Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to drink tapwater here?

Options
  • 24-07-2020 2:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I've lived in East Meath only a year and have been drinking the tap water ever since. My family absolutely hates it and buys bottled. The first day I drank it, it tasted of limescale, but I've gotten used to it.

They say it's probably not safe but are they right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Tap Water? That's urine mr_fegelien... Has been for years.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The water is perfectly safe to drink, it just tastes awful.
    Won't do you any harm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Its awful. Out here near Athboy we get large amounts of limescale making it an unrealistic option to drink. We have to use bottled water even in the kettle as we got sick of descaling and throwing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

ELM327 wrote: »
    Its awful. Out here near Athboy we get large amounts of limescale making it an unrealistic option to drink. We have to use bottled water even in the kettle as we got sick of descaling and throwing out.[/QUOTE

Get a water softener

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MzMurfy

I've been drinking it for years, it's perfectly safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'm near Ratoath/Dunshaughlin, the water is safe to drink but its full of limescale which makes it muck to drink - especially noticeable in tea and coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Much of east Meath is supplied from the Drogheda area - this water is very hard. In addition, the lines are old and in poor condition - which means regular enough failures/repairs and flushes. These seem to cause sediments and disturbances of mineral coatings on pipework to be released into the water.

Some is supplied from the Dunshaughlin area, which is a lot less hard and more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Xuro

I installed a 6 stage RO system long ago, it also re-adds minerals, I'm fairly sure TAP water is NOT safe! If you would see how brown the first stage gets only after 3 months you would be disgusted to even think to try and drink this. You might not get sick, but long term I'm sure it won't do your body any good.
    The water quality is absolutely appalling, you can taste limescale and high amounts of chloride.
    Also bottle water is a scam, they remove the bad taste but other then that it is mostly just tap water, safe yourself money and get an RO system and get clean and tasteful water.

You do you though, if you think its ok from TAP.

Advertisement