to general relativity the only spherically symmetric, assymptotically flat space time, describing the curvature of space around stars, planets and black holes. Zanket attempts to show that this is not a unique solution by making arguements from special relativity only, without resorting to general realtivity. If this were correct it would show some inconsistency in the field equations.

In his paper, Zanket considers the velocity of a passing particle as measured by observers sitting at fixed distances from the central mass. He argues that the particle never has a velocity greater than light for any of these 'shell observers' and hence there is no event horizon (i.e. black holes don't exist).

The major flaw in this reasoning is the fact that a) Zanket tries to extrapolate the entire space-time from the measurements of shell observers, and b) the curvature of the space is completely ignored (see all the comments along the lines of "a non-uniform field is everywhere local"). Neither of these can be done (although Zanket will no doubt claim that I am wrong about this).

Hope this was a clear enough summary.

Son Goku wrote:
    You are ignoring the issue of the curvature of spacetime in a paper attempting to disprove General Relativity?
    General Relativity is all about the curvature of spacetime.

Let’s review my quote you responded to here:
    Zanket wrote:
    Rather, that spacetime is curved along the particle’s path does not affect the conclusion

Am I “ignoring the issue of the curvature of spacetime”? No. Instead it is obvious that I explicitly address that issue, saying that it “does not affect the conclusion”.
    Son Goku wrote:
    Assymptote's are defined within open sets.
    It asymptotes up to the event horizon. However in general, looking at the whole space there is no asymptote. I'm trying to get you to see this.

I added a reader comment to the paper for this:

Reader: The velocity v asymptotes to c only as low as the Schwarzschild radius, the event horizon.

Author: The analysis above shows that v always asymptotes to c; i.e. as long as the particle falls. General relativity cannot demand otherwise without being inconsistent.

Neither you nor GR can force an inconsistency.
    Escape velocity is a totally Newtonian concept, it is no surprise that it is not defined after the horizon.

Escape velocity is not solely a Newtonian concept. It is obviously also an Einsteinian concept; otherwise GR would not define it anywhere.
    You are using intuitive notions of speed, such as escape velocities to a manifold where the concept can only be used up to a certain point.
    And no it is not okay because your analysis only goes up to that point.

The analysis in section 2 shows that, in a theory consistent with section 1, neither v nor escape velocity can asymptote to c just up to a point beyond which the particle keeps falling.
    Also remember that at the horizon the escape velocity is c. It only asymptotes up to the horizon. If you include the horizon, it doesn't asymptote.

That puts the cart before the horse. If v always asymptoted to c then so would escape velocity (as section 2 shows), in which case escape velocity would always be less than c and then there would be no event horizons. You haven’t refuted my (section 2’s) basis for that. Your attempt to do so above was refuted.

To try to reduce this common illogical contention, I changed a statement in section 2, from “According to general relativity, for any r above the Schwarzschild radius, v equals the escape velocity there” to “According to general relativity, when v is less than c at an r-coordinate r, it equals the escape velocity there”. The second statement is just as valid, but may reduce the frequency of arguments that insist that an event horizon exists despite logic which shows otherwise and takes precedence.
    I don't understand why you think it is something amazing or profound that escape velocity never exceeds c above the horizon.

Nowhere did I suggest anything like that. Section 2 shows that escape velocity cannot be c anywhere in a theory consistent with section 1 (which was inferred by means GR allows), hence a theory consistent with section 1 precludes event horizons.

Zanket wrote:
    Let’s review my quote you responded to here:
    Am I “ignoring the issue of the curvature of spacetime”? No. Instead it is obvious that I explicitly address that issue, saying that it “does not affect the conclusion”.
    How can it not? The particle moves on a geodesic.
    Escape velocity is not solely a Newtonian concept. It is obviously also an Einsteinian concept; otherwise GR would not define it anywhere.
    In certain situations you can use the Newtonian concept of Escape velocity as a mental aid. However it is not defined in GR.
    What is the escape velocity of at a point outside a Kerr-Newman hole for example?

That puts the cart before the horse. If v always asymptoted to c then so would escape velocity (as section 2 shows), in which case escape velocity would always be less than c and then there would be no event horizons. You haven’t refuted my (section 2’s) basis for that. Your attempt to do so above was refuted.

To try to reduce this common illogical contention, I changed a statement in section 2, from “According to general relativity, for any r above the Schwarzschild radius, v equals the escape velocity there” to “According to general relativity, when v is less than c at an r-coordinate r, it equals the escape velocity there”. The second statement is just as valid, but may reduce the frequency of arguments that insist that an event horizon exists despite logic which shows otherwise and takes precedence.
    How does the particle always measuring an escape velocity to be less than mean there is no horizon?
    How can you be confident the concept doesn't just break down?
    You're doing mathematics on a curved manifold, this kind of stuff doesn't work.
    Nowhere did I suggest anything like that. Section 2 shows that escape velocity cannot be c anywhere in a theory consistent with section 1 (which was inferred by means GR allows), hence a theory consistent with section 1 precludes event horizons.
    It is c at r=2M, because there the shell observer is light. Why are you excluding light as a shell observer?
    What General Relativity then says is that after this there are no shell observers, hence no escape velocity.

