Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Tiguan - tax band?

• 25-05-2020 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

Specced up a Tiguan Allspace on the VW site and it states the emissions are 191 g/km3

Checking here says this would be €1200 per year.

Am I missing something ? I really wasnt expecting tax to be that high on a new car. Changing the engine to the 150hp petrol shows tax to be still high at €570.

I have seen some dealer ads online stating the tax is €280, so are they wrong or have I calculated it wrong ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Gaz wrote: »
    Specced up a Tiguan Allspace on the VW site and it states the emissions are 191 g/km3

Checking here says this would be €1200 per year.

Am I missing something ? I really wasnt expecting tax to be that high on a new car. Changing the engine to the 150hp petrol shows tax to be still high at €570.

I have seen some dealer ads online stating the tax is €280, so are they wrong or have I calculated it wrong ??

The highest emission Tiguan AllSpace that I can configure is the 2.0 TDI SCR 4MOTION 7 speed DSG at 181g/km. That works out at €750 for the year according to the motor tax website. Not sure where the €1200 is coming from as they don't have an engine with higher emissions.
    That 2.0TDI engine also has 190bhp along with 4 wheel drive which will drive the emissions higher as a result.

Have you managed to configure something different? I literally went for the highest spec I could with the highest performance engine available to select on the website itself.

The standard Tiguan (Not AllSpace) has emissions as low as 142g/km which comes in at €390.

Not sure where the dealers are getting the €280 figure but perhaps it is to do with the change from NEDC to WLTP for emissions calculations? I know that some engines and specs have moved up the tax scale as a result because under the new testing regime, they are producing higher emissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

In the engine selection page of the configurator this is this highest spec

1.jpg

But then it shows as this in the final summary

2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What does the little asterix number 3 relate to after the emissions figure?

In the engine selection page of the configurator this is this highest spec

1.jpg

But then it shows as this in the final summary

2.jpg

Which places it in tax band E (171-190g) which is €750. :)

Still not sure where a dealer is getting their low figure from though but according to the VW website, they are wrong.... Either that, or the VW website is incorrect.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What does the little asterix number 3 relate to after the emissions figure?

When you click on MORE INFO underneath to find the reference, it magically turns in to an asterix 1 instead, which is a long winded explanation of NEDC over WLTP and a disclaimer:

Disclaimer by Volkswagen
    The specified fuel consumption and emission data have been determined according to the measurement procedures prescribed by law. Since 1st September 2017, certain new vehicles are already being type-approved according to the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP), a more realistic test procedure for measuring fuel consumption and CO2- emissions. Starting on September 1st 2018, the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) will be replaced by the WLTP in stages. Owing to the more realistic test conditions, the fuel consumption and CO2- emissions measured according to the WLTP will, in many cases, be higher than those measured according to the NEDC. .......... and more blah from VW after this..... :)

• Advertisement

Miscreant wrote: »
    Which places it in tax band E (171-190g) which is €750. :)

If the final summary number is correct (191g) it pushes it into the next €1200 bracket, no ?
    I just dont know which figure to trust.

I cant find the dealer one I referenced earlier, I suspect it was just an error on the site though.

A3-CED4-D5-F426-48-EA-A310-C78743-E35-D03.jpg

Tiguans registered so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is it that the transition from NEDC to WLTP numbers is finished from 1 July? There had been various suggestions from the Tax Strategy Group last year to modify the bands so as not to penalise anyone. I don’t think anything got enacted. If WLTP is the only available number then that’s what has to be used.

After specing the car again and going to the "more info" bit on the engine this is what is shows. Surely this is plain wrong, misleading and possibly illegal ?

