Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probability riddle

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

thetaxman wrote: »
    Fundamentally flawed argument. These events are independent. How does the fact that she has had a girl increase the chance that she will have a boy for second child. Answer this, are the births independent? If you answer yes, the solution to this problem is 0.5. If you answer no, I have no idea where you are coming from.</p>

It's true if her first child was a girl that the second child is independant and the answer would be 50%.

We only know that at least one is a girl, we assume that all four {BB,BG,GB,GG} are equally likely. If we knew nothing other than she has two children we know there's a 0.75 chance she has at least one boy.

Since we know she has at least one girl the events can only be {BG,GB,GG} each event being equally likely, so a 0.67 chance of at least one boy.

Put another way, if every family had two children we would still expect an even balance (more or less) between boys and girls. There's a 0.75 chance that any given family will have at least one girl, so you expect about 75% of all families to have at least one girl, the rest having two boys. If there was a 50% chance that the unknown child in 75% of all families is a girl then:

0.5 x 1.0 x 0.75 = 0.375 (one of the two children IS a girl, half of 75% of families)
    0.5 x 0.5 x 0.75 = 0.1875 (half of the remaining children are girls)
    0.5 x 0.5 x 0.75 = 0.1875 (half of the remaining children are boys)

These three numbers sum to 0.75.

The other 25% of families have two boys

1.0 x 1.0 x 0.25 = 0.25.

This accounts 100% of all children but the gender ratio is now 0.5624:0.4375 in favor of girls. The only assumption was that the answer to the OPs question was 0.5. If you use 0.67 you will get the correct ratio but I just wanted to show the contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Again, the census is macro not micro, I explained this. Debate my points, don't allude to a flawed website. Troll, give it a rest with your ad-hominem attacks.

The census is macro, and this, remember is a random woman. If you pick any person at random you would expect 50/50 male/female, would you not? If you picked two people at random from the entire population of Ireland, you would expect one male and one female, would you not? If, after picking two people at random (completely independent) and I told you one was female, what would you expect the other to be? Your very sanity depends on the answer you give.

By the way, if you are a troll and he calls you a troll, then it's fair.

Next you'll be shouting conspiracy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

There are many things which cannot be explained by science alone.
    This is totally out of balance with nature.
    In my opinion it would roughly break down to 1/3 BB 1/3GG 1/3BG.
    You must be speaking the divinely inspired word of jesus.

Shame that no one else believes you.

When's the crucifiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭thetaxman

Slow coach wrote: »
    The census is macro, and this, remember is a random woman. If you pick any person at random you would expect 50/50 male/female, would you not? If you picked two people at random from the entire population of Ireland, you would expect one male and one female, would you not? If, after picking two people at random (completely independent) and I told you one was female, what would you expect the other to be? Your very sanity depends on the answer you give.

By the way, if you are a troll and he calls you a troll, then it's fair.

Next you'll be shouting conspiracy. ;)

I would not expect it to be male, you are using basic linear logic.

2Scoops wrote: »
    It doesn't though - it's 25% GG, 25% BB and 50% BG. Check any census you like.

Does the census only include two child families?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

We're using logic - no wonder we're getting the correct answer! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

As opposed to multi-dimensional quasi-modal meta-logic?

2Scoops wrote: »
    We're using logic - no wonder we're getting the correct answer! :D

Again, try to understand the point I made. Its like climbing a ladder, you are moving through the steps, basing your next assumption on your previous.

As I said, your sanity depends on the answer. Either you're mad or you're trolling.

Where'd you learn your stats, by the way? In the Conspiracy forum?

Sean_K wrote: »
    As opposed to multi-dimensional quasi-modal meta-logic?

Not really, put things can be certaintly be looked at from different perspectives.

• Advertisement

Does the census only include two child families?

No, but we can limit our population to families with 2 children.

What's your point, anyway? The same idea holds in families of all sizes - there will be an even distribution of sex amongst children. In families, there will tend to be an even mix of girls and boys. For example, a family of 5 girls will be observed less often than a mix of boys and girls.

Again, try to understand the point I made. Its like climbing a ladder, you are moving through the steps, basing your next assumption on your previous.

The only assumptions we make are that the probability of any given sex is 0.5 and that the sex of each child is independent. The rest are logical deductions.

2Scoops, if you are making these assumptions you are not applying them.

Not really, put things can be certaintly be looked at from different perspectives.

Especially in the Conspiracy forum. ;)

Or Green Issues.

2Scoops, if you are making these assumptions you are not applying them.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The way I would argue it is that if the question also specified that the child was the first/second born then the answer is 50%, but the riddle in its current form means that it's 67%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

Yes, I understand the term, you may not.You are defeating your own argument through this last post. Half the population is male, I agree. Therefore the chance of her second child being male is 0.5. If i toss a coin and get heads, will the chance of getting tails with a second toss reach 0.67? No. Answer my question, are the events independent?

For purposes of calculation of probabilities, each successive coin-toss is independent of the previous one. In this example the two events have already happened.
    If someone said they had tossed two coins and the first time came a head, would you then assign 0.5 to the second toss? If so, you are assigning equal probabilities to hh and ht. This runs counter to your argument that 'half the population is male'.

Where's Mdme Vos Savant when you need her?

I think this topic has been exhausted, to most everybody's satisfaction.

For latecomers, thetaxman was a returning banned poster, who was trolling and has since been banned.

I think probability is a very interesting area, and thetaxman actually made people think up new ways to explain an old nugget, until he was spotted as a troll.

I'll lock it, but if anyone has anything further to say (on this specific topic) then feel free to PM me and we'll revisit it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement