Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you check your email?

• 19-07-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

How often do you check your email account(s)?

It happens to me that I send an email to someone and I get an answer to it after weeks, as if the receiver saw my email message several days later.
    I can't believe that someone checks their accounts only ten/fifteen times a year.

I check my accounts not less than twice a day, sometimes even four times.
    My GMail account is always up-to-date because my smartphone is always on.

What about you?

Comments

Check in the morning, throughout the day for my work ones, then all again in the evening. Most traffic is through my work one, but I have three others as well for various reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I get notified of an email when it comes in and normally reply right away or within a few hours if needed as I expect the same courtesy from anyone I send emails to. I know many people who work with computers all day and hate the thought of sitting at a computer when they get home. That is why I like the tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

E-Mail?

Whoa whoa whoa! So, writing stuff down on a Canary yellow parchment with a fountain pen and sending it by picture message isn't good enough now, no?

Pfft, E-Mail!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Whenever my phone notifies me of a new e-mail. I might reply straight away or put it off til I have time later.
    E-Mail?

Whoa whoa whoa! So, writing stuff down on a Canary yellow parchment with a fountain pen and sending it by picture message isn't good enough now, no?

Pfft, E-Mail!

Picture messages are so old. I hear carrier pigeons are all the rage now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Nim wrote: »
    Picture messages are so old. I hear carrier pigeons are all the rage now.

Hey now, fancy bastard and your pigeons! I'm stuck with this half blind leper dude, chiselling what I dictate onto a slate. Fcuker takes aaaages!

I have 595 unread emails in my primary account. Il reply when it's important. Mostly spam **** tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have my email accounts liked to my phones so I get notified whenever something comes in.. most don't require any response being advertising or notifications of things like bills, and my friends wouldn't really email each other - We use things like Viber group chats instead.

Work emails are about all that need responses and during the day I try to reply to those as they come in if possible, or within the day anyway.
    If mails arrive in the evening I will have a read and decide if it needs a reply there and then, otherwise I'll deal with it in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Check my home email accounts a few times a day!

Work email is always open when I'm in the office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Too much. Like 15 times a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Work emails no more than twice a day, sometimes only once.
    Personal email, pfft, whenever.
    If its urgent, then phone me,
    If you want my attention, but not immediately, text me.
    If you think I have nothing better to do than checking my emails every hour, then you don't know me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When I worked I got at least 40 emails a day. 2 might have been personal. It wasn't always possible to reply to all instantly. You have to realise that you may not be the most pressing thing on the recipient's agenda. Use the phone if it's urgent, otherwise bide your time as some of us are busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Throughout the day on my work one as it's configured to notify on my work phone.

But for my personal email. I only really check it when I have ordered something. Send me a text if you really want to write to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

So it seems that most of you check your email very often throughout the day, just like I do, and like you I reply as soon as possible if the messages need a reply.
    I think it's a gesture of respect to write back in the shortest time possible and I would expect likewise from the others.
    But it seems that the rest of the world thinks otherwise...

So it seems that most of you check your email very often throughout the day, just like I do, and like you I reply as soon as possible if the messages need a reply.
    I think it's a gesture of respect to write back in the shortest time possible and I would expect likewise from the others.

I think you just read what you wanted to read there. Most people check mail regularly - it's hard not to when alerts keep popping up - but replying when possible for us and in a short time are very different. It's nothing to do with respect. People are just busy. If it's a personal email you want a reply to why not use the phone?
    Business items are a whole different kettle of fish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

All my mail accounts are on my phone so I read as they come in.

It can take up to a week for me to reply if I've to check something out though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭hynesie08

My email is always on because it's synced to my phone, if a work @ shows up I'll read it immediately, if I'm expecting a delivery I'll check regularly for the tracking number. Otherwise it could be weeks or months between checks.

but replying when possible for us and in a short time are very different. It's nothing to do with respect. People are just busy. If it's a personal email you want a reply to why not use the phone?
    Business items are a whole different kettle of fish.

I know, we all have much to do, but sooner or later a reply must be sent.
    Why I don't use the phone? Because sometimes it's a long email with details and requests, and it requires a detailed answer that the other person could need to retrieve before answering.
    Sometimes because it's not that urgent that I have a reply.
    Sometimes because I don't have any telephone number, just the email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Work account is open all day in work. My personal email sends alerts to my phone, so I open that a few times a day, if I get mail that I actually want to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think its riddiculous to expect a reply on the same day, most people go through days without checking their personal emails and even when they do theirs always more junk then actual messages. If you want a quick reply get my work email or have the decency to text and let me know youve sent an email otherwise it may be next week befor I get to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It depends on what email address I'm using. If it's for business or personal emails then I'll check everyday. Other less important email addresses I use, I might check once a week or even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

In the last decade? Probably never, I have a device in my pocket that buzzes whenever I receive a message, so I don't need to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I check my work e-mail very regularly when I'm at work but I'm checking my personal e-mail less and less often. Also, my phone doesn't know I have e-mail addresses, meaning that I don't get notified.

And that's fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...I can't believe that someone checks their accounts only ten/fifteen times a year....

I know quite a lot of people who neither have a smartphone, or use a computer. Others just use a computer for work and have none at home. But its definitely mainly an older demographic.

On the flip side I know a good few younger people who use instant messaging rather than email. They think using email is like using a telegrams. As such don't check emails as much as other things.

You also get lots of people who don't properly manage their email. So their inbox's are full of spam and ads. They might not even notice your email in there, for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I check my email several times over the day,I don't have any alert set though. I don't reply to personal emails immediately or expect others to do so to mine, the tyranny of a little beep demanding instant communication just isn't for me. When I do reply I make an effort with what I say, no "lol:)" or "yeah I know" stuff. I'm just too old school for that I suppose.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I think its riddiculous to expect a reply on the same day, most people go through days without checking their personal emails and even when they do theirs always more junk then actual messages. If you want a quick reply get my work email or have the decency to text and let me know youve sent an email otherwise it may be next week befor I get to see it.

I'm not asking for a same day reply, but if I don't get a reply after three weeks or a a month, then I think it's quite useless to have an email address.
    It's like having a mailbox outside a house and nearly never check if the postman delivered something, and then, after a month, realize that the box is full of everything...

It depends on what email address I'm using. If it's for business or personal emails then I'll check everyday. Other less important email addresses I use, I might check once a week or even less.

Work or office email is checked continously during working days, the other accounts are checked as described in my first post.

In the last decade? Probably never, I have a device in my pocket that buzzes whenever I receive a message, so I don't need to check.

Isn't it just like checking? You don't do it manually, but some way you know that someone has written to you :)

I'm not asking for a same day reply, but if I don't get a reply after three weeks or a a month, then I think it's quite useless to have an email address.
    It's like having a mailbox outside a house and nearly never check if the postman delivered something, and then, after a month, realize that the box is full of everything...

Not quite the same. It's closer to taking in the mail and putting it in a drawer until you have time, or remember, to deal with it. Many people forget to take action on items sent in the post.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I've got my work email and my gmail account on my phone - i check those as mail comes in.

With work, I'll reply straight away Mon-Fri (if I don't need to go and get info first etc, but even then I'll generally reply and say "I'll be in touch once I get the info I need), Sat/Sun - depending on who it's from, I'll either reply, or just mark it as unread and deal with it Monday.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I replied to an email using my gmail - all the emails I get are bill notifications, reported post notifications from boards, that kind of thing, so there's no need to reply.

I also have a hotmail account that I use to sign up for crap that I don't want spamming my gmail account. I check that only after I've signed up for something and need to verify the email address, and even then, I only open the verification email - I don't look at the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I've got my work email and my gmail account on my phone - i check those as mail comes in.

With work, I'll reply straight away Mon-Fri (if I don't need to go and get info first etc, but even then I'll generally reply and say "I'll be in touch once I get the info I need), Sat/Sun - depending on who it's from, I'll either reply, or just mark it as unread and deal with it Monday.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I replied to an email using my gmail - all the emails I get are bill notifications, reported post notifications from boards, that kind of thing, so there's no need to reply.

I also have a hotmail account that I use to sign up for crap that I don't want spamming my gmail account. I check that only after I've signed up for something and need to verify the email address, and even then, I only open the verification email - I don't look at the rest of them.

Its like you hacked my email, looked at my behavior and then wrote this. I am off to the conspiracy forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't really check it, it is just always there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Too often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Isn't it just like checking? You don't do it manually, but some way you know that someone has written to you :)

Well then I guess in that context the answer is "whenever I get an email", which would be a different amount of times every day.

Who am I kidding? Nobody wants to talk to me :(

Work email and personal email are open all day everyday on my desktop so am always monitoring them, usually have a few email conversations running throughout the day with friends so in reality I'm checking my email many many times an hour as I'm replying to the emails I get from them.

When not in the office I check both email accounts with my phone several times per day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Menas wrote: »
    Its like you hacked my email, looked at my behavior and then wrote this. I am off to the conspiracy forum.

Menas wrote: »
    Its like you hacked my email, looked at my behaviour and then wrote this. I am off to the conspiracy forum.

Just realised the same. Work stuff 95% all requires a response. Personal stuff only about 5%. Never noticed that before.

• Advertisement

...It happens to me that I send an email to someone and I get an answer to it after weeks, as if the receiver saw my email message several days later....

So you emailed an email address, that's not their primary form of contact.

Where did you get it from??

beauf wrote: »
    So you emailed an email address, that's not their primary form of contact.

Where did you get it from??

I met those people (in different occasions, they don't know each other) and they left me their email addresses so that we could keep in touch.
    If that's not their primary form of contact they should have told me that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dremo

My phone has zero notifications, and I check my web mail once a day usually every evening. Every morning after meditation and yoga.. I start my day on positive note, there is no way I would read newspaper or read e-mails in the morning and trash my head with zero value things.

I met those people (in different occasions, they don't know each other) and they left me their email addresses so that we could keep in touch.
    If that's not their primary form of contact they should have told me that ;)

Maybe they just don't want to keep in touch. Take the hint.

I rarely go out of my way to check e-mail nowadays because they just get pushed to my phone.

I'd reply almost straight away unless I'm busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Work emails I get notified for both,
    Personal emails I get notified for all of them,
    I'll respond to emails basically straight away.

Thats I was thinking. But then why not just give a fake one then.

They left me their addresses in the first place, I think it means the contrary :)
    One of them did ask me (and made sure I got the message) to send her the pictures I had taken of her dogs :D
    I did it... three weeks ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Once a day or that. I don't really get many emails. I really only check it to see if asos are trying to tempt me with discount codes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Started pushing emails to my phone last year when I was doing a house deal......always swore I would never do it.......never turned it off and probably never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Never. It beeps at me when an email arrives.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nobody important emails me unless its my work email account, so the work email gets check all day when in work but the personal one might be every few days or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Ruu wrote: »
    I know many people who work with computers all day and hate the thought of sitting at a computer when they get home. That is why I like the tablet.

Xanax is it? :pac:

Advertisement