Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of a new alternator

Options
  • 26-05-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

The alternator went on my 5 series yesterday and the mechanic rang me today with a price of 560 incl VAT for it to be reconditioned.

I questioned the price and it's as follows,

240 on the alternator
    60 for the diagnostics
    260 of labour and VAT

Is this price about right, it seems terribly high to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The labour sounds very high for what is normally a very straightforward job. Though I'm not familiar with those cars, maybe in very awkward location. Price of the alternator is a bit steep too but maybe its not a garden variety one

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.mister-auto.ie/alternator/bmw/5-series/
    You can find clips on youtube on how to replace it yourself.

Or ring a few more mechanics and see if they quote you cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

What model and year 5 series is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Car99 wrote: »
    What model and year 5 series is it?

F10 and it's 2011, 520d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

240 on the alternator - Seems about right for a reconditioned one
    60 for the diagnostics - Usually 50-60 so normal enough
    260 of labour and VAT - 3.5 - 4 hours - Maybe price the labour elsewhere for comparison but seems ok.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 fatmax

hi just had one on my ford edge and it was 750 they had to take the front of the car to replace it

BronsonTB wrote: »
    240 on the alternator - Seems about right for a reconditioned one
    60 for the diagnostics - Usually 50-60 so normal enough
    260 of labour and VAT - 3.5 - 4 hours - Maybe price the labour elsewhere for comparison but seems ok.

I appreciate the reply. I just wanted to double check that it wasn't too crazy. It just seems quite expensive to me but I do know the alternator looked like it was in a difficult position to access.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Steamed Clams

canonball5 wrote: »
    I appreciate the reply. I just wanted to double check that it wasn't too crazy. It just seems quite expensive to me but I do know the alternator looked like it was in a difficult position to access.

Pretty sure the alternator on the N47 is actually as easy as it gets? It's right at the top of the engine, just remove the engine cover and it's totally accessible. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/12-engine-electrical-system/12-31-alternator-with-drive-mounting-parts/1VnYCQ9GoX

260e (5 hours labour?) seems excessive. I would have thought 2 hours (1 removal and 1 installation) would have been very generous.

240e for recon seems on the steep side too, but not as excessive as the labour charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Pretty sure the alternator on the N47 is actually as easy as it gets? It's right at the top of the engine, just remove the engine cover and it's totally accessible. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/12-engine-electrical-system/12-31-alternator-with-drive-mounting-parts/1VnYCQ9GoX

260e (5 hours labour?) seems excessive. I would have thought 2 hours (1 removal and 1 installation) would have been very generous.

240e for recon seems on the steep side too, but not as excessive as the labour charge.

You're just making up 5 hours though. It could be two hours at €130 an hour. 3 hours at 85 an hour and so on.

I dont think the general quote is too unreasonable for a recon unit fitted by a good workshop.

I just asked for a breakdown of the charges and it's slightly cheaper now,

240 for the recon alternator
    200 labour
    35 diagnostic.
    13.5% VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah sure you couldn't ask a lad to do it right for less than that.

Advertisement