Vehicle details

2.0 TDI SCR 4MOTION 140 kW (190 HP) 7 speed DSG (auto)
    RRP € 58,326.40RRP € 58,326.40 ,

Technical data

WTI
    WLTP Consumption and Emissions
    What exactly is WLTP?
    Diesel
    Consumption Low
    8.8 l/100km1
    Consumption Medium
    7.3 l/100km1
    Consumption High
    6.4 l/100km1
    Consumption Extrahigh
    7.6 l/100km1
    Consumption Combined
    7.3 l/100km1
    Emission Combined
    191 g/km1
    NEDC Consumption and Emissions
    Diesel
    Fuel consumption - urban
    6.4 l/100km1
    Fuel consumption - extra-urban
    5.1 l/100km1
    Fuel consumption - combined
    5.6 l/100km1
    CO₂-emissions - combined
    147 g/km1
    Engine
    Engine type
    Four Cylinder diesel
    Cubic capacity
    2,0 / 1.968 cm³
    Max. output
    140,00 kW
    Max. torque
    400 Nm / 1900 - 3300 1/min
    Fuel tank capacity
    60 l
    Emission class
    EURO 6 DG
    NOx emissions
    54,4 mg/km
    Gearbox
    7 speed DSG (auto)
    Performance
    Top speed (where the law permits)
    210 km/h
    Acceleration, secs 0-100 KM/H
    8,2 s
    Weights
    Unladen weight minimum (EU standard)
    1.845 kg
    Gross vehicle weight
    2.540 kg
    Payload
    493 - 700 kg
    Axle Load Limit Front /Rear
    1.230 kg / 1.360 kg
    Trailer load limits
    Braked 12% incline
    2.500 kg
    Unbraked
    750 kg
    Max. roof load
    75 kg
    Exterior dimensions
    Length minimum
    4.705 mm
    Width
    1.859 mm
    Heigth maximum (EU standard)
    1.674 mm
    Wheelbase
    2.787 mm
    Turning Circle
    ca. 11.900 mm
    Interior dimensions
    Elbow width front/rear
    1.503 mm / 1.500 mm
    Boot capacity ltrs
    - l / 700 l
    Boot capacity ltrs (rear seats folded down)
    1.775 l
    Additional Information
    VRT Rate
    23%
    VRT Band
    C
    Annual Road Tax
    € 390

It also says 147 g/km

• Advertisement

Thats the NEDC value which is obsolete.

After specing the car again and going to the "more info" bit on the engine this is what is shows. Surely this is plain wrong, misleading and possibly illegal ?

Vehicle details

2.0 TDI SCR 4MOTION 140 kW (190 HP) 7 speed DSG (auto)
    RRP € 58,326.40RRP € 58,326.40 ,

Technical data

WTI
    WLTP Consumption and Emissions
    What exactly is WLTP?
    Diesel
    Consumption Low
    8.8 l/100km1
    Consumption Medium
    7.3 l/100km1
    Consumption High
    6.4 l/100km1
    Consumption Extrahigh
    7.6 l/100km1
    Consumption Combined
    7.3 l/100km1
    Emission Combined
    191 g/km1
    NEDC Consumption and Emissions
    Diesel
    Fuel consumption - urban
    6.4 l/100km1
    Fuel consumption - extra-urban
    5.1 l/100km1
    Fuel consumption - combined
    5.6 l/100km1
    CO₂-emissions - combined
    147 g/km1
    VRT Rate
    23%
    VRT Band
    C
    Annual Road Tax
    € 390

So it looks like VW have taken account of the WLTP requirement but not updated their Motor Tax calculation accordingly then.

From doing a quick Google-ising, it looks like the WLTP measurements are used for motor tax since the 191 model year so from the configurator, you would be paying €1200 a year.

For the giggles, I went on to the Volkswagen UK website and they list the same model at 192g/km so not far off, in France it is listed as 181g/km and Germany has it at 176g/km. These are all the WLTP figures I could find without hitting every EU country. I guess the engines are in a slightly different level of tune depending on location?

In any case, if it is a vehicle that interests you and you are prepared to pay nearly €60k for it then does it really matter what the motor tax is? Are you buying it to save on pre-2008 motor tax on a greater than 3 litre car?

If it is something that interests you, then I would suggest you have a chat with a Volkswagen rep who can get the actual figures for you from the manufacturer. This should remove any ambiguity and help you decide on whether you want to take the plunge and buy it or not. Anything else on this forum will be guess work and conjecture (as is this post) based on information from a website that could be incorrect. Info from the horse's mouth is what I would be looking for at this stage.

Advertisement