Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student loans

• 21-10-2001 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for people who have gotten student loans recenty...

What were the bank people like when you asked them for loads of money? Do they give you money for any purpose?
    Is there a maximum you can borrow?
    Can you pay it all off in a lump sum and if so are there any penalties? (silly question?)
    Do you have to be on a grant?
    Do they try to talk you out of it if you want the money for something insane? :)
    Is any bank better than any other at the moment for student loan terms or rates?

Thanks for reading down this far,

Bosco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

A few years ago I took out a loan, and told them up front that it was for a computer, rent and living expenses. I didn't get a great reaction, but I still got the loan no problem, and they even allowed me to take it without paying much back for a year. They only asked that I pay back £25 every 2 months until my proper payments began.

One thing I will add ... The only other loan I ever intend taking out is a mortgage. Having a college loan left me completely broke for 2 years, and it is an experience I would rather not repeat. So my advice would be to only take one out if you are certain you REALLY need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL, I got a credit card with a 300 pound limit on it and all of a sudden Im in £450 debt, HOW I dont know...... so I wrote an Iriate letter to the bank :(

John

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I got a loan at the start of the year to keep me away from a job in my final year.

I went to the Bank of Ireland whom I have been with since first year. They ask you what course you're studying (they'll like you more if you're doing a course that will guarantee some sort of job at the end). Then they ask you how much you need. Then they give you an indemnity form you have to get a parent or guardian to bring to their bank and get stamped. Then you fill in a form for your bank and bring all forms back. Then you wait a day or so until they make their decision. I got three and a half grand fairly easily. However if you are going back to college next year they require you to have the loan paid off in full by the end of September.

Hope that this helps.

Advertisement