Either way, it is the mistake you are making. You are just throwing out information about the gravitational field by saying "a non-uniform field is locally uniform everywhere". You are removing all the curvature and simply imposing a constant radial force. This is not how gravity behaves.

What you paraphrased of mine there is valid. You have not shown that I am “removing all the curvature and simply imposing a constant radial force”.
    Yes, it does affect it, and this is where you are getting errors.

You have not shown how it affects the conclusion of the analogy. I repeat the analogy in question here for reference, since you didn’t quote it:
    Zanket wrote:
    A simple example: A nonuniform gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally. Then, given that the particle falls in a uniform gravitational field, I can conclude that it falls in a nonuniform field as well.

The conclusion is, “it falls in a nonuniform field as well”. How does spacetime curvature affect that conclusion? It obviously does not affect it; i.e. it does not change the conclusion.
    I beg to differ. The equations are derived from the equivalence principle and the least action principle (the latter holds in Newtonian physics too).

Then you disagree with Taylor and Wheeler. It doesn’t matter; whatever derivation the field equations have does not prove that they are correctly derived from general relativity’s standalone components.
    The arguement is that the tought experiment is massively flawed. The fact that it lacks rigor is just an obstacle in seeing the flaws. Its much harder to point to a specific line in a very hand-wavy paper than in a rigorous one.

Basically you’re saying that it’s so flawed that it’s hard to show it’s flawed. That’s a weak argument. Anybody could say that without even reading my paper.
    With pleasure:

"Your point is irrelevant because section 1, the only section being discussed in the quote you gave, has nothing to do with Schwarzschild’s solution. That section references only a uniform gravitational field." – Zanket

What you quoted obviously in no way indicates that I “only used those equations in section 1”. More on that below.
    No I didn't. First you started telling me that my arguement only applies to section 1, which is demonstrably, as I have shown, false.

I didn’t say that your argument only applied to section 1. Please quote me.
    Section 2 contains the problems, and when I point this out you claim I'm changing the subject. So deep in this thread the only people likely to read the discussion are you, me and Son Goku. I'm trying to be helpful, and I have nothing to gain by shooting down arguements if they are correct. The problem is that yours aren't.

You referred to section 2 for the first time only midstream, effectively changing the subject. When you refer only to section 1 initially then I cannot be expected to know that you meant section 2.
    You completely neglect curvature. You claim that doing so makes no difference. What I presented is a counter example. A very simple case in which your assumptions are clearly shown to be false.

I do not “completely neglect curvature”. The spacetime of a nonuniform gravitational field is curved. Then the analogy features curved spacetime. You have not shown that its conclusion is false. The analogy shows simply that a local result that applies everywhere can be used to conclude a global result, refuting your claim to the contrary.
    Zanket, I have absolutely nothing to gain by taking your comments out of context. I have nothing to prove here. I am only trying to help you. There are clear mistakes in the paper, and I am trying to point these out, so that you can learn from them.

That’s good to know. But why then do you so often and obviously take them out of context? Maybe you just can’t see that you’re doing that. Your “With pleasure” example above is a prime example. Clearly, nothing at all in the quote of mine you gave indicates I “only used those equations in section 1”. And yet it is your direct “proof” of that.
    If I have taken comments out of the context you intended it is only because I am unclear on what you mean by many of your statements. Your style of writing is very opaque and it is difficult to try to extract a coherent arguement.

Let’s take this quote of mine for example: “Your point is irrelevant because section 1, the only section being discussed in the quote you gave, has nothing to do with Schwarzschild’s solution.” Please tell me how you gathered from that quote that I “only used those equations in section 1”? My quote seems pointed to me. I don’t see how it could have been made any simpler or clearer. And yet you took it out of context.

Zanket wrote:
    The analogy shows simply that a local result that applies everywhere can be used to conclude a global result, refuting your claim to the contrary.
    Zanket I'm considering closing this thread if you continue with comments like this. All you have done is used a local result and proclaimed that it works as a global result. The fact that you have used it is not proof that it is valid. Unless you make a turn around in the way you argue I will close this.
    Half of your explanations just amount to telling us you didn't do something or that something works.
    Basically you’re saying that it’s so flawed that it’s hard to show it’s flawed. That’s a weak argument. Anybody could say that without even reading my paper.
    He is saying that the flaws are entire paragraphs so it is hard to point to any specific area and say what is wrong with it.

Son Goku wrote:
    Zanket I'm considering closing this thread if you continue with comments like this. All you have done is used a local result and proclaimed that it works as a global result. The fact that you have used it is not proof that it is valid. Unless you make a turn around in the way you argue I will close this.

Whenever a mod threatens to close the thread due to disagreeing with the opinions expressed within, which is a no-no in my book, I stop responding to the other posts to focus on that. To do otherwise just wastes my time. (Try to put yourself in my position to see how.) I know from experience that it won’t matter what case I present. Simply because you disagree you will close the thread. The thread is no longer about scientific discussion, but rather about ego. So I am considering no longer responding to this thread.

What I have done is shown, i.e. with basis, that a local result that applies everywhere can be used to conclude a global result. I have not simply “used a local result and proclaimed that it works as a global result”. (italics mine)

But it won’t matter that I have given a basis, and it won’t matter that you cannot refute it. Experience shows that you will still close the thread. It's convenient being the mod in the discussion, eh?

Let’s dissect my analogy, which is:
    Zanket wrote:
    A nonuniform gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally. Then, given that the particle falls in a uniform gravitational field, I can conclude that it falls in a nonuniform field as well; i.e. across any range of r-coordinates.

First, drop any assumption that a particle falls in a nonuniform field. We need not assume that, even though it might seem obvious. Then take the first statement:
    Zanket wrote:
    A nonuniform gravitational field is everywhere uniform locally.

Hard to argue with that, given the definitions in the paper.
    Zanket wrote:
    Then, given that the particle falls in a uniform gravitational field, ...

This is a given, so no arguing with it. And, given the first statement, this is a local result that applies everywhere.

Now the conclusion:
    Zanket wrote:
    ... it falls in a nonuniform field as well; i.e. across any range of r-coordinates

This conclusion follows unequivocally from the first two statements. Then I have shown that a local result that applies everywhere can be used to conclude a global result, refuting your claim to the contrary.
    Son Goku wrote:
    Half of your explanations just amount to telling us you didn't do something or that something works.

I do that only where it is appropriate. It’s just been appropriate often.

Let’s take an example:
    Son Goku wrote:
    Zanket wrote:
    Nowhere did I suggest anything like that.

Is my statement true? Yes. The first use of the words “amazing” or “profound” in this thread are yours. Nowhere have I used a similar word. You misrepresented me.
    He is saying that the flaws are entire paragraphs so it is hard to point to any specific area and say what is wrong with it.

Anyone can say that without even reading the paragraphs, so it’s a pointless argument. And it’s a ridiculous argument. So we can have whole theories that nobody can find a flaw of, because the whole thing is wrong? Give me a break. As a mod, you should be rebuking those who make such arguments, instead of the opposite.

Whenever a mod threatens to close the thread due to disagreeing with the opinions expressed within

Zanket my main apprehension comes from seeing this thread:
    11 page thread involving you and seven research physicists. Three Experimentalists and four Theorists.

Never once did you manage to fully understand their arguements, particularly ZapperZ's one about your use of the equivalence principle.

I would never close something because I disagree with it. This is a technical thread and you are not making a technical standard.

You should learn differential geometry and then go back and attempt to understand Einstein's theory, not attack a water downed version from a text designed for interested secondary school students.

Son Goku wrote:
    Never once did you manage to fully understand their arguements, particularly ZapperZ's one about your use of the equivalence principle.

In post 62, page 5 of that thread ZapperZ expresses the belief that the frame of a ball falling toward a planet in a uniform gravitational field cannot be inertial, simply because the ball is accelerating relative to the planet. That contradicts not only Einstein and the equivalence principle, but also the definition of an inertial frame by Taylor, Thorne, and Wheeler. When I asked him to clarify his belief, he stopped responding and soon thereafter closed the thread.

ZapperZ may be great at whatever type of physics he does for a living, but it seems he doesn’t have even a layman’s understanding of general relativity. (And he’s certainly a poor mod.)
    I would never close something because I disagree with it. This is a technical thread and you are not making a technical standard.

That’s unconvincing from someone who believes that thought experiments are insufficient to advance physics by themselves. You are expressing the bias of a mathematical purist, no more. Since you don’t support your claims, your opinion that I am not “making a technical standard” is indistinguishable from simple disagreement. It’s just a lame excuse for when you close the thread.
    You should learn differential geometry and then go back and attempt to understand Einstein's theory, not attack a water downed version from a text designed for interested secondary school students.

What’s really happening is that you can’t refute my points and refutations of your points, so you consistently ignore them in favor of cheap shots like referencing some other forum and claiming without basis that I don’t understand the theory. Then I don’t expect it to have any affect on your position that my paper uses only a bit of high school algebra to derive a new metric that is shown to be confirmed to all significant digits by all experimental tests of Schwarzschild geometry, which I'd have to be a miracle worker to do without understanding the theory.